sun visors

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

sun visors

Postby antelope » Fri 23.07.2010, 15:12

These things obsure an already narrow vertical field of view, and when lowered make it impossibe to see anything at all. Is it common to remove them?
antelope
Enthusiast

Re: sun visors

Postby speed-demon » Fri 23.07.2010, 15:17

Pop the cap off. Two screws and two minutes later you're done.
Try it...
speed-demon
Enthusiast

Postby rip » Fri 23.07.2010, 15:21

My car has never had them in my ownership. A previous owner removed them & never passed them on.
& I've not wanted to replace them.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby HJ2 » Fri 23.07.2010, 15:25

...had the same problem, could not enjoy the view in front of the car, so i removed it and never missed it till today :D
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Postby antelope » Fri 23.07.2010, 15:34

Damn...the screws on the passenger side are rounded off and I can't get them out. Better view from the driver's seat though....
antelope
Enthusiast

Postby speed-demon » Fri 23.07.2010, 16:01

I removed my drivers one to fix the droop and I missed it on a few occasions... Personally I like having them.

Whilst we're on about views. Does anyone else get massive amounts of glare on their screen. There are often times when I am completely blind for a second or so!
speed-demon
Enthusiast

Postby antelope » Fri 23.07.2010, 16:14

Haven't had a chance to drive it in the sun yet!
antelope
Enthusiast

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Fri 23.07.2010, 21:33

speed-demon wrote:I removed my drivers one to fix the droop and I missed it on a few occasions... Personally I like having them.

Whilst we're on about views. Does anyone else get massive amounts of glare on their screen. There are often times when I am completely blind for a second or so!

part of why I wrapped the binacle cover in suede and made two inserts for the dash top recesses also covered in suede. Lesson learnt from racing cars of old and my old 'Ghini. Windsheild white out is no fun at 100+ MPH
Must....................Go...............Faster
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Postby tweetdriver63 » Sat 24.07.2010, 01:13

I use mine occassionally (I'm sure I spelled that wrong, but I just don't care). If I were to put the thing all the way down (vertical) I wouldn't be able to see even a sliver, but I wouldn't do that. Whenever I've used it, I've swung it all the way through against the glass. Normally, though, when I'm driving in the bright sun, the top is stowed, and I'm much more likely to be blinded by the Sun shining in from above the top rail than from under it.

Where the droop is concerned, it's an easy fix. Remove the visor and the two hinge pieces that also secure it to the top rail will pull out. They should fit very snuggly, but that's the problem. Take some black vinyl electrical tape (it doesn't take much) and wrap a bit around eash of the pegs (a single thickness should be plenty), then shove them back in the holes. That did it for me, and it's been fine for about 2 years since. One note, however, a couple of weeks ago I noticed the damn thing drooping really badly. I decided I needed to re-do the tape, but when I went to remove the screws, I found one of them almost completely out! I tightened both the screws, and the visor is back to complete firmness.

I thought about removing my visors, but I didn't like the unfinished look it left behind.
Chris

'91 Elan SE
'04 MB C230 Sport Coupe
'08 Mercury Mariner Hybrid
'12 Evora S GP Edition (In my dreams - HA!)
tweetdriver63
God

Postby antelope » Sat 24.07.2010, 09:18

My seats are quite firm and so my head is placed quite high in th ecar and the visor gets in the way, up or down.
antelope
Enthusiast

Postby DeanG » Sun 25.07.2010, 21:35

My sun visors have the droop. I don't understand where the caps are of which you speak. Can someone provide a picture.

Three things on the M100 have proven to be beyond my mechanical ability:

1- Removing the knee bolster
2- Removing the sun visors
3 -Removing the center console
DeanG
God

Postby tweetdriver63 » Mon 26.07.2010, 04:26

DeanG wrote:My sun visors have the droop. I don't understand where the caps are of which you speak. Can someone provide a picture.

