Effing Knee Bolster

Moderators: theelanman, nitroman, Specky, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, GeoffSmith, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Effing Knee Bolster

Postby lotusx180r » Mon 18.12.2017, 21:37

I have done the search and found several mentions of the need to remove the Knee Bolster on Federal cars and even some advice, but I am stuck.

Nevermind the reason for removal (for now)

THe manual says to just grab it and pull it up and away from the underdash (from a seated in the drivers seat position). Having done that and being unsuccessful I tried harder and succeeded in pulling the two tabs holding the upper part of it free (but bent them in the process. It became apparent that something was holding the bottom portion in place and the manuals directions were wrong.

One of the posts found in my search indicated that there are two bolts holding the bottom part in place. I figured as much, but after searching and searching I could not see (forget about seeing) or even feel them.

So I removed the driver's seat to facilitate getting into the Lotus position. That did the trick.

I could feel the one closest to the central tunnel and with a ratcheting 10mm spanner was able to get the nut off (nyloc of course, necessitating using the wrench for the entire length of a very long bolt.

I also succeeded in finding the outside one. However it is behind some kind of bracket with a hole cut in it to get allow the bolt to stick through, and presumable to allow access for a socket or nut wrench. But the hole is too small for a 10mm long socket (not that I have one).

Has anyone succeeded in removing this EFFING KNEE BOLSTER??

If so please advise...

Kyle

PS: Now my neck hurts
Kyle Kaulback

'56 Mark VI
'70 Type 61mX
'71 Type 69 FF
'71 Type 69 F2
'90 Lotus Omega
'91 M100 Elan
Lotus Sport 110
'05 Elise (caretaker)
'13 Evora S
lotusx180r

Re: Effing Knee Bolster

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 19.12.2017, 18:44

I did it a couple of years ago. Like you, I remember resorting to taking the seat out and it made things easier (comparatively) but can't remember what I eventually used - it may have been a small socket, extension and pliers to get it cracked then the rest by hand. Just to warn you, if you're doing the throttle cable, this is the easy bit - fortunately Algirdas had a few M100 tubs in his garage to practice on before I refined my technique.

Img_1797x1280.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - Sorry, currently unavailable.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 19.12.2017, 20:10

What's a knee bolster? :smt017
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Elan+"S.... and now a Collapso SE
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 19.12.2017, 20:17

A bit of padded board that sits under the steering wheel to stop your knees twatting something hard in an accident.
Calypso Red S2 #417

GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 20.12.2017, 01:40

GeoffSmith wrote:A bit of padded board that sits under the steering wheel to stop your knees twatting something hard in an accident.

Is that part of the S2 and not on the SE? All I've ever had above my knees is a bit of plastic moulding that's an integral part of the facia panel..
Phil

Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Elan+"S.... and now a Collapso SE
lotusflasherman
God

Postby marvic » Wed 20.12.2017, 03:25

Mine was detached at the top so I wanted to fix it properly. It wasn’t the easiest of jobs but feeling around under the dash while outside the car located the two small nuts. It’s possible a PO replaced locknuts with something easier and while pushing on the bolster, managed to loosen and undo the nuts relatively easily.

Call me a smug git if you like but it was much easier than I anticipated. I had to remake the top bracket as one was broken but a piece of tin and a rivet soon sorted that.

You really need to retain it on a Fed car else there is a large hole. Or is there something from a non-fed car that could b e used instead.

More annoying is that there is no steering column adjustment on a Fed.
1991 Elan M100
1985 Caterham Super Seven
1952 MG TD
marvic

Postby Fredjohn » Wed 20.12.2017, 09:22

lotusflasherman wrote:
GeoffSmith wrote:A bit of padded board that sits under the steering wheel to stop your knees twatting something hard in an accident.

Is that part of the S2 and not on the SE? All I've ever had above my knees is a bit of plastic moulding that's an integral part of the facia panel..

It was only ever fitted on federal cars Phil as far as I can tell.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Elite SLR Endurance 9.8 carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby GeoffSmith » Wed 20.12.2017, 10:26

Fredjohn wrote:
lotusflasherman wrote:

Correct.
Calypso Red S2 #417

GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Rambo » Wed 20.12.2017, 10:31

Fredjohn wrote:
lotusflasherman wrote:

I've never had any knee bolsters on my 3 SE's and have never heard of anyone referring to them until now. So you're probably correct John.
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby clemo » Wed 20.12.2017, 10:33

Add lightness .
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Postby Elanlover » Wed 20.12.2017, 12:18

Only a Fed part for sure. I've had that thing on and off a few times and its a royal pain in the a$$ getting it off and back on. There's no easy way to do it lotusx180r - it is another typical Elan part installed by elves with tiny hands. If I recall, I had a long socket bit on the end of a screwdriver (the kind meant for socket bits to be attached) and even that was hard. Getting it back on can be worse. All that you can do is be patient and slowly work it. :cry:
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby lotusx180r » Wed 20.12.2017, 14:48

I'll get it eventually. Next step is to see what size socket will go through the access hole and if it will go over the nut. I suspect the nut is 10mm like the other one and I don't think I have a socket that will do the job. I may have to buy or borrow a thin wall deep 10mm socket just for this job (buying a tool just for the job at hand is a thing with me)
Kyle Kaulback

'56 Mark VI
'70 Type 61mX
'71 Type 69 FF
'71 Type 69 F2
'90 Lotus Omega
'91 M100 Elan
Lotus Sport 110
'05 Elise (caretaker)
'13 Evora S
lotusx180r

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 20.12.2017, 15:16

Fredjohn wrote:

It was fitted to meet the FED front end collision standard that prevents drivers from ending up in the footwell in a head on crash. (Anti-submarine)

That is also why there is no steering column adjustment. In the early days of airbags, steering columns were mandated to be a specific angle so as not to injure the driver. In very short time, the steering column angle rule was lifted but the FED M100 was already out of production.

