Fuel pouring out

Leads, coils, plugs, starters, starting probs etc.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Re: Fuel pouring out

Postby HJ2 » Fri 18.09.2015, 16:22

option 1 sounds very plausible to me...
Fill her up (with a jerrycan whilst cold) and repeat the procedure...
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby Jon » Fri 18.09.2015, 16:27

Thanks H2J - that is so obvious I'm seriously embarrassed that it didn't even cross my mind....I was considering the rather complicated solution of jacking up the far side of the car to push the fuel towards the filler side.... :oops:
Jon
Enthusiast

Postby Jon » Wed 23.09.2015, 12:25

I've filled up the car using a jerrycan today - readied the ignition, no fuel leak, started the car, no fuel leak, driven the car, no fuel leak....now I'm at a complete loss....

Where did all the fuel come from last week and why is it not coming from the same place this week??

Seriously odd!
Jon
Enthusiast

Postby dapinky » Wed 23.09.2015, 12:44

Okay, here's a random thought (but I'm all out of logical ones!)...

...is there any possibility that there is a split in the filler hose (or connection loose) between the bit you pour petrol in and the bit where it joins the tank?

Is there any chance that when petrol is being filled under pressure (pump pressure as opposed to gravity from a jerry can) that some fuel may have escaped and settled somewhere inside the recesses behind the tank (under the hood stowage area) - and when the car moved, it could slosh about and fall to the ground????

As I said - I'm all out of decent ideas, and as the wise man once said "When you've exhausted all likely possibilities, you are left only with unlikely ones, and however improbable, what you're left with is the truth" (sort of paraphrased version of Winston Churchill paraphrased from Thomas Eddison!)
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Jon » Wed 23.09.2015, 12:55

Good question - I was certainly wondering whether something to do with filling it could have caused the issue.

That said, there was no evidence of any fuel leak in the area under the filler pipe - which would have been the obvious place for it to collect.

Also given the car was stood standing in the garage for 6 weeks, I would have though that any fuel which was in any way open to the elements would have evaporated and/or made the garage smell??

I have to admit that I'm highly puzzled all round....

Perhaps my next stop is a filling station to see if I can recreate the pressure fill?
Jon
Enthusiast

Postby CalElan » Wed 23.09.2015, 19:10

-- Maybe you can work out your own conclusions as to how I came to this question ---

You don't happen to have a son or daughter of car driving age, with perhaps their first car and a limited budget to put gas in it do you?
Perhaps that child might own a jerry can and a length of hose?

-- Btw what is the statute of limitation on liberating fuel from your parent's car I wonder??
CalElan
Enthusiast

Postby Jon » Wed 23.09.2015, 19:38

:lol:

No, on all counts - though the thought of my two year old purchasing a jerrycan, obtaining the garage and car keys and syphoning off fuel does thoroughly amuse me (though I guess it will do so far less in 15 years time when he probably starts to....).

I would have thought that stealing your parents petrol would surely be a misdemeanor and therefore in California only have a "legal" 1 year statue of limitations. Of course, I've generally found the "parental" statue of limitations lasts for life.... :chair:
Jon
Enthusiast

Postby CalElan » Wed 23.09.2015, 21:10

Jon wrote::lol:

I would have thought that stealing your parents petrol would surely be a misdemeanor and therefore in California only have a "legal" 1 year statue of limitations. Of course, I've generally found the "parental" statue of limitations lasts for life.... :chair:

that's the truth.. I'd like to point out I was only alluding to a possible situation and luckily my parents are not on here.. :oops:
CalElan
Enthusiast

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 29.09.2015, 12:23

What about full tank and enthusiastic drive moves the tank and opens up a crack. Less fuel and investigations allows tank to move and crack stops leaking.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Jon » Tue 29.09.2015, 12:38

GeoffSmith wrote:What about full tank and enthusiastic drive moves the tank and opens up a crack. Less fuel and investigations allows tank to move and crack stops leaking.

Are you suggesting that I reverse out of my garage too enthusiastically? :lol:
Jon
Enthusiast

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 29.09.2015, 12:42

Don't we all?
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Jon » Thu 01.10.2015, 09:35

Just as an update...

I had my mechanic take a look at the car today - there was definite signs of a small amount of fuel residue on the fuel pump power cable and the corner/bottom of the fuel tank towards the centre of the car (below the fuel pump position).

However, absolutely no sign of any current leak while static or running.

Nor any sign of current or former leak anywhere around the fuel pump....

So for the moment it is still very much a mystery!

So I've decided that we'll take the "wait and see" approach rather than "pull the car apart".
Jon
Enthusiast

Postby HJ2 » Thu 01.10.2015, 10:19

... Perhaps you can perform a leak down test on the fuel tank?
... might help for a good night rest... :-D
HJ2
God

Postby Jon » Thu 01.10.2015, 10:39

HJ2 wrote:Perhaps you can perform a leak down test on the fuel tank?

What is one of those?
Jon
Enthusiast

Postby HJ2 » Thu 01.10.2015, 13:07

... A friendly garage that pressurizers the tank (Only a little!) and then monitor the pressure to see if it drops due to a leak.
If it is a crack somewhere, it will show immediately though.
Last edited by HJ2 on Thu 01.10.2015, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.
HJ2
God

Postby Jon » Thu 01.10.2015, 13:08

Thanks again H2J - I'll ask my guy to do that when I take it in next!
Jon
Enthusiast

Postby Jon » Thu 01.10.2015, 16:55

So I took the car out for a run this afternoon, then left the car running on the drive for about 5-10 minutes while I balanced my tyre pressures with a gizmo plugged into the cigarette lighter.

After I put the car in the garage and turned it off, there was a noise for several minutes which I've never noticed before - my guess is a pump - and a drop of fuel on the garage floor (plus a general smell of fuel). Though no evidence of anything else coming from the car....

Which leaves me with some questions....

Is the noise the fuel return pump - pumping back unused fuel from the engine now the car is stopped? And is that the pump which is behind the panel in the battery compartment? Edit: No, now looking at the diagrams I see that is the fuel filter not a pump at all....

Is it that expected/usual for it to run for several minutes (I can't say that I've ever noticed it in the past 15 years....certainly not for any significant length of time after I've turned the engine off).

Am I just getting mad and paranoid???
Jon
Enthusiast

Postby epipete » Thu 01.10.2015, 18:40

The pump is submerged inside the fuel tank, I don't know for sure but Id be surprised if it continues to run after the ignition I switch off, why would it, if its not running there is neither need to push fuel around or create any fuel pressure - maybe a faulty relay?

But whatever, even if I continues to run it should, like your own blood supply, be contained, you'd be a bit concerned if, after every exertion, you developed a nose bleed!
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby CalElan » Thu 01.10.2015, 18:43

Are you sure the noise was fuel related?

If you'd had the car standing on the drive running while you sorted the tires I'm guessing it got quite hot. Are you sure it wasn't the electric water pump you could hear?
Sits at the front right of the engine bay.
CalElan
Enthusiast

Postby Jon » Thu 01.10.2015, 19:07

CalElan wrote:Are you sure the noise was fuel related?

If you'd had the car standing on the drive running while you sorted the tires I'm guessing it got quite hot. Are you sure it wasn't the electric water pump you could hear?
Sits at the front right of the engine bay.

Hmm yes, could have been - it was definitely warming up, the fans had been on so I guess it would make total sense that it was the water pump....said I'm getting paranoid....
Jon
Enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to Ignition and fuelling