Fuelpump bracket question

Leads, coils, plugs, starters, starting probs etc.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, GeoffSmith

Fuelpump bracket question

Postby glennjohn » Sun 01.11.2020, 21:48

Hi guys, I’m Glenn John from Amsterdam. I bought a lotus elan that stood outside in a garden for 6 years because the gas pump was broken. In the meantime I have removed the fuel pump from the tank, it was quite rusty and the filter was completely gone. When removing the pump I found a rubber at the top of the pump bracket at the bottom seemed to have been a rubber to. I've already had contact with sj cars but they could only help me with a new fuelpump.

I will try to upload some pictures. Thanks for your time!

if anyone is curious about t project you can follow me on instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/CGz_tEsh1J0/?igshid=dpyeoj5qjnlp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
glennjohn

Re: Fuelpump bracket question

Postby TorqueHorse » Mon 02.11.2020, 18:28

Hi Glenn John,
Welcome and congrats on the new project!

If you haven't already, then you should download the Service Manual and the Parts Guide as helpful reference docs, available under the Manuals tab, at the top nav bar of this site.

In looking at those docs, there isn't really a breakout of the specific components at the part number level. It is just the whole the pump and sender as an assembly (I'm looking at pages 447 and 322 respectively). If you are trying to get back exactly to stock, that would seem very hard, but if you are just trying to get something to work, then getting a new pump (and filter sock) seems like all you need. You can see someone else before me got rid of my 'pulsator' and just attached a new pump into the pipes with some flexible hose. It's not pretty, but it works.

Good luck!
'90 FED M100 -mid resto
Chassis Exterior FrSus RrSus Engine Trans Wheels Steering Brakes Cooling Fuel Ventilation Exhaust Interior
TorqueHorse
Enthusiast

Postby HJ2 » Tue 03.11.2020, 10:08

Welkom bij de club!
Waar heb je die witte opgeduikeld?

Ik kan misschien wel een tweedehands exemplaar leveren van de pomp,
Laat maar weten of dat wat is.

Sorry for the Dutch guys!
I’ll continue in English :-)
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Postby glennjohn » Tue 03.11.2020, 14:15

Thanks for your help guys!

My local Turkish autoshop has a Opel pump that might fit but because of the poor state of the rest of the system I might consider a used replacement part.

I found the car near Gouda ( between the cheeses ;-) at a TVR garage were it was sitting in the back garden. The owner of the car forgot his lotus. Kinda strange story. I wil update the instagram photos soon. Took al the melted sludge out of the tank today
glennjohn

Postby HJ2 » Wed 04.11.2020, 20:50

Barnfind! :D
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Postby glennjohn » Thu 05.11.2020, 19:43

The pump works again but the engine doesnt get any fuel. I think the injectors are cluttered. Luckily this forum tells me how to get them out. I took the clips of but they are still stuck in the fuelrail. Also I couldn’t push the rail up on the righthand side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
glennjohn

Postby TorqueHorse » Thu 05.11.2020, 23:02

Nice work!

I remember getting the injectors out (and back in) to be a real pain. I could never get enough leverage it seemed, or fit my fat hand down in far enough. I think I used a screwdriver and lots of swear words to finally leverage it free. You MAY be able to get the injectors to work again without taking them out though. People who have done it might be able to give you better, more specific, advice, but I think a common trick is to apply an electric current directly to each injector, in a rapid fashion. With an injector still attached to the car fuel rail (or not) , you unplug the electrical connector and then from a battery and some wire, tap, tap, tap a connection really quick on the injector leads. You should be hearing the clicking of the valve opening and closing. Just doing this a few times, might break the nozzle free if it was stuck with crud. Then try and run the engine with fuel injector cleaner additives in the gas to keep cleaning them.

And just to make sure, did you see evidence of gas when you took the fuel pressure regulator off the fuel rail?
'90 FED M100 -mid resto
Chassis Exterior FrSus RrSus Engine Trans Wheels Steering Brakes Cooling Fuel Ventilation Exhaust Interior
TorqueHorse
Enthusiast

Postby glennjohn » Sat 21.11.2020, 14:18

What a hell but I got the injectors out. They were al blocked but I got 3 of them open again. One doesn’t click and gets quite hot after some attempts to open it. So I have to find a new one. Or do you suggest to get 4 new ones? All suggest are welcome !
glennjohn

Return to Ignition and fuelling