Sill Covers - Painting

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Sill Covers - Painting

Postby roy666 » Fri 05.06.2020, 16:57

Hi Guys- has anyone ever tried to paint the sill covers? I'm wondering if there is a paint of some sort that would withstand the foot scuffs... it would have to be pretty tough. I heard VinylDye paint is quite good. Any ideas?

cheers Mike
roy666
Fanatic

Re: Sill Covers - Painting

Postby Elanlover » Fri 05.06.2020, 17:18

Are you looking to change the colour or just protect them? If changing the colour then a vinyl dye, PROPERLY applied (cleaned, prepped, scuffed, primed, etc.) will work. I recently had all my interior parts dyed black - need to get them back in the car and document that project. They look great.

If you are looking to just protect them then I suggest a clear paint protection film. Works great.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby CallMeLegend » Fri 05.06.2020, 17:22

Elanlover wrote:Are you looking to change the colour or just protect them? If changing the colour then a vinyl dye, PROPERLY applied (cleaned, prepped, scuffed, primed, etc.) will work. I recently had all my interior parts dyed black - need to get them back in the car and document that project. They look great.

If you are looking to just protect them then I suggest a clear paint protection film. Works great.

What product did you use?
CallMeLegend
Fanatic

Postby Elanlover » Fri 05.06.2020, 17:47

I had it professionally done. They used SEM products including the prep, adhesion, and colouring products,
Elanlover

Postby dapinky » Fri 05.06.2020, 18:06

I tried to do mine with a black plastic bumper spray.....

.... it claimed to adhere to all car plastics without a seperate primer, and be scuff resistant, permanent and weatherproof...

....it wasn't any of those things!

(it did look good when first sprayed on and dried - lasted about a week before it started to flake off where the rubber door seal touched it..... and once it got wet, it came off in bigger flakes - not impressed).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Elanlover » Fri 05.06.2020, 18:48

As was explained to me by the guys doing the work, prep is the key. The surface needs to be perfectly clean (alcohol will help - NOT the drinking kind :-D ), scuffed slightly, and primed properly. Painting it extremely evenly is also important to reduce high points. Let it cure for a day or two just to be safe.

I didn't trust my skills and let the pros, who do this all day, worry about it. Came with a warranty too which my work does not include. :wink:
Elanlover

Postby roy666 » Sat 06.06.2020, 14:08

Thanks for the tips Guys... looks like SEM plastic paint is the way to go. I'm just looking to smarten up the sill staying with the ususal lotus grey colour. As you say, its all in the pep.... I'll give it a go. cheers M.
roy666
Fanatic

Return to Interior