anybody used these leads?

Leads, coils, plugs, starters, starting probs etc.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

anybody used these leads?

Postby steble » Fri 22.01.2016, 11:20

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111755542443? ... EBIDX%3AIT

tbh main reason i like them is the colour lol

Don't know if they are any good or not
YELLOW ELAN M100
CLASSIC MINI RIO WITH B16A2 VTEC ENGINE
SUZUKI IGNIS SPORT
MINI MAYFAIR SOON TO BE RALLY SPEC
steble
Enthusiast

Re: anybody used these leads?

Postby rip » Fri 22.01.2016, 12:43

I like the price.

Other replacements available are Magnecor & Kingsborne. Magnecor are which are about double the cost for 8mm & a little less for 7mm, but still well above the cost of these.
Kingsborne cost a similar amount but they need to be imported from the US so you would have to pay import duty.
I believe both of these are handbuilt to order so I would expect the e-bay ones to be of similar quality.

I would certainly try these if I needed new cables & I'm tempted to buy some as spares.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Artaban » Fri 22.01.2016, 12:43

With ref to the Ebay leads I haven't used them and I'm sure they'll work but I have just replaced my HT leads with Magnecor KV85 http://www.magnecor.co.uk/default.asp (purchased from SJ's)

I did see these on eBay but didn't buy them because I had an issue in the past with the HT boots melting where they are attached to the spark plugs (it gets very hot under that cover) and they were an absolute pig to get off and were unusable afterwards. I couldn't be sure the same wouldn't happen with the eBay leads.

The Magnecor ones have a high heat resistance rating (320C I think) so I'm hoping I won't have the same problem and they come with a 10 year guarantee anyway. You probably need someone who has had the eBay ones in a few years to see if the boots have melted into the plug sockets or not. However these ones are the green colour you want and the Magnecore are only in red.

Andy
My wife's just divorced me because I wouldn't open the car door for her!
To be fair I panicked and swam straight for the surface.
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Fri 22.01.2016, 18:48

I can't comment on the green EBay ones but I replaced my OEM leads nearly 12 years ago with the (red) Magnecor KV85 ignition leads and they are still going strong. No issues with melting at the spark plug end :shock:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Rambo » Fri 22.01.2016, 19:05

Incidentally, those green EBay ones at £39.99 are also available in red for anyone who wants them.

By the time you factor in the dreaded vat, the Magnecor KV85 come in at nearly double the price so a substantial saving on the green EBay ones (assuming they are rugged enough for the job and don't melt :shock: )
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby rip » Mon 25.01.2016, 13:27

Rambo wrote:I can't comment on the green EBay ones but I replaced my OEM leads nearly 12 years ago with the (red) Magnecor KV85 ignition leads and they are still going strong. No issues with melting at the spark plug end :shock:

My Magnecor KV85s broke when I removed them last year to replace my plugs in the attempt to cure a misfire, so they are not indestructable.
After speaking to someone else on here, it sounds like this is due to the engine design rather than the lead. It looks pretty similar to my Vauxhall though.

I think a lot of these long term guarantees rely on it being impractical to keep the receipt for the length of the guarantee!
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Rambo » Mon 25.01.2016, 13:57

Rip - did your misfire manifest itself in 3rd/4th gear on full boost ?

Just curious as to what caused it and the remedy. Presumably you put on new leads anyway but were the plugs bu¥¥¥¥ed ?
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby steble » Thu 28.01.2016, 08:00

I sort of resent paying for the Magnecor leads because of how much they are, and the fact that they do all of FA

So everybody thinks give these a go then, I don't mind being the guinea pig :)
YELLOW ELAN M100
CLASSIC MINI RIO WITH B16A2 VTEC ENGINE
SUZUKI IGNIS SPORT
MINI MAYFAIR SOON TO BE RALLY SPEC
steble
Enthusiast

Postby rip » Thu 28.01.2016, 10:23

Rambo wrote:Rip - did your misfire manifest itself in 3rd/4th gear on full boost ?

Just curious as to what caused it and the remedy. Presumably you put on new leads anyway but were the plugs bu¥¥¥¥ed ?

The cause of mine was a faulty injector. The engine ran fine when cold but consistently misfired when warm.
When the issue first arose, I checked my maintenance log & saw that the plugs were old so I decided to change them. When I removed the 1st lead, it broke so I had to replace it. When I got new plugs & leads installed, the issue was still there so I looked elsewhere.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Rambo » Thu 28.01.2016, 10:37

Maybe time to check my KV85's as well seeing that they've been in the for over 12 years

Think I'll try a punt on the EBay ones as well. In red though :wink:

PS I've now found they do a range of colours for anyone who wants to smarten up under their bonnet or colour coordinate their engine bay
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby rip » Thu 28.01.2016, 12:10

Rambo wrote:Maybe time to check my KV85's as well seeing that they've been in the for over 12 years

I wouldn't.
Mine seemed to break when I removed them. Part of a lead simply got left behind. I believe they were working normally up until this point.
Why not order a set of the e-bay ones & keep them on the shelf? We both know somebody who would :-D & I still have a VW part which I collected for him last July
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Rambo » Thu 28.01.2016, 19:40

He's been on the shelf for years :-D

Way past his expiry date IMO :-D
Rambo
Don't push me

Return to Ignition and fuelling