Seat spacers

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Seat spacers

Postby simonbuk » Tue 05.09.2017, 17:08

Can anyone remember which spacer under the seat is different ?

I remember their being a different height to only one of them I think but can't remember which one.

Also I noticed that the spacers under an SE are different height to an S2 - why is this ? Different seat design ?
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Re: Seat spacers

Postby simonbuk » Tue 05.09.2017, 17:30

Ok, so it's the rear outboard spacer that is different by approx 4mm whether it's an SE or S2.

When I put some washers together to make about 4mm the seat looks lop sided still, so still needs more of a lift.

Basically what I've noticed is that when I fitted Kermit's SE seats to my S2 without any spacers underneath (I need the space) I walked up to the car and noticed the drivers seat was falling brown to the left as you look at.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby dapinky » Tue 05.09.2017, 17:35

I didn't know that the spacers were different between SE/S2 - every day is a school day!

... but I did (do?) know that the seat base design is different, so it makes sence to allow the S2 to be at a different height, I suppose....

Basically, the SE seat has a rubber diaphragm to support the driver, whilst the S2 has a metal sheet as a base below the foam - therefore, there should be far less 'sag' on an S2 seatbase, and thus less space is needed below???
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby simonbuk » Tue 05.09.2017, 19:28

That seems to make sense yes !!

I need to get a spirit level on my seat as it's doing some strange things..........

simonbuk
God

Postby theelanman » Wed 06.09.2017, 11:48

the se ones are bigger than the s2....
I found this out when I did my car :-D
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby simonbuk » Wed 06.09.2017, 12:14

As in deeper in the seat ?

simonbuk
God

Postby theelanman » Wed 06.09.2017, 12:46

yes the se versions are taller.......
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby theelanman » Wed 06.09.2017, 12:53

see the remarks column
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
theelanman

Postby simonbuk » Thu 07.09.2017, 06:57

I don't really understand this ? If the SE seats are taller and they have bigger spacers then surely you would sit a lot higher up in the car ?

You would have thought that the taller seat would have the smaller spacers, and the shallower seat the larger spacers ?!

:confused:

simonbuk
God

Postby theelanman » Thu 07.09.2017, 08:57

its all to do with your behind falling through the bottom of the seat...... :-D
theelanman

Postby simonbuk » Thu 07.09.2017, 09:07

Oh well, my bottom is now cared for in alot softer way and I still seem to be sitting equally or maybe a slight bit lower so I'll shut up !! :D

simonbuk
God

Return to Interior