Idle Flare at Cold start

Leads, coils, plugs, starters, starting probs etc.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, GeoffSmith, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Nige, Enright, nitroman, algirdas, Sy V, Specky, clemo

Re: Idle Flare at Cold start

Postby johnj » Sat 03.08.2019, 09:25

My new purchase has the idle flare problem. The right angle connector that goes into the part marked DOHC 16V is spilt. When the engine is running I can hear air being sucked in. Where can I buy a replacement for the broken pipe?
johnj

Postby GeoffSmith » Sat 03.08.2019, 10:06

I bought a metre of 6mm silicone hose from Auto Silicone Hose (ashhose) for £3 and fitted it without the problematic right angle bend.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby johnj » Sat 03.08.2019, 11:04

Thanks .
johnj

Postby peteoddcar » Sat 03.08.2019, 11:49

Hi John J
I am not an admin person but it’s great to give a location on your profile even if as generic as the county
Peteoddcar - Pacific Blue SE 1990
other sins :- 72 Dolomite Road Rally Car.'
peteoddcar
Enthusiast

Postby johnj » Sun 04.08.2019, 15:49

While waiting for the tubing to solve the problem with the right angled tube I felt the tube next to it. This smaller pipe felt scaly so I thought another one to change. I was not pulling the pipe but the other end came off its nipple, The tube's length gives me an approximate area to look in, but I have looked for ages and cannot see a nipple or connector for this pipe. Can someone please tell me where the connector is? :banghead:
johnj

Postby dapinky » Sun 04.08.2019, 16:44

Johnj,

I (and a few other people on here) have replaced all of my vacuum pipes with blue silicone vacuum hose - 3mm inside diameter. There are a few different suppliers on fleabay (and elsewhere), but you need to make sure that you use hose designed for vacuum, as it has a thicker wall to prevent it from deforming under negative pressure and closing up.

The pipe you refer to goes to the spherical vacuum 'storage' container (if you can store a vacuum!) - this is located in the void between the clamshell and the wheelarch liner on the left-hand side of the car (from the drivers seat). You need to remove the wheelarch liner and look into the space by the 'A' pillar and you will see it.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby johnj » Sun 04.08.2019, 18:24

Thanks for the reply.

I had just had the wheel arch liner off as I have just changed the headlight motor on the passenger side. I could not get the screw nearest the passenger compartment out as I did not want to grind it off as I did with the bolts holding the wheel arch in (I did not know if I would get another screw in so best leave well alone). Do I need to take this screw out and if so what is the best method?

When I bought the car it came with a bag of Samco hoses and a length of 3mm diameter back silicon hose that I believe is vacuum hose.

I cannot get the 3mm hose to fit on the nipple for the right angled pipe. this nipple measure about 7.5mm so I have ordered some 6mm hose as suggested by Geoff Smith, This is I think the hose that goes into the cars wing.

The hose to the right of the right angled pipe (looking from the front of the car) is the one that came away when I touched it. This nipple at 'engine' side is about 5mm so the 3mm pipe fits. The pipe that came off measures about 10- 12 inches in length which gives me area to look in but after extensive searching I cannot find the nipple it connect to.
johnj

Postby dapinky » Sun 04.08.2019, 20:01

Ah, yes - with you now.....

The two pictures from the parts list may help you to see where it should go (or at least give you a clue) - a couple of thoughts are:-

1) not all cars are necessarily piped the same - sometimes they get put in wrongly, but still work as a vacuum is a vacuum, whichever nipple it comes from.
2) Do you have a dump valve fitted? Usually the big nipple on the rear of the intake manifold is just 'plugged' (on a UK SE without A/C) and is thus a 'spare' which I use for the dump valve.
3) if it is only a short length of pipe, the 2 choices are that it goes at the end of its current length, or it has broken at that point..... maybe it should attach to the secondary throttle gubbins - which is a small cylindrical contraption (either blue or grey, depending on what was grabbed at the factory) which is bolted to the back of the block underneath the inlet manifold - - right where it is hardest to see.

heater pipes.jpg

vacuum pipes.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby johnj » Mon 05.08.2019, 20:09

Hi

If I read the diagrams correctly (looking from the front of the car) left hand nipple is for the right angle pipe that goes to the vacuum reservoir as mine does, so OK.

In diagram two, the bottom of the two nipples on the right goes to a none return, which I think mine does.

As I said in a previous post I did not touch the pipe from the upper nipple on the right very hard and the pipe came away in my hand. Having searched for several hours and taken video I never saw anywhere it could connect to. Looking at diagram two, the pipe from the top right nipple goes nowhere. I therefore think that this is a dummy pipe. My new question is should I put a plug in the end of the pipe?
johnj

Postby dapinky » Mon 05.08.2019, 20:30

As stated, the 'big' nipple is usually just blanked off with a rubber cap thingy (like the cover on a brake bleed nipple).... if your's has a short pipe on it, then it is something that a previous owner or mechanic has fitted.

It could be that it was previously used for a dump valve which has since been removed, and the pipe left in situ - but it should be blanked off if that is the case, otherwise there will be a vacuum leak which will affect the fueling of the car as it will confuse the MAP sensor and other things.

Simply sticking a small diameter bolt in the hose will work - and it's quite handy to see if there are any other vacuum leaks in the system...... if you simply block it with a finger you should hear/feel the idle revs change as the sensors work out what is happening - if there is no change (except when the car is in 'service mode') then there is another leak somewhere which you will need to find!
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby Simon_P » Mon 05.08.2019, 21:42

You should have 5 vac hoses. 3 on the back and 2 under the throttle body.

On the back
1.secondary throttle
2.heater system Vacuum
3. Evaporative system purge
These are larger bore(ie th hole is bigger)

under the throttle body - these are restricted
4. EGR solenoid valve
5. Evaporative system Solenoid valve

From your description it sounds like you are missing the secondary throttle connection which goes to a connection under the plenum in the middle... which you can't see.
Simon_P
God

Postby johnj » Mon 28.10.2019, 21:45

I still have the problem but looking through wikilec I saw an article on finding a boost leak using an inner tube. So this weekend I tried the inner tube idea and found no leaks from any vacuum pipes although when I removed a vacuum pipe from the plenum a good flow of air exited. I did however find an air leak from a loose jubilee clip on the large bore pipe from the wing. I thought this is it sorted :D. Started the car engine immediately reved to 3000+. Switched it off and went inside :banghead: . Any ideas?
johnj

Postby Giniw » Mon 28.10.2019, 22:12

I would try this if I were you:
http://wikilec.com/view/Boost_leak
Giniw
God

Postby scotlan » Fri 01.11.2019, 14:57

Simon_P wrote:You should have 5 vac hoses. 3 on the back and 2 under the throttle body.

On the back
1.secondary throttle
2.heater system Vacuum
3. Evaporative system purge
These are larger bore(ie th hole is bigger)

under the throttle body - these are restricted
4. EGR solenoid valve
5. Evaporative system Solenoid valve

From your description it sounds like you are missing the secondary throttle connection which goes to a connection under the plenum in the middle... which you can't see.

Hi
Just read this and hopefully, you can tell me about the small vacuum pipe which leaves the inlet manifold just above the letter "V" on the manifold (on the air intake side). Where does it connect to, mine is severed after about 12 inches, so destination unknown and is an open pipe, not helping with tick-over issues, I'm sure.

Any more hints on how to locate your number 1. at the plenium end, as it seems to be that pipe?

UPDATE: I think I have identified it as the "Ventilation System Take Off".
scotlan

Previous

Return to Ignition and fuelling