I'd post a pic or you, but it's raining right now. Maybe later. Anyway, rotate the visor down, then look right in the middle, between the pegs it rotates on. There's a plastic bit, mostly rectangular, with a kind of ridge on it. Pry it off. The screws are underneath. If you have access to the workshop manual (which I'm positive you do), look on page VD.14. At the bottom of the page there's a picture which shows the visor, screws, etc.
Chris

'91 Elan SE
'04 MB C230 Sport Coupe
'08 Mercury Mariner Hybrid
'12 Evora S GP Edition (In my dreams - HA!)
tweetdriver63
God

Postby DeanG » Tue 27.07.2010, 20:49

Thanks. I'll try and fix it up this weekend.
DeanG
God

Postby kristinedrake » Wed 28.07.2010, 08:49

:D its really great
kristinedrake
Welcome to LEC - please introduce yourself

Postby keithlard » Wed 28.07.2010, 16:31

I removed the driver's side visor, as at 6 foot 5, even with the seat spacers removed I couldn't see where I was going!

I always wear sunglasses for driving anyway, as they work with the roof down too!
1991 200Tdi Defender 90
1991 Lotus Elan SE
keithlard
Tinkerer

Postby Rose Royce » Mon 03.10.2022, 15:49

tweetdriver63 wrote:
DeanG wrote:My sun visors have the droop. I don't understand where the caps are of which you speak. Can someone provide a picture.

I'd post a pic or you, but it's raining right now. Maybe later. Anyway, rotate the visor down, then look right in the middle, between the pegs it rotates on. There's a plastic bit, mostly rectangular, with a kind of ridge on it. Pry it off. The screws are underneath. If you have access to the workshop manual (which I'm positive you do), look on page VD.14. At the bottom of the page there's a picture which shows the visor, screws, etc.

I will try that. I did check the manual prior and could not find it. Now with your comment I checked and I find that the manual link does not go past VD12 ??? Anyway, I will follow your lead to try and fix my drooping visors. Thanks for the info.
Rose Royce
Tinkerer

Postby Simon_P » Tue 04.10.2022, 17:08

The other solution is to use a small patch of Velcro where the visor touches the screen pillar.
Simon_P
God

Postby chrism » Tue 04.10.2022, 18:44

I found that the round metallic 'spine' of the visor 'friction pushes' into the foam 'blade' - and subsequent use wears out the grip so that it droops. It's as rudimentary as that!

Pulling the blade off the spine (when removed from the top) and adding a twist of insulating tape (or even masking tape?) down the spine before pushing the (flat black) blade back on restored the friction/grip for me.

Don't overdo the tape - half a round might suffice. Be prepared to add more if necessary, but don't force too much too much tape around it or it'll make the foam hole too big again.

Then don't use it :shock: :D !!!

(I was so fed up with having to keep pushing them up that I made my mind up to remove them, but tried this on the pass. side first when I took it off, then followed up with the driver's side when it worked :D)

Loadsa luck! If you have trouble removing the plastic cap over the round metallic spine (then 2 brass screws...) I'll take mine apart and post pics - but I'd rather not since posting pics seems difficult atm)
chrism
Fanatic

Postby peteoddcar » Fri 07.10.2022, 03:43

My car never has had sun visors in my ownership, they were missing when I bought it - I just keep two large peaked baseball caps handy under the seats (Lotus 70 years edition at the moment) Sun in your eyes cap on, works for me!
Peteoddcar - Pacific Blue SE 1990
peteoddcar
Fanatic

Postby chrism » Fri 07.10.2022, 07:59

Yep, that's absolutely the solution that I use now.

I think those visors were definitely a mis-matched afterthought and I reckon of simplistic, low design, priority - but it's hard to live with a broken bit (which is why I originally fixed 'em) but now I've removed them totally.

Baseball cap = solved...:D. The rake of the windscreen doesn't help either, but isn't that why we love them?
Last edited by chrism on Fri 28.10.2022, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
chrism
Fanatic

Next

Return to Interior