leather seats recolouring

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

leather seats recolouring

Postby kevinrooney » Thu 11.10.2018, 12:09

Does anyone have a colour dye reference for the Leather for the car seats or experience of using these types of products.
Looking to get a colour dye kit to try and improve recondition the seats . alternative is an expensive retrim.
Kevin.
kevinrooney

Re: leather seats recolouring

Postby dapinky » Thu 11.10.2018, 12:24

Hi kevin,

I have used the leather recolouring stuff from Furniture Clinic - https://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Leather_Colourant_Kit and am happy with the results.

I used a 'standard' black colour as it was when i was fitting the Honda S2000 seats - so can't comment on the colour match for the Lotus seats - they do an 'exact matching' service (at a slight price premium), or have a selection of greys in their range.

I also used it on my centre console, door cards and A pillar trims and it hasn't worn away from any surface (yet!) - 4 years on.

The only comment I would make is that you may end up needing extra 'top coat' finisher - I added a couple of extra coats for the hell of it..... but if it's just for the seats then you may not need extra. (because I was doing other stuff as well, i also bought extra colour).

The kit they supply includes an airbrush and propellant can(s) - which is pretty rubbish to be honest. I already have a compressor and small 'touch-up' spraygun, and found it was easily the best way to do the job. If you already have them, it is possibly better value to just buy the colour & sealer/finisher from them, then use Acetone for the prep work with a scouring pad to clean it all up.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby RonR » Thu 11.10.2018, 12:39

I've used Liquid Leather Scuff Master dye in the past - They mixed up some "Lotus Raven Grey" which was a good match for my '92 S1 dark grey leather seats.
No connection, etc....
RonR
Enthusiast

Postby petezipp » Thu 11.10.2018, 17:38

Very good but many have the 2 grey seats, this is a problem. I have used furniture clinic on my Jag they are great for touching up. I did have the manufacturers code.
I doubt if lotus ever had acode . The other solution is a sample but I can't find two bits to cut off.
perhaps someone has a scrap seat which we could send to the clinic and our members could order.
sort of group buy idea.
Out of interest I had a partial retrim on mine, o why didn't I ask the trimmer for the old bits !!!
Pete
See that in the sky is it a Tesla No it's a Lotus
petezipp
Tinkerer

Postby tim_haskins » Fri 26.10.2018, 00:08

I have a spare original seat cover I would be willing to send. Thinking of doing the same to
Improve my seats.
tim_haskins

Postby JusNoGood » Fri 26.10.2018, 10:56

The previous owner of my car used a company called Woolies. The Leather renovation kit cost him £63 including shipping and a colour match. I see on the invoice a note saying "Grey, I will send a sample".

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk

I've been meaning to get a kit to :-D
JusNoGood
Enthusiast

Postby tim_haskins » Fri 26.10.2018, 12:04

I am looking for all 3 colours. Grey, kind of really dark grey and also the red for the stripe
tim_haskins

Postby petezipp » Wed 07.11.2018, 21:52

well done tim
I will get onto them soon, good to smarten up my seats.
Will discuss at our next Midlands meet.
PS. Wonky light pods & Brakes giving me greif for the next few weeks.
pete
See that in the sky is it a Tesla No it's a Lotus
petezipp
Tinkerer

Postby tim_haskins » Mon 12.11.2018, 20:37

No problem, I did my drivers seat and it came out well. The colour match was pretty good to be honest

Will post a pic
tim_haskins

Postby tim_haskins » Mon 12.11.2018, 20:44

Was mid way through applying the sealant so looks a bit patchy. Was perfect when it dried.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tim_haskins

Return to Interior