fuel pump doesn't work

Leads, coils, plugs, starters, starting probs etc.

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

fuel pump doesn't work

Postby Xavier T » Sun 18.12.2016, 19:53

I have a problem my fuel pump is no working anymore.
It happened like this. I wanted to start my car but when i switched on the ignition i couldn;t hear the sound of the fuel pump.
I checked fuse n°3 in the main fusebox. It's ok
I checked the fuel pump relay and the ECM relay : they are also ok
I changed the fuel pump

But nothing works.

Any idea?
Xavier T

Re: fuel pump doesn't work

Postby tigerdog » Sun 18.12.2016, 21:00

Have you checked inertia switch fuel cutout? There's a plunger switch, which If the plunger is up, stops the fuel pump. Poke in with your finger and push down to engage the circuit. Lifting this plunger up when parking is a great way to defeat uneducated car thieves.
InertiaSwitch.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby Xavier T » Sun 18.12.2016, 21:26

yes I checked it and it was in ON position
Xavier T

Postby lotusflasherman » Sun 18.12.2016, 22:53

Check if there is a voltage on the wire on the fuel pump coming from the fuel pump relay.

If there is check the pump still has an earth return. If there isn't, trace back through the pump relay and inertia switch until you find some volts...
If you want to check the pump put 12V directly to it and you should hear it run...

(Wiring Diag 5 in the Electrical Service Notes is helpful.)
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 18.12.2016, 23:10

You will need to start at the pump and test for both power and ground (earth). The pump should run for a few seconds when you first turn the key to the ignition position, so you would connect the test light to the black and the White/Green connections at the top of the pump assembly.

When you turn on the key, the light should glow for a few seconds.

If it does, then the problem is in the pump assembly (possibly the pump connections are inverted?)

If it does not, the first thing to test is that the ground/earth is good. Using the test light again, connect to a KNOWN GOOD ground source (Battery NEG connection) and test again. If the light comes on now, then the ground has an open circuit, so follow it back to the grounding point and repair.

If testing with a good ground still doesn't illuminate the test light then use this diagram to check the entire circuit.

Fuel-Pump.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Xavier T » Sun 18.12.2016, 23:30

Yes i have the diagram 5.
I will check all this and i will tell you
Xavier T

Postby Xavier T » Tue 27.12.2016, 22:11

I checked everything. The problem was a bad connection before the relay.
Xavier T

Postby Rambo » Wed 28.12.2016, 00:41

Good old LEC to the rescue again :bowdown:
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 28.12.2016, 01:17

Where was the bad connection - on the inertia relay going out or pump relay in?

Sounds like you have a spare pump too. I'd refit the old pump to prove it works OK and keep the new one in a box until it doesn't ... :D

Sod's Law says the old will keep working fine when you have a spare, it's always something you don't have that packs up...
Phil

Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Postby Rambo » Sun 12.02.2017, 19:57

I think I may have a similar problem ??

Took the car out for a sports mag. photo shootout (watch this space :wink:) the other day and it hasn't started since

I don't hear the usual noises from behind my head when I turn the key over ie fuel pump whirr followed by a small click. Have checked fuse 3 (7.5A) and that is OK. Fuel cut off switch is also in the correct (down) position. Engine cranks over fine etc...

A question to the electrical gurus out there ... apart from obvious fuel pump electrics, could this be anything to do with the onboard immobiliser ?

PS I'm a bit cack handed when it comes to electrical and mechanical work so any pointers would be helpful. I'll get my usual garage to have a look at it. Once I've worked out how to get it up to Embra that is. But that's another problem for another day
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby lotusflasherman » Sun 12.02.2017, 22:41

Rambo wrote:I think I may have a similar problem ??

Took the car out for a sports mag. photo shootout (watch this space :wink:) the other day and it hasn't started since

I don't hear the usual noises from behind my head when I turn the key over ie fuel pump whirr followed by a small click. Have checked fuse 3 (7.5A) and that is OK. Fuel cut off switch is also in the correct (down) position. Engine cranks over fine etc...

A question to the electrical gurus out there ... apart from obvious fuel pump electrics, could this be anything to do with the onboard immobiliser ?

