Hard start after installing Ebay injectors

Leads, coils, plugs, starters, starting probs etc.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, clemo, nitroman, Specky, GeoffSmith, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT

Hard start after installing Ebay injectors

Postby chrisP » Wed 28.08.2019, 11:58

Hi, my car was running on two cylinders, so I purchased a set of the Ebay injectors and installed them. The car now needs lots of cranking until it will start - has anyone any suggestions as the injectors are the only things that have been changed?
Some added points -

I had a spare injector and managed to get the old set working as a temporary measure - no cranking needed.
The fuel pump primes as normal when turning the ignition on.
Once the car has fired up initially for a few seconds - subsequent starts are immediate.

Thanks
Chris
chrisP
Fanatic

Re: Hard start after installing Ebay injectors

Postby Rambo » Wed 28.08.2019, 12:34

You mention that you can hear the fuel pump prime as per normal but are you allowing sufficient time for the fuel pump to refill the lines and fuel rails before the engine cranks ?

Just another thought ....... Presumably you disconnected the battery when you replaced the injectors ? It might be worth disconnecting again and seeing if this makes any difference to starting/cranking

JohnW is the latest LEC'r to have experienced injector problems. Maybe he can throw some light on your particular problem ?
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby wayne » Wed 28.08.2019, 21:22

Hi Chris,

If problem started when you changed the injectors, then it would look like an injector problem to me. Could be wrong.

If you need to borrow a spare set of injectors to have a play with, I have a couple of spare sets here. 1 was bought from eBay in the US, new old stock and the others are supposed to be working used set from a UK car (none tested).

Would be happy to send you either set for you to try out to see if they fixed your problem, but would need them returned to my UK address. neither set is currently for sale but happy to lend them out to you if needed to help you diagnose your problem.
1992 Pacific Blue, Top end performance Kit. K&N airfilter& HKS BOV. Everest. HiSpec fronts, SS hoses. 2010 Canyon red Evora.
http://www.elanm100.com
wayne
God

Postby chrisP » Thu 29.08.2019, 12:02

Thanks for the replies gents.
Yes I am allowing time for the pump to do its job, I even tried turning the ignition on several times before cranking, to make sure that the system is full of fuel. It didn't help. I didn't disconnect the battery when I installed them, I used the fuel cut off switch to empty the system. But I suppose a reset of the ECU through a battery disconnect might work, cheers for the idea.
Thanks for the offer Wayne, I have an almost working set of injectors here, (i swapped out one of the two faulty ones with a brand new spare I have and the system ran) I may look into getting the whole set rebuilt....

Best Regards
Chris
chrisP
Fanatic

Postby Simon_P » Thu 29.08.2019, 12:08

chrisP wrote:reset of the ECU through a battery disconnect might work
Yes you should do that anyway.

You don'y mention which Injectors from Ebay. Did you check that they were peak and hold?

Open or closed loop?
Simon_P
God

Postby John_W » Thu 29.08.2019, 12:37

Rambo wrote:JohnW is the latest LEC'r to have experienced injector problems. Maybe he can throw some light on your particular problem ?

Sorry, but like I said on Chris’s “Running on two Cylinders” thread and on the “2-Cylinder Elan” thread I just replaced the injectors with the ones I bought from the USA seller on ebay and it worked fine. I readjusted the CO pot and idle air screw to get things idling smoother, but that’s all.

It was a Delphi set I bought off the eBay seller “fuel-injectors” in the USA a couple of years ago (their part no is U171053-4N)
:smt102
John
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby chrisP » Thu 29.08.2019, 13:53

Yep I think that they are the same type as yours John - these ones:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-4-BRA ... 1637275013

I have a closed loop conversion on a Series one SE Simon

Cheers Chris
chrisP
Fanatic

Postby Simon_P » Thu 29.08.2019, 14:50

Hi Chris,

You will probably find that the ECU reset fixes it. The Flow rate of those injectors is a bit lower than standard so it is probably a bit lean. reset and go for a drive - The O2 sensor should calibrate for the lower flow.
Simon_P
God

Postby Rambo » Thu 29.08.2019, 16:39

Surprised you didn't disconnect the battery when you replaced the injectors. I'm sure it's the recommended approach ?

I too think a battery disconnect for a short period of time will allow for an ECU reset

PS out of interest do a "paperclip test" before you disconnect the battery. You might have a fault code(s) stored
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby John_W » Thu 29.08.2019, 16:45

chrisP wrote:Yep I think that they are the same type as yours John - these ones:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-4-BRA ... 1637275013

I have a closed loop conversion on a Series one SE Simon

Cheers Chris

:smt045
Yup, they're the ones.

My car is an SE with the standard CO pot open-loop setup.

John
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby chrisP » Thu 29.08.2019, 17:09

It is nearly the weekend so I will have a test over the next few days and report back - in the hope it helps someone else.
Chris
chrisP
Fanatic

Return to Ignition and fuelling