Gaiters

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Gaiters

Postby LeedsMike » Fri 18.11.2022, 15:47

Looking to get new gaiters for my S2 for both handbrake and gear.

It looks like most suppliers offering the package with the yellow stitching (the style I’m looking for) are only for SE models.

Couple of questions:

Saw in a previous post the SE and S2 fittings are different- does the difference make the SE ones hard or impossible to fit to S2? Is the fit poor, acceptable or good?

Does anyone know of a supplier who makes the ones I am after for the S2 sizing?

Thanks!
LeedsMike
Newbie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu 10.11.2022, 23:40

Re: Gaiters

Postby Graaf » Fri 18.11.2022, 18:26

Allon White Sportscars will make them up.
Graaf
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed 22.04.2015, 16:47
Location: Arnold, Nottingham, England

Re: Gaiters

Postby Saltire » Fri 18.11.2022, 18:30

Any decent trimmer would make up a set to match your existing; it’s not a hard shape in either case. Make sure they remember to put the strengthening wires in the gear gaiter, and I had a small section of elastic stitched round the top of mine so it stays on the gear knob.

As I recall, the worst part of the job is persuading the old handbrake gaiter to detach from the centre console - it uses those horrible spring tine clips and it’s all too easy to cut your fingers to ribbons.
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
2008 VW Golf Mk5 R32
2022 Mini Countryman Cooper S
User avatar
Saltire
God
 
Posts: 2135
Joined: Sun 05.04.2015, 22:27
Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Re: Gaiters

Postby Tuga2112 » Fri 18.11.2022, 19:55

Saltire wrote:Any decent trimmer would make up a set to match your existing; it’s not a hard shape in either case. Make sure they remember to put the strengthening wires in the gear gaiter, and I had a small section of elastic stitched round the top of mine so it stays on the gear knob.

As I recall, the worst part of the job is persuading the old handbrake gaiter to detach from the centre console - it uses those horrible spring tine clips and it’s all too easy to cut your fingers to ribbons.


the most annoying part about it for me is the fact that removing the centre concole to do the job in the workbench doesnt make the task any easier because re-installing it without the gaiter is 100 times easier than without one.
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
User avatar
Tuga2112
God
 
Posts: 1618
Joined: Fri 12.09.2014, 22:54
Location: Durham with a regular trip to Walsall

Re: Gaiters

Postby Saltire » Fri 18.11.2022, 20:29

Tuga2112 wrote:
Saltire wrote:Any decent trimmer would make up a set to match your existing; it’s not a hard shape in either case. Make sure they remember to put the strengthening wires in the gear gaiter, and I had a small section of elastic stitched round the top of mine so it stays on the gear knob.

As I recall, the worst part of the job is persuading the old handbrake gaiter to detach from the centre console - it uses those horrible spring tine clips and it’s all too easy to cut your fingers to ribbons.


the most annoying part about it for me is the fact that removing the centre concole to do the job in the workbench doesnt make the task any easier because re-installing it without the gaiter is 100 times easier than without one.

On the S2 (which is what the OP was talking about), it makes little difference, Joao, because the centre console design changed :-D
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
2008 VW Golf Mk5 R32
2022 Mini Countryman Cooper S
User avatar
Saltire
God
 
Posts: 2135
Joined: Sun 05.04.2015, 22:27
Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Re: Gaiters

Postby Rambo » Fri 18.11.2022, 23:09

:lol:

PS not as neat as the SE though :poke: You bump your left elbow when downshifting :lol:
Rambo
Don't push me
 
Posts: 8983
Joined: Wed 24.12.2003, 00:37
Location: Both sides of the Tweed

Re: Gaiters

Postby Tuga2112 » Fri 18.11.2022, 23:31

i keep forgetting the S2 actually has SOME differences that are not the alloys.
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
User avatar
Tuga2112
God
 
Posts: 1618
Joined: Fri 12.09.2014, 22:54
Location: Durham with a regular trip to Walsall

Re: Gaiters

Postby Saltire » Sat 19.11.2022, 09:01

Rambo wrote::lol:

PS not as neat as the SE though :poke: You bump your left elbow when downshifting :lol:

But I use my battery connector under the bonnet all the time, Mark :D

What’s that? You haven’t got one??? :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
2008 VW Golf Mk5 R32
2022 Mini Countryman Cooper S
User avatar
Saltire
God
 
Posts: 2135
Joined: Sun 05.04.2015, 22:27
Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland


Return to Interior

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest