anybody fitted these?

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

anybody fitted these?

Postby steble » Sun 15.03.2015, 20:06

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREY-STITCH-2 ... 35d9d670ac

if so do they look any good?

Cheers
Steve
YELLOW ELAN M100
CLASSIC MINI RIO WITH B16A2 VTEC ENGINE
SUZUKI IGNIS SPORT
MINI MAYFAIR SOON TO BE RALLY SPEC
steble
Enthusiast

Re: anybody fitted these?

Postby tweetdriver63 » Wed 25.03.2015, 19:56

I can't answer your question, but it seems you could re-trim your whole interior (except for the seats) with these things. They have them for the door inserts, A-posts, Dash (RHD only, from what I can tell), binnacle, arm rest, sun visors. e-brake, inside door pulls.....maybe more.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ ... =&_sacat=0
Chris

'91 Elan SE
'04 MB C230 Sport Coupe
'08 Mercury Mariner Hybrid
'12 Evora S GP Edition (In my dreams - HA!)
tweetdriver63
God

Postby steble » Fri 22.05.2015, 10:21

Yeah that's what I was thinking, just wondered whats the quality was like. and how well it all fits
YELLOW ELAN M100
SUZUKI IGNIS SPORT
steble
Enthusiast

Postby epipete » Fri 22.05.2015, 10:34

Don't know about quality or fit but another issue is what to glue it down with, everything I've tried in the past loosens up in the hot sun, the car could look great when you park it up but be like a Salvador Dali when you return!
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby Neil D. » Fri 22.05.2015, 10:48

Neil D.
Fanatic

Postby lotusflasherman » Fri 05.06.2015, 21:14

steble wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREY-STITCH-2X-FULL-DOOR-CARD-LEATHER-SKIN-COVERS-FITS-LOTUS-ELAN-M100-89-95-/231287976108?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&fits=Car+Make%3ALotus%7CModel%3AElan&hash=item35d9d670ac

Cheers
Steve

I've got a Pacific Blue Elan so have fitted these. Not cheap but a worthwhile improvement in my opinion, particularly as the cloth had faded and was coming off...
doorcard rh.JPG
doorcard lh.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Tuga2112 » Sat 06.06.2015, 09:20

lotusflasherman wrote:
steble wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREY-STITCH-2X-FULL-DOOR-CARD-LEATHER-SKIN-COVERS-FITS-LOTUS-ELAN-M100-89-95-/231287976108?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&fits=Car+Make%3ALotus%7CModel%3AElan&hash=item35d9d670ac

Cheers
Steve

I've got a Pacific Blue Elan so have fitted these. Not cheap but a worthwhile improvement in my opinion, particularly as the cloth had faded and was coming off...
doorcard rh.JPG
doorcard lh.JPG

do you have a before picture ?
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Postby epipete » Sat 06.06.2015, 09:56

Thanks for the detail about adhesive above, Neil; my door trim fell off again this week due to the heat so will put an order in.

Pete
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 06.06.2015, 12:08

Tuga2112 wrote:
lotusflasherman wrote:

Cheers
Steve

doorcard rh.JPG
doorcard lh.JPG

do you have a before picture ?

No, sorry. Was covered with standard cloth same as seat centres - the blue/grey with thin red stripe sort of tartan material, common as muck so I'm sure you've seen it. Took panels off to change door speakers and cloth had come off foam and foam was perished to powder so a worthwhile enhancement.

I like them enough to have bought the full leather door skins too and have spare door cards that I'll put them on when I've got some 'Woolies adhesive' - good stuff but my tin has gone nearly solid so new one required for that. (Used most of a tin trying to get the headlining in the Eclat to stay up on the roof and did a lot of glue-sniffing). I still haven't decided what to do about the Elan door lower section where that bit of carpet is normally stuck on. Seems a shame to cover up nice leather and put back carpet that looks 20 years old but it will still have the indent and although I've bought new scrivets I'm not sure having them showing will look acceptable - suggestions welcome. New carpet is one option, maybe black instead ... I tried putting old carpet back with self adhesive velcro as carpet couldn't stand another re-glue but velcro comes off carpet backing too easily.

