Misfiring

Leads, coils, plugs, starters, starting probs etc.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Re: Misfiring

Postby epipete » Fri 12.06.2015, 21:43

Well done Pascal, it does appear that you are getting to the heart of the problem, I look forward to you recieving and installing the new CTS to see if this resolves the problems.
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby Simon_P » Fri 12.06.2015, 22:21

Be careful not to over tighten the new CTS - It is a tapered thread - The housing will crack!
Simon_P
God

Postby HJ2 » Fri 12.06.2015, 22:22

Top Tip!
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby Pascal » Sat 13.06.2015, 16:34

Ok for 'not overtightening, thank you.

1° CTS not yet arrived, so I decided to put a fix resistance in the cts plug. A 220 ohms, it gives 93 °C on the ElanScan (maybe a 330 ohms is better).
Was a bit difficult to start (garage at 22°C) but it did with some throttle help.
After some minutes, I had the pleasure to see water out of the exhaust instead of smoke. I waited for the engine properly hot and I had a 15 km drive to clean my engine.
The car ran perfectly with this cheat signal. Generaly speaking all seems to be back to normal operation and maybe better that ever.

2° This for HJ2 ... yes I must do base timing now :wink: as I removed the CAS for acess.

3° I have received a Denso (or Mazda equivalent) fan switch sensor according to wiki controversial suggestion and I confirm that thread doesn't fit, please write the proper note in the wiki (I wouldn't make a cr*p in the wiki ... ).

Next with a new CTS ... Pascal
2019 May - Ieper Lotus Day ! I'm not ready ! I need a hair cut ! Pascal - North of France - 1991 SE Turbo Calypso (faded to pink) Red and an additional Elise somewhere in the garage
Pascal
Enthusiast

Postby Pascal » Wed 14.10.2015, 21:18

closing this topic now,
after driving some time with a fix resistor in place of the CTS.
Yes I changed the CTS (I used the cross reference you suggested, it works perfectly.) , and also the 'calorstat' (thermostat).

--> Changing this cheap component (advice of my mechanics) has stabilised the engine temperature and it is now smoother (and a bit higher according to the jauge : 1st quarter, stable).
Old faded pink is at its best now ...

Thank you friends, See you,
Pascal
2019 May - Ieper Lotus Day ! I'm not ready ! I need a hair cut ! Pascal - North of France - 1991 SE Turbo Calypso (faded to pink) Red and an additional Elise somewhere in the garage
Pascal
Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Ignition and fuelling