Door trim

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, Nige

Door trim

Postby lolaman » Sun 15.01.2017, 21:53

The adhesive that holds the carpet trim on the doors had gone off and the carpet is hanging loose. I plan to re-attach it using self adhesive velcro, my question is does anyone know the most efficient way of removing the old contact adhesive?
lolaman

Re: Door trim

Postby Dave Eds » Sun 15.01.2017, 22:12

Steam.
'92 NM SE '90 Calypso SE now sold '10 Evora NA '62 Wolseley 1500

Spud's Cotswold Holiday Cottage for hire - LEC discount available
Dave Eds

Location: High Cross, Herts or Mickleton, Gloucs or somewhere else

Postby CalElan » Mon 16.01.2017, 21:13

I used a heat gun and a scraper - but be careful it was hot enough to melt the plastic..

I may try steam on the other door :-)
CalElan
Enthusiast

Postby Giniw » Tue 17.01.2017, 01:14

I used some "essence F", which seems to translate to white gas in English, it worked well. ish. Not extremely fast, but did the job.
The thing is, I know for a fact that what we call "Essence F" in French doesn't attack any plastic, which is nice. But I am NOT sure at all about that white gas, which seems to be a generic name.
So please be careful about that.

FYI: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essence_F
Giniw
God

Postby Saltire » Tue 17.01.2017, 08:52

Essence is what we call petrol across the Channel. This seems (from the Wikipedia link) a particularly nasty solvent, promising all sorts of dire physiological consequences if you come into contact with it. I'm not aware of anything like that being available for sale in this country, but I stand to be corrected.

I generally use a little white spirit to soften the adhesive, then (gentle) elbow grease with a rag to remove it.
Jonathan

Elan S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Fiat Panda 100HP (aka the rollerskate)
BMW F48 X1 2.0D AWD (aka the workhorse)
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire

Postby dapinky » Tue 17.01.2017, 10:57

'White gas' is (to my limited knowledge of French translation mixed with a bit of research and chemical knowledge) a higher end petroleum distilate.

It is commonly referred to as being used in camping stoves (Coleman duel-fuel) in American circles.

It isn't something which gets much reference in the UK, but from when I was researching the best fuel to use in my stove (Unleaded petrol tends to clog up the evaporator over years of use) there was much discussion on the internet about 'white gas' and it's clean alternatives.

I ascertained that the general composition was Naptha (not to be confused with napthalene) which is a fractional distilate from the petrol refinery - ie, clean petrol - with none of the aditives which can cause problems in the stoves.

It is freely available in the UK and generally sold as 'Fast panel wipe' for use in bodyshops as a degreasant before spraying.

I bought a can last year and it does work well in the stove, burning with a nice clean flame.

As mentioned above, it has some health hazards, so I wouldn't recomend drinking it, but common sence rules make it something to not be scared of.

That said, when i did my door cards I used Acetone to remove the old glue, but as I was repainting them I wasn't worried about the fact it discoloured the vinyl with prolonged exposure.

In your case, I think I'd be tempted to just pick off the big bits of loose adhesive, and then use a spray adhesive on the carpet to fix it to the cards.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Artaban » Tue 17.01.2017, 12:14

:agree: Use carpet spray adhesive.

I tried all sorts of things to attach the carpet including velcro but I couldn't get the velcro to stick at all to the door cards and you'd have to sew the other part of the velcro to the carpet. I've no idea why the velcro wouldn't stick, maybe I have the rare teflon coated door card variant.
Andy
My wife's just divorced me because I wouldn't open the car door for her!
To be fair I panicked and swam straight for the surface.
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby Giniw » Tue 17.01.2017, 13:01

Saltire wrote:Essence is what we call petrol across the Channel.
Yes but the important part is the "F" letter ^^

This seems (from the Wikipedia link) a particularly nasty solvent, promising all sorts of dire physiological consequences if you come into contact with it.
No, nothing to be scared of really.
It's a really good grease solvent, and can be used to remove some textile stains, the glue from the stickers, and so on.
And unlike regular petrol it does not attack any plastic. (This is why I would never use acetone to remove the glue from my doors, I would be too afraid to ruin them :lol: )

As for the wikipedia paragraph where they say some people use it to be stoned, I guess it's could be quoted from any of those kind of products (and the smell is not too bad, nothing horrid like old school acetone or ammoniac)

I'm not aware of anything like that being available for sale in this country, but I stand to be corrected.
It's a pity because it's very handy.

I generally use a little white spirit to soften the adhesive, then (gentle) elbow grease with a rag to remove it.
I think it's very similar, but I am not sure whether white spirit attack plastic. But the effect on the glue is really similar indeed.
Giniw
God

Postby Elanlover » Tue 17.01.2017, 14:08

Some heavy duty or exterior grade double sided carpet tape (from 3M or similar manufacturers) should adhere the carpet to the door cards.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby Bern » Tue 17.01.2017, 17:58

I used carpet spray too, and petrol and/or white spirit to help remove the old stuff.
'90 Elan SE Turbo
'08 Mini Clubman Cooper
'03 VW Transporter
'03 VW Lupo
'72 Land Rover 88
'80ish Kubota B5100E
Bern
Fanatic

Return to Interior