Not starting

Leads, coils, plugs, starters, starting probs etc.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, GeoffSmith

Re: Not starting

Postby AllenG » Thu 16.07.2020, 11:40

Unlike some, I have never given my car a name. As of today I will be calling it Lazarus! Unfortunately I cannot pin point anything I did to fix the problem. Went around the car again checking fuses and relays, found a blown fuse which I hadn’t noticed before, it was an in-line fuse inside the steering column shroud. No idea if this was the problem or not. So to try to avoid a repeat of this saga, I’m about to phone a local auto electrician who does alarms/ immobilisers etc and ask for the whole of the existing system to be removed and replaced with a modern one, nothing fancy just something that works and is reliable. Many thanks to everyone who pitched in with suggestions, especially Jonathan. Cheers Allen
AllenG

Postby Saltire » Thu 16.07.2020, 13:47

Very interesting. To the best of my knowledge and belief, there are NO in-line fuses in the steering column area in the standard car. I strongly suspect it’s that alarm/immobiliser wiring again. Good idea to dispose of it ASAP :-D
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2 no 512, BRG/magnolia, last of 4 UK S2 to this spec
2019 VW Golf R - “The Flying Tomato”
2020 Volvo XC40 T4 AWD
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby CallMeLegend » Thu 16.07.2020, 13:56

Missy wouldn't start properly the other day. Started, then coughed to a halt. The wouldn't restart.

Turned out she needed fuel!!!!
CallMeLegend
Fanatic

Postby AllenG » Thu 16.07.2020, 14:41

Saltire wrote:Very interesting. To the best of my knowledge and belief, there are NO in-line fuses in the steering column area in the standard car. I strongly suspect it’s that alarm/immobiliser wiring again. Good idea to dispose of it ASAP :-D

Agreed, I had taken the shroud of again to have another look at the immobiliser ‘socket’, found nothing wrong. But had a look up underneath the column and spotted a loop of wire....with an inline 5amp fuse.....blown. Car now booked in for next week. Instructions to garage, remove old alarm and immobiliser, fit new alarm. So I’m leaving the hood stowage area ‘de-panelled’ that they have easy access. Again, thanks for your help Jonathan.
AllenG

Postby AllenG » Thu 16.07.2020, 14:44

:gathering:
CallMeLegend wrote:Missy wouldn't start properly the other day. Started, then coughed to a halt. The wouldn't restart.

Turned out she needed fuel!!!!
AllenG

Postby AllenG » Wed 24.03.2021, 15:25

It’s been some time since I originally posted looking for help on this topic, sorry I should have closed it out earlier.
The car had the old immobiliser/alarm completely stripped out. Garage traced a ‘strange’ low pitch clicking sound to the immobiliser which was mounted behind the dash (it was cylindrical and about the size of an spray can) it was this that had gone bad and prevented the car from starting. New system fitted and all has been fine, the wallets a bit lighter though!
AllenG

Postby Saltire » Wed 24.03.2021, 21:25

Hi Allen, pleased you’re sorted - and just in time for summer too, provided El Presidente Sturgeon allows :twisted:
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2 no 512, BRG/magnolia, last of 4 UK S2 to this spec
2019 VW Golf R - “The Flying Tomato”
2020 Volvo XC40 T4 AWD
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Previous

Return to Ignition and fuelling