By the way - the door skins come with new door pockets for that price, but it doesn't make that clear in the advert. The pockets are sold separately for £29.99 so makes the skin better value.
Phil

Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 06.06.2015, 12:18

epipete wrote:Thanks for the detail about adhesive above, Neil; my door trim fell off again this week due to the heat so will put an order in.

Pete

Heat? Bloody cold in Suffolk this week, where were you? :lol:
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Sat 06.06.2015, 23:30

lotusflasherman wrote:Seems a shame to cover up nice leather and put back carpet that looks 20 years old but it will still have the indent and although I've bought new scrivets I'm not sure having them showing will look acceptable - suggestions welcome. New carpet is one option, maybe black instead ... I tried putting old carpet back with self adhesive velcro as carpet couldn't stand another re-glue but velcro comes off carpet backing too easily.

I didnt like the carpet lower section either when i first got mine,

Used fake leather, hardboard from local hardware store, some anty slippery mat from poundland (to give it a bit of a fluffy feel) and velcro, the result is a section that can be taken out anytime easily without need for that glue-ie mess that the carpets give.

i suspect your leather background would suit my leather panels nicely,
pictures for my panels the before and after can be found here

cliff also did something of the same style before me, he attached a picture in my thread as well.

Maybe this kind of alternative may be worth considering ?
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

Tuga2112
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Sun 07.06.2015, 01:43

Tuga2112 wrote:
lotusflasherman wrote:Seems a shame to cover up nice leather and put back carpet that looks 20 years old but it will still have the indent and although I've bought new scrivets I'm not sure having them showing will look acceptable - suggestions welcome. New carpet is one option, maybe black instead ... I tried putting old carpet back with self adhesive velcro as carpet couldn't stand another re-glue but velcro comes off carpet backing too easily.

I didnt like the carpet lower section either when i first got mine,

Used fake leather, hardboard from local hardware store, some anty slippery mat from poundland (to give it a bit of a fluffy feel) and velcro, the result is a section that can be taken out anytime easily without need for that glue-ie mess that the carpets give.

i suspect your leather background would suit my leather panels nicely,
pictures for my panels the before and after can be found here

cliff also did something of the same style before me, he attached a picture in my thread as well.

Maybe this kind of alternative may be worth considering ?

Thanks for links, some useful ideas there. Looks like I didn't need to take a 'before photo' for mine as it was just like your 'before photo', same material and not glued on properly any longer either....
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby tweetdriver63 » Sun 07.06.2015, 04:24

lotusflasherman wrote:No, sorry. Was covered with standard cloth same as seat centres - the blue/grey with thin red stripe sort of tartan material, common as muck so I'm sure you've seen it. Took panels off to change door speakers and cloth had come off foam and foam was perished to powder so a worthwhile enhancement.

I like them enough to have bought the full leather door skins too and have spare door cards that I'll put them on when I've got some 'Woolies adhesive' - good stuff but my tin has gone nearly solid so new one required for that. (Used most of a tin trying to get the headlining in the Eclat to stay up on the roof and did a lot of glue-sniffing). I still haven't decided what to do about the Elan door lower section where that bit of carpet is normally stuck on. Seems a shame to cover up nice leather and put back carpet that looks 20 years old but it will still have the indent and although I've bought new scrivets I'm not sure having them showing will look acceptable - suggestions welcome. New carpet is one option, maybe black instead ... I tried putting old carpet back with self adhesive velcro as carpet couldn't stand another re-glue but velcro comes off carpet backing too easily.

By the way - the door skins come with new door pockets for that price, but it doesn't make that clear in the advert. The pockets are sold separately for £29.99 so makes the skin better value.

You can stick the carpets on with caulk strips. If I'm not mistaken, the stuff I have came from an auto parts store and is made by 3M. Anyway, it strips about a foot long and 1/4 inch around of that really tacky black stuff that's used to hold the plastic lining inside your doors. It holds the carpet bit very firmly and smoothly in place, but they aren't difficult to remove if need be. Careful though. It'll get on your hands, so make sure you don't transfer any to any surfaces you want to keep clean.
Chris

'91 Elan SE
'04 MB C230 Sport Coupe
'08 Mercury Mariner Hybrid
'12 Evora S GP Edition (In my dreams - HA!)
tweetdriver63
God

Postby dapinky » Sun 07.06.2015, 11:07

For mine, I boirrowed a bit from each of the above posters (and others) and came up with a similar but different look.

