Seat Repair/Re Trim

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, GeoffSmith, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Nige, Enright, nitroman, algirdas, Sy V, Specky, clemo

Seat Repair/Re Trim

Postby Wakeykd » Tue 04.06.2019, 12:06

Hi Guys, I am looking to have my seats repaired if they can. The foam is past its sell by date too as its just crumbling. I am based in Yorkshire and im wondering if anyone has used a company not too far from me before?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wakeykd

Re: Seat Repair/Re Trim

Postby Jamie N » Tue 04.06.2019, 17:46

If you are not too concerned about originality why not spend the money on a pair of Honda S2000 seats, you will probably pay the same amount of
money but end up with something aesthetically and ergonomically superior . This is a pair on Ebay... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-S2000- ... SwWtpcbBYV (not mine), they also come in red and black leather.
A very nice upgrade, but there are a few others which will also fit in the Elan with a bit of modifying. :wink:
Jamie N
Seal God

Postby LRS7 » Tue 04.06.2019, 22:28

Hi Kris

I’ve used a company called Seat Surgeons in Strensall, North Yorkshire who did a great job on one of my Range Rovers .. The guy who owns it name is Paul try them they are close ish to you. Failing that I’ve got a guy in Ilkeston who can do it.

I’ve also got a set of cloth/leather seats with matching inserts if you fancy them instead? I was going to put them in my SE but decided against it so going spare.
Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Range Rover Evoque
M100 1991 Lotus Elan Se
M100 1994 Lotus Elan S2 #498
LRS7
Enthusiast

Postby wayne » Wed 05.06.2019, 01:02

If you want to keep the OEM seats. I have a company here that can remake the covers, but your looking at about £500 ish.
1992 Pacific Blue, Top end performance Kit. K&N airfilter& HKS BOV. Everest. HiSpec fronts, SS hoses. 2010 Canyon red Evora.
http://www.elanm100.com
wayne
God

Postby Wakeykd » Tue 06.08.2019, 17:28

Slight update. I ve the car booked in with a chap in Wakefield. We used to use his company at work 15 years ago called Vasco. He retired but found out from my dad who takes his TR6 for Mot to a place in wakey he’s still doing it part time. Got it booked in October. He said he can repair what’s already there which is good as I wanted to keep the original seats, the foam will need replacing as that’s disintegrated and he’s only charging £60. I will update with pictures after. Are the seats pretty straight forward to take out?
Wakeykd

Postby Saltire » Tue 06.08.2019, 20:57

Wakeykd wrote:Are the seats pretty straight forward to take out?

Four bolts on each seat, plus (on the drivers side) the seat belt warning lamp wiring on the inside behind the seat (against the “transmission tunnel”). Note that there are normally spacer washers under the seat; one (inside rear IIRC) is thicker than the other three. Some folks remove them to give a little more headroom.

And while you have the seats out, it’s a great chance to check the inner sills for rust, throw away the old spongy under felt and replace it with some decent Non-absorbent under felt and/or Dynamat
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2 no 512, BRG/magnolia, last of 4 UK S2 to this spec
2019 Volvo XC40 (arrived; brilliant!)
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby Wakeykd » Tue 06.08.2019, 21:43

Thank you for the advice, I didn’t know about the seat belt warning light!
Wakeykd

Postby Blue ass fly » Tue 03.09.2019, 18:44

LRS7 wrote:Hi Kris

I’ve used a company called Seat Surgeons in Strensall, North Yorkshire who did a great job on one of my Range Rovers .. The guy who owns it name is Paul try them they are close ish to you. Failing that I’ve got a guy in Ilkeston who can do it.

I’ve also got a set of cloth/leather seats with matching inserts if you fancy them instead? I was going to put them in my SE but decided against it so going spare.

Any pics of your spare seats ( if theyre still available)
Blue ass fly

Postby GROMIT007 » Mon 30.09.2019, 15:54

Any one know of a re trimmer in the south . I have my original gray with the red strip seats that needs fully re doing .As you can see from the picture . I think sending them north will cost to much .One of the many jobs to be done over the winter ,And new roof :cry:
If you do please let me know.
Thanks
Gromit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GROMIT007

Postby Rambo » Mon 30.09.2019, 18:28

OMG, what a mess. And cloth door cards too. Has your car sat out in the rain for months with the roof down :shock:

If you search on here, Tuga got his mate to do a good job on his seats. Not in leather but a good substitute and significantly cheaper. I saw them at CC and the quality of workmanship was excellent

GROMIT007 wrote:Any one know of a re trimmer in the south . I have my original gray with the red strip seats that needs fully re doing

South of where anyway. If you put your location in your profile it makes it easier for a fellow LEC'r to help out or recommend a garage. Or seat repairer 8)

PS with your car in such a poor state inside I would suggest removing the carpets and underlying foam immediately. Without wishing to sound alarmist, I suspect you will find you have more serious and expensive outrigger/sill problems
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby rip » Mon 30.09.2019, 23:47

GROMIT007 wrote:Any one know of a re trimmer in the south .

Neil's auto interiors near Southend, Essex. They do a lot of custom cars like hot rods & had no problem with my Elan. They replaced several of the base clips & some of the foam which was in a poor condition.
They also fitted seat heaters (which I wired in). These are fantastic when it is cool but not cold. I recommend fitting some while you have a chance.
They also had a good selection of different coloured leather.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby GROMIT007 » Tue 01.10.2019, 12:22

Thanks Guys for the info.
Yes the inside looks in a bit of a mess ,but every thing still works .The car is getting a full strip down . And respray .ive owned it for 14years so I think I owe at least that . so will see any damage when they start that . believe it or not its it past its MOT 2 months ago .And had a full service . Im looking forword to getting it back on the road in the spring . I hope .
Gromit
GROMIT007

Postby GROMIT007 » Tue 01.10.2019, 12:24

Sorry forgot im in Camberley :D surrey
GROMIT007

Postby Rambo » Tue 01.10.2019, 20:20

Gromit - here's the thread I was on about re. Tuga's replacement seat covers. Unfortunatelty the photos seem to have disappeared :?

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=23694&start=340
Rambo
Don't push me

Return to Interior