Heater Control Removal

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, GeoffSmith

Heater Control Removal

Postby djwazza68 » Sun 29.12.2019, 19:02

IMG_0794.JPG
I'm having a nightmare with my centre dash fascia... more specifically trying to remove it to get to the back of the heater controls. Whilst trying to replace the little wedge bulbs in both temp control and zone switches the tiny bulb holders 'pinged out' and ended up behind the heater dash panel. I can just reach the wires, but cannot figure a way to get the holders plugged back into the dials. I also appear to have a fascia screw that simply rotates and doesn't undo (next to the lighter socket), which may be my problem?

Somebody please help, I may take an axe to the dash soon!
:banghead:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
djwazza68
Tinkerer

Re: Heater Control Removal

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 29.12.2019, 19:52

Many years ago, I bent the end of a piece of stainless steel from a windscreen wiper blade into an L shape then drilled a hole next to the bulb holder and carefully pulled the bulb back into the holder.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby djwazza68 » Sun 29.12.2019, 22:09

I suspected something similar might be required. Is there a sweet spot to drill the hole without wrecking the switch?
djwazza68
Tinkerer

Postby PJR-Elan » Sun 29.12.2019, 22:09

Djwazza68,

I feel your pain. I’ve managed to change my bulbs but also I need to reconnect the metal rod that connects the dial to the rest of the heater control system.

Reading other posts, it seems that there are routes in 1) by taking out the stereo (can’t seem to get mine out) 2) through the ashtray (although mine seems bonded in) and 3) somehow by reaching in from the footwell (must need smaller hands).

For now, sorting it has slipped down the list of jobs to do because I just can’t face the hassle. Do keep us updated.

Someone mentioned that the stereo might be restrained by a nut and bolt at the back end that you have to loosen by reaching up from the glovebox area - not looked to see if that is correct.

Good luck, and report back.

Phil
PJR-Elan
Tinkerer

Postby Saltire » Sun 29.12.2019, 22:11

From memory, the heater control mounting (white box in your picture) is screwed into the dash from the rear. You need to remove the dash to unscrew it and thus retrieve the bulbs.

If it’s any consolation, mine fell out too; they’re only retained by a couple of flimsy plastic spring clips. When I put my LED bulbs in and stuck the holders back, I used a dab of plastic glue to secure them.
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2 no 512, BRG/magnolia, last of 4 UK S2 to this spec
2019 VW Golf R - “The Flying Tomato”
2020 Volvo XC40 T4 AWD
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby scotlan » Mon 30.12.2019, 17:58

Saltire wrote:From memory, the heater control mounting (white box in your picture) is screwed into the dash from the rear. You need to remove the dash to unscrew it and thus retrieve the bulbs.

If it’s any consolation, mine fell out too; they’re only retained by a couple of flimsy plastic spring clips. When I put my LED bulbs in and stuck the holders back, I used a dab of plastic glue to secure them.

Saltire is correct, the heater control panel is held in by two screws which are inaccessible from the front and the bulb holders are not very secure. I have just completed this job. I had both of the heater lights out and others in the instrument cluster. I also needed access to the immobiliser control unit behind the cluster. There are good instructions on Wikilec and the forum on how to remove the facia. Even with guidance from "Saltire" I struggled at every stage.

First: removing the steering wheel was a major job as I had to get a puller made up by a local metal worker. (From instructions on the forum) Removal required a massive force to shift the wheel even after severely bending the puller.
Second: I broke the indicator switch because I didn't have it in the central position when sliding it out.
Third: The Temperature control link rod comes off when you "push down clip and pull out rod", well not for me it didn't. I couldn't fathom it out at all even after dozens of attempts. My son then unclipped it in seconds and also refitted it for me later
Fourth: Someone had been in the facia before me and damaged the screw heads and some of the captive nuts which rotated when they shouldn't. Working all along in a tight area behind the facia, unable to see what I was doing and cutting my hands on sharp metal and plastic.

Not wanting to repeat the experience I decided to change all the bulbs. I used Long LED's in the heater controls. I also cable tied their wires to the facia to keep them in place.

It took a long time and a lot of patience. So "djwazza68" it may be better to either not use the car in the dark or try to memorise the heater control positions. Good luck!
scotlan
Tinkerer

Postby GeoffSmith » Mon 30.12.2019, 20:15

djwazza68 wrote:I suspected something similar might be required. Is there a sweet spot to drill the hole without wrecking the switch?

Here. And here and here.

Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby djwazza68 » Wed 01.01.2020, 13:23

I went for slightly bigger holes, fed in a bent piece of wiper bade steel, worked my (now badly scratched!) left hand into the stereo hole to hold the wire and thus bulb holder in place whilst pulling from the front using the wire 'tool'. Success in both cases, although I improvised some creative swearing during the 45 minute procedure. When the bulb-holders were back in place I superglued them from the front to the white plastic and put non-LED wedge bulbs back in; the LEDs were just too big for the holders although allegedly the correct size.

With my new (many thanks Saltire) dials in place the car is starting to come back together in an eye-pleasing fashion.

Happy New Year!
djwazza68
Tinkerer

Postby V8vroom » Wed 05.02.2020, 14:05

Hi All!!

Car finally fixed mechanically with new ECU!!

However, the bottom heater control bulb was gone so I took dials off and sadly pushed the bulb behind the white housing...(Problem 1)

however even worse the temperature control black stick thing has also recessed so I can't reattached the dial thing which secures the font section you see when viewing from the inside of the car....(Problem 2)

and when it wasn't recessed it was very stiff and wouldn't turn to the cold air section of the dial (Problem 3)

It seems I am going to be unable to adjust the temperature in the car and worse have the ugly white showing through the hole where the switch was..... do you think I have to find / source a whole new ventilation control unit and then get the garage to remove the fascia and re-fit (having just spent £5000 on a new ECU and full service etc I really want to avoid this!!)

any help as ever and thoughts appreciated

Rupert
Lotus Elan S2 No. 513 Norfolk Mustard
V8vroom
Tinkerer

Postby Rambo » Wed 05.02.2020, 16:52

V8vroom wrote:having just spent £5000 on a new ECU and full service etc I really want to avoid this!!

:shock: You're joking surely ? You could have nearly bought another for that amount. An ECU and a service doesn't come to that much unless it included a full engine, suspension, steering and brake rebuild
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby V8vroom » Wed 05.02.2020, 17:56

Wish I was joking

ECU fitment, transport to tuning centre etc around £2000

New clutch
C service
Water Pump
Cambelt change

all adds up
Lotus Elan S2 No. 513 Norfolk Mustard