Fuel pouring out

Leads, coils, plugs, starters, starting probs etc.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Re: Fuel pouring out

Postby ColinBruce » Sun 28.10.2018, 10:07

Thanks guys. I plan to have one more go at tracing the leak myself today before taking it to a professional.
ColinBruce

Postby ColinBruce » Sun 28.10.2018, 19:31

Today I stripped the shelf again to get access to the top of the tank and check for leaks. I rolled several pieces of kitchen paper into a long string and wrapped it tightly around the neck of the tank at the threaded ring, went to a filling station and topped-up fuel, drove the 2 miles home and then checked for leaks. The kitchen paper was bone dry so that rules out the threaded ring as the source of the leak.

The petrol is now leaking onto the garage floor again in a large pool. It is a rapid drip and the bottom of the tank is saturated. I took the N/S/R wheel off and could see wet petrol seeping from high up, but looking down from the top everything I can see and reach looks dry. I have tried to upload a picture to show the leak but I'm not certain when writing this whether the picture will appear in my post. I'm now thinking the leak is where the filler hose meets the tank or perhaps higher up the filler hose and running down the outside of the hose onto the side of the tank. Has anyone else had this?
Pic_1.pdf

I'm not sure if I removed the inner wing liner I would better see what was happening and get better access? Any (polite!) suggestions would be welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ColinBruce

Postby Rambo » Sun 28.10.2018, 20:15

Just be very careful. Large pools of petrol in an unventilated garage, electrical switches with possibility arcing, someone just calling by and dropping a fag butt etc, etc......:shock: :shock:

The whiff of petrol inside the cabin or outside is not good news. I would suggest contacting Kenny Broon asap !
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 28.10.2018, 20:19

It could be that the hose from the filler has loosened or slid a bit away from the tank. That is difficult to get to, but most of the fuel tank is a pain.

Check that the leak is at that level, BUT, DON'T do these tests in your garage!!!! Petrol is extremely flammable and even more so when it is evaporating as the fumes are extremely flammable.

Move the car out into the yard so the only thing you burn up is the car and not your home AND yourself.

It is most likely a crack around the fillre por area and you will need to remove the tank to get a good look at the cause.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby ColinBruce » Tue 30.10.2018, 19:51

You will be relieved to learn I have booked my car in with Kenneth Brown at Hillington for him to investigate further. I'll need to wait a couple of weeks but at least this way I won't blow up myself, my garage or my Elan!
ColinBruce

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Tue 30.10.2018, 19:55

Good to hear.

Sorry it will cost you to get it sorted, but I was badly burnt years ago and skin grafts are not any more fun than replacing the homestead.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Rambo » Tue 30.10.2018, 20:30

ColinBruce wrote:You will be relieved to learn I have booked my car in with Kenneth Brown at Hillington for him to investigate further. I'll need to wait a couple of weeks but at least this way I won't blow up myself, my garage or my Elan!

Great. KB will get to the bottom of your problems. He always got me sorted and is a very good mechanic and nice bloke. Scotty boy will vouch for him too :smt023
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby ColinBruce » Mon 19.11.2018, 14:52

Hi Rambo, you were right about Kenneth Brown getting it sorted, he has removed, repaired, refitted and tested the tank all within a week. My usual garage would have taken much longer. My diagnosis was right and the tank was damaged where the filler pipe meets it. Time will tell whether the repair will last but he seemed confident. He was also good enough to reduce the tickover speed as this had been a bit high since I had the turbo overhauled and a lightweight impeller fitted. I don't know whether anyone else on here has done the latter but it makes a hell of a difference. I reckon the 0-60 is easily 2 seconds quicker and that is after the performance chip! :D
ColinBruce

Previous

Return to Ignition and fuelling