PS I'm a bit cack handed when it comes to electrical and mechanical work so any pointers would be helpful. I'll get my usual garage to have a look at it. Once I've worked out how to get it up to Embra that is. But that's another problem for another day

Yes, could be... Is it a Lotus or aftermarket ?
There is also a bit of logic in the ECM to act as rev limiter by cutting off the fuel supply above 7,200 rpm. Don't know if that can misbehave but Geoff Smith would know more about that than me :poke:
(I'm a 'power man', thousands of volts & hundreds of amps is my area of expertise... :lol: )

Earlier in the thread I suggested connect a direct supply of 12V to the pump. If you hear it run, the problem is the wiring; if you don't hear it run, the problem is the pump.
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby Saltire » Sun 12.02.2017, 23:24

I can't speak for the SE, but on the S2 there is definitely a connection. The immobiliser, when set, interrupts power to the fuel pump (among other circuits). Flasherman is right; connect a 12v supply direct to the pump and see if it runs. If it does, fault is in the wiring. If not, faulty pump.
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Postby Rambo » Mon 13.02.2017, 10:47

Thank you both for your speedy replies

It is an aftermarket alarm/immobiliser that is fitted (Clifford) Obviously the first place for me/the garage to try is the 12V supply direct to the fuel pump. I'll let you know the outcome when it's sorted :wink:
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 13.02.2017, 12:47

XavierT said "The problem was a bad connection before the relay." Might be an idea to pull off spade connectors on relays and check for any verdisgris. Sometimes the act of pulling off and putting on is enough to get a good contact.

If you do rig up a 'jump connection' to the pump and you can hear it run you should be able to start it. Then you can drive to Embra to get your garage to check the wiring ...
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby Rambo » Mon 13.02.2017, 13:40

Another couple of question Phil..

Is the pump relay in the battery compartment or under the binnacle cover ?

Re the "jump connection"... could I just run jump leads from the battery (in situ) direct to the fuel pump to hear if I get any whirring and then turn the ignition key ??

First thing first though... I will remove the spare connectors once I know where the FP relay is :oops:
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 13.02.2017, 16:52

Rambo wrote:Another couple of question Phil..

Is the pump relay in the battery compartment or under the binnacle cover ?

Re the "jump connection"... could I just run jump leads from the battery (in situ) direct to the fuel pump to hear if I get any whirring and then turn the ignition key ??

First thing first though... I will remove the spare connectors once I know where the FP relay is :oops:

Pump relay is near the inertia switch on the 'accessory panel' as they call it. On RHD SE it's right by the battery, S2 it's behind the left hand speaker rear of passenger seat where LHD SE's had it.

I'd usually chase this sort of thing with a multi meter set on 20V. So cheap I keep one in each car - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UKDJ-Pocket-S ... 2418148327
Direct from the battery I'd use one of my leads I cut from an old car radio on the way to the dump. Got a croc' clip on each end and has a 10 amp in-line fuse in it.

Also - Don't make sparks near a battery particularly if it's recently been on charge. Produces hydrogen and can explode like a bomb! (Got the T shirt on that - was full of holes from acid spatter!)
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby Rambo » Mon 13.02.2017, 19:08

Thanks again Phil.

PS Whilst we're on the subject of batteries and sparking, am I correct in thinking the correct order of battery disconnection is -ve terminal first then +ve. And for reconnection, +ve first and -ve last. Only asking as this is always the way I've done it on my M100's and someone said I was wrong :?
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 13.02.2017, 23:19

Rambo wrote:Thanks again Phil.

PS Whilst we're on the subject of batteries and sparking, am I correct in thinking the correct order of battery disconnection is -ve terminal first then +ve. And for reconnection, +ve first and -ve last. Only asking as this is always the way I've done it on my M100's and someone said I was wrong :?

Not that crucial on an Elan as the body is GRP but generally the principle is 'if using a spanner disconnect the 'earth' terminal first, reconnect last' . Then if the spanner inadvertently bridges to the body nothing will happen as it's connected to the body anyway. Once that's off, there is no circuit, so bridging the other terminal with a spanner will again do nothing. Re-connection is last off, first on, so Earth should be last on.
As the Elan, like most modern cars, is -ve earth, you are right, :clap: other person is wrong. :chair:

Could it be that person is very 'old school' & knows what but not why ? .. Ford returned to -ve earth in the 60's when somebody thought about the principles of 'Cathodic Protection' and realized a car with -ve earth rusted less when the roads were salted, or you lived near the sea.. :lol: By the early 70's it had virtually become the norm for other manufacturers too. The Mini changed from +ve to -ve when they went from dynamos to alternators in '69. Lotus 6, early 7's & Elans were +ve earth but Elans swapped to -ve while still using dynamos and alternators came later...
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby Rambo » Tue 14.02.2017, 10:24

Yes, this person is very "old school" Think Victor Meldrew ! In fact, he will be just as grumpy as him as your reply has just cost him a couple of pints :cheers: :drunk:
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby Rambo » Sun 05.03.2017, 23:19

I forgot to mention that my non starting/fuel pump problem has now been fully resolved. The problem was very simple in the end :oops: :oops: :oops:

Anyway, thanks to all LEC'rs who helped with their suggestions
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Next

Return to Ignition and fuelling