Runaway

Leads, coils, plugs, starters, starting probs etc.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, GeoffSmith, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Nige, Enright, nitroman, algirdas, Sy V, Specky, clemo

Runaway

Postby lotusrepair » Mon 12.08.2019, 00:59

I just finished charging the a/c system and the engine was running normal. I shut the car off to disconnect the charge lines and then went to restart. The engine started normal with normal rpms and then jumped to 4k and held there. I turned it off and check normal things like the cable on the intake and carpet jamming the pedal. There was still slack in the cable at the throttle body and moving the control it snapped back to the idle stop each time. I started the several more times and each time it has a normal idle and then went back to 4k on the tach. I tried hitting the pedal to see if it might change and it just got faster. Not sure what would make the engine go into high revs.

Chris
lotusrepair
Enthusiast

Re: Runaway

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 12.08.2019, 19:43

When either the a/c compressor or PAS pump are going to load the engine a signal is sent to the ECU to increase tickover to prevent engine being stalled by the load.

I would investigate whether the a/c is sending the signal but the compressor is not loading the engine..
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Re: Runaway

Postby lotusrepair » Mon 12.08.2019, 21:12

Today the engine starts and runs fine. ????

Chris
lotusrepair
Enthusiast

Return to Ignition and fuelling