I often considered getting a LHD S2 steering rack and seeing if the pinion is at a different angle to complement the lower U-Joint used in the telescoping column.

Too many other things to fix before trying to modify it, but when I finally start on the new chassis/body for rebuilding Steve M.'s car, I will look at this more closely.

BTW, I had no issue removing my bolster (except getting my fat arse to a point where I could see the retaining nuts. No brackets in the way of either nuts.

The "Z" clips A100W6440F are obsolete and I have not found a suitable replacement. I have a few feelers out with manufacturers to see if I can get some made.
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 20.12.2017, 15:41

lotusx180r wrote:I'll get it eventually. Next step is to see what size socket will go through the access hole and if it will go over the nut. I suspect the nut is 10mm like the other one and I don't think I have a socket that will do the job. I may have to buy or borrow a thin wall deep 10mm socket just for this job (buying a tool just for the job at hand is a thing with me)

Kyle: I have several M100s and none has a bracket with a hole in the way of either bolster nut. Maybe you need to use your phone and take some pictures by reaching into the footwell and see if you can find another / different nut. I just used a 1/4" drive 10mm deep socket with a swivel (U-joint) adapter and a 12 inch extension. Having a 1/4" drive air ratchet made it very easy to remove it in a few seconds. It definitely took longer to find the nuts than to actually remove it.

Working on the M100 requires a decent and comprehensive set of tools. You will always find another task for any tools you buy.
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby lotusx180r » Wed 20.12.2017, 16:00

This is the final fastener I need to undo in order to get the bolster off. I can't tell what is behind the hole, only that it is a fastener of some kind. The nut on the other side was a 10mm nyloc. The bolt is off center because all of the other fasteners have been undone and the bolster is hanging.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kyle Kaulback

'56 Mark VI
'70 Type 61mX
'71 Type 69 FF
'71 Type 69 F2
'90 Lotus Omega
'91 M100 Elan
Lotus Sport 110
'05 Elise (caretaker)
'13 Evora S
lotusx180r

Postby Elanlover » Wed 20.12.2017, 16:55

Is this the bolt nearest to the warning module (the white box)? If so, you can remove the box for easier access.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 20.12.2017, 18:51

lotusx180r wrote:This is the final fastener I need to undo in order to get the bolster off. I can't tell what is behind the hole, only that it is a fastener of some kind. The nut on the other side was a 10mm nyloc. The bolt is off center because all of the other fasteners have been undone and the bolster is hanging.

Hole looks big enough for a 10mm 'deep socket' to get to that..
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby lotusx180r » Fri 12.01.2018, 14:37

For those who don't know I am referring to as the knee bolster here is a pic of it off the car (Yes I finally got it off)
Kyle Kaulback

'56 Mark VI
'70 Type 61mX
'71 Type 69 FF
'71 Type 69 F2
'90 Lotus Omega
'91 M100 Elan
Lotus Sport 110
'05 Elise (caretaker)
'13 Evora S
lotusx180r

Postby lotusx180r » Fri 12.01.2018, 14:39

Here is what the back side looks like - the two gold colored pieces are where the bolster attaches on the up side. The two projections are where it attaches on the down side (with rubber vibration isolators and 10mm nylocs attached)
Kyle Kaulback

'56 Mark VI
'70 Type 61mX
'71 Type 69 FF
'71 Type 69 F2
'90 Lotus Omega
'91 M100 Elan
Lotus Sport 110
'05 Elise (caretaker)
'13 Evora S
lotusx180r

Postby lotusx180r » Fri 12.01.2018, 14:48

This is what it looks like behind it.

You will see some wiring from an alarm system I had installed when I purchased it new from the dealer. In retrospect I would not do it again but now we are 25 years on so...

THe attachment points for the bolts that project are the two holes in the black colored bracketstry. Both are now bent due to the process of removal. Now that I can plainly see what it looks like I now know the correct process for removal.

IGNORE THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE FEDERAL MANUAL THAT JUST TELL YOU TO PULL IT OFF. This will bend the upper attachment fasteners and also end up bending the brackets at the bottom. First use 10mm wrenches - the door side will need a socket deep enough to go over the bole and probably an extension and maybe a wobble joint. The tranny side will need either an open end or preferably a ratcheting box. After undoing the bottom, then the top can be undone by pulling up as the manual says.
Kyle Kaulback

'56 Mark VI
'70 Type 61mX
'71 Type 69 FF
'71 Type 69 F2
'90 Lotus Omega
'91 M100 Elan
Lotus Sport 110
'05 Elise (caretaker)
'13 Evora S
lotusx180r

Next