Engine misfire - fuel injectors

Leads, coils, plugs, starters, starting probs etc.

Moderators: theelanman, nitroman, Specky, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, GeoffSmith, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Re: Engine misfire - fuel injectors

Postby Grant » Fri 28.08.2015, 19:36

After just completing my new front brake install, I have found that I now have this problem as well. Grrrrr!
While road testing the new brakes, I found that every time I drove the car for a short stint, shut it off and re-started, it would be back to what feels like 2 cylinders. Putting the gas to the floor would sometimes help to kick-in all four cylinders.

Unfortunately, I had this same issue back in 2010, but I cant remember if I replaced all 4 or just 2 of the injectors. I kind of hope I only replaced 2 at the time, and it is now the other 2 that are failing. I hate to think the injectors only lasted 5 years.
Grant
Tinkerer

Postby c4mun » Sat 29.08.2015, 22:25

OK I went through the process of checking why my engine was running on 2 cylinders by removing individual plug leads. ! & 3 were not firing (and also plugs looked clean - no fuel). Then measure the resistance of all injectors and No.3 was very low.
Left off the connector for 3 and it started running on 3 cylinders not 2. Hence 3 was bringing 1 down when connected.
So replaced with MFI559 injectors - all 4.
Now runs nicely on all 4 cylinders, but some backfires and lots of popping and banging?
Any ideas? Can the ECU cope with the MFI559 injectors? Where do I go to get an analysis?
c4mun

Postby Grant » Tue 22.09.2015, 23:46

Replaced all 4 injectors and fuel filter this weekend. Not sure what was more challenging the fuel filter or the injectors. Probably the fuel filter, as it didn't occur to me that I would have to remove the carpet and the floor from the hood stowage compartment to get to it. I did have a bit of trouble getting the filter out at first though since the fitting at the rear of the filter seemed to be rust seized to the line, so I could not reverse it out without twisting the line. So instead I removed the front fitting first (not seized) and then twisted the filter free of the rear fitting. I also managed to kink the front fuel line when reinstalling the filter, so be very careful that the line does not twist or kink when reinstalling like I did. The front line needs to be pointing straight up.

In the end the whole project went pretty smooth, and she is up and running again!
Grant
Tinkerer

Previous

Return to Ignition and fuelling