Firstly, as the rest of the interior (seats and carpet) are black, I wanted to darken the door cards - easily done with the same Leather colourant and sealer that i used on the seats.

The curved bits were the biggest issue to me (I lost one during the strip/re-build - but I've since found it!) and the other was broken a bit. Instead of just repairing it I simply used the door cards as moulds and made some new ones out of fibreglass matting and resin (having first lined the card with clingfilm so it didn't stick!). When still a bit tacky they were easy to trim with a pair of old scissors.

For the bottom section I made a paper template (the old carpet was too floppy to use), transferred it to 3mm hardboard and cut it out, then sanded it down to a good fit.

To make it a bit less susceptible to moisture warping I then painted it with resin.

Drilling 3 x 7mm holes through it and into the doorcard (away from the scrivets!) and using fir-tree fasteners means that they just push on and pull off easily, but remain in place when needed.

I covered them with 2mm foam so i could trim down the bit over the fastener head with a sharp blade, then covered them with black Alcantara.

1m of fabric was enough to do both doors (curved and flat bits) and the steering wheel centre (Elise wheel) - with enough left over to do the centre arm rest if I can be bothered!
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Tuga2112 » Mon 08.06.2015, 20:37

dapinky wrote:For mine, I boirrowed a bit from each of the above posters (and others) and came up with a similar but different look.

Firstly, as the rest of the interior (seats and carpet) are black, I wanted to darken the door cards - easily done with the same Leather colourant and sealer that i used on the seats.

The curved bits were the biggest issue to me (I lost one during the strip/re-build - but I've since found it!) and the other was broken a bit. Instead of just repairing it I simply used the door cards as moulds and made some new ones out of fibreglass matting and resin (having first lined the card with clingfilm so it didn't stick!). When still a bit tacky they were easy to trim with a pair of old scissors.

For the bottom section I made a paper template (the old carpet was too floppy to use), transferred it to 3mm hardboard and cut it out, then sanded it down to a good fit.

To make it a bit less susceptible to moisture warping I then painted it with resin.

Drilling 3 x 7mm holes through it and into the doorcard (away from the scrivets!) and using fir-tree fasteners means that they just push on and pull off easily, but remain in place when needed.

I covered them with 2mm foam so i could trim down the bit over the fastener head with a sharp blade, then covered them with black Alcantara.

1m of fabric was enough to do both doors (curved and flat bits) and the steering wheel centre (Elise wheel) - with enough left over to do the centre arm rest if I can be bothered!

Dave, have you got any pictures please ?
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

Tuga2112
God

Postby steble » Fri 12.02.2016, 11:17

YELLOW ELAN M100
SUZUKI IGNIS SPORT
steble
Enthusiast

Postby Elanlover » Fri 12.02.2016, 14:28

Their stuff is excellent and I have the shift boot and door pockets. They used to go by the name of Top Gaiters. While I have the fascia panel out again I am giving serious consideration to an entire leather interior using their dash and center console cover.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby steble » Sun 14.02.2016, 09:38

Elanlover wrote:Their stuff is excellent and I have the shift boot and door pockets. They used to go by the name of Top Gaiters. While I have the fascia panel out again I am giving serious consideration to an entire leather interior using their dash and center console cover.

That's great to hear thanks

I'll start ordering bit by bit :)
YELLOW ELAN M100
SUZUKI IGNIS SPORT
steble
Enthusiast

Postby Rambo » Sun 14.02.2016, 11:27

steble wrote:
Elanlover wrote:Their stuff is excellent and I have the shift boot and door pockets. They used to go by the name of Top Gaiters. While I have the fascia panel out again I am giving serious consideration to an entire leather interior using their dash and center console cover.

That's great to hear thanks

I'll start ordering bit by bit :)

Steble - I don't know about your finances obviously but the "bit by bit" approach is going to rack up the postal charges. Why not phone the dealer and ask for a discount if you order them all at once. You might get free, or reduced postage at least. Worth a try anyway :wink:
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby Rambo » Sun 14.02.2016, 11:33

Aaaah. Can't find a tel. no. for them but you could always send a message to them via EBay
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Next

Return to Interior