WARNING: Original Front Brake Hose Split

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

WARNING: Original Front Brake Hose Split

Postby Coupeboy » Wed 13.06.2018, 14:33

During the MoT test today one of the front brake hoses split during the braking test. The hoses are original so in my case 26 years old and 113 000 miles. I had had some braided racing hoses in the garage for a few years which I have never got around to fitting (the fronts with no attachment to wishbone feature) and some replica originals I got from SJ Sportscars late last year but hadn't fiited yet :bonk: . They are going on tomorrow. If you have original hoses I suggest you replace them! I will also do the backs once I get the car back. 8)
1992 Elan Pacific Blue SE
2007 325se Coupe
Coupeboy
Enthusiast

Re: WARNING: Original Front Brake Hose Split

Postby ElanBRG » Wed 13.06.2018, 16:18

Coupeboy wrote:During the MoT test today one of the front brake hoses split during the braking test. The hoses are original so in my case 26 years old and 113 000 miles. I had had some braided racing hoses in the garage for a few years which I have never got around to fitting (the fronts with no attachment to wishbone feature) and some replica originals I got from SJ Sportscars late last year but hadn't fiited yet :bonk: . They are going on tomorrow. If you have original hoses I suggest you replace them! I will also do the backs once I get the car back. 8)

That's one of the first jobs I did when I got my car earlier this year. They usually clog up on the inside from deterioration of the lining before you see any damage like splitting on the outside.

Most anything made of rubber on a car needs replacing by the time 20 years rolls around.
91 Elan BRG
ElanBRG
Tinkerer

Postby alan e » Wed 13.06.2018, 18:25

Coupeboy wrote:During the MoT test today one of the front brake hoses split during the braking test. The hoses are original so in my case 26 years old and 113 000 miles. I had had some braided racing hoses in the garage for a few years which I have never got around to fitting (the fronts with no attachment to wishbone feature) and some replica originals I got from SJ Sportscars late last year but hadn't fiited yet :bonk: . They are going on tomorrow. If you have original hoses I suggest you replace them! I will also do the backs once I get the car back. 8)

How are you getting it home with a split brake hose ?.
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
Fanatic

Postby Giniw » Wed 13.06.2018, 18:55

With care and/or style? (as long as there is a "branch" of the X system that is working you can brake a little ... OK not very straight, though! :D )
Giniw
God

Postby alan e » Wed 13.06.2018, 20:02

Under the new MOT rules for a split brake hose ie losing brake fluid this would be classed as dangerous so you cannot drive the car away from the testing garage, but i may be wrong over to you Mr Pink.
Last edited by alan e on Wed 13.06.2018, 20:22, edited 2 times in total.
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
Fanatic

Postby Giniw » Wed 13.06.2018, 20:17

Here in France there is a 24 hours delay so you can bring the car to your favourite mechanic.
Giniw
God

Postby dapinky » Wed 13.06.2018, 20:53

alan e wrote:..... but i may be wrong over to you Mr Pink.

Since I retired, my recent information comes from the same place as everyone else (Mr Google is your friend!).

However, I would have said that (legalities aside) it is pretty silly to drive a vehicle on a road with known defective braking system.

Okay, so onto the legalities then 8) Clearly, it would be an offence under the Con & Use Regs and Road Traffic Act 1988 to drive a vehicle on a road in a Dangerous Condition - especially as you are aware of the problem.... lots of points and a big fine, with a discretionary disqualification if the Magistrates think it necessary.

Your insurance company would restrict their liability to the legal minimum, so it could be a very expensive drive home.

As for the procedure for an MOT testing station to refuse to release the vehicle, I am in the dark as to how it works (or should work) - I can see no legal precedent for them insisting it stays put (it could even be considered to be contrary to Sec 1 Theft Act, and leads on to allegations under Sec 4 Fraud). I can see no problem with taking it away on a trailer - and would even suggest that an enterprising MOT garage could have a 'local arangement' with a suitable local flatbed driver to everyones benefit.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Saltire » Wed 13.06.2018, 21:29

Dave

We haven’t seen a corresponding update to the Sentencing Guidelines yet, but it looks as though the view will be “the onus is on the driver”. In other words, the garage will release the vehicle to you (assuming you don’t ask them to do the work), and it’s then your problem as to how you get it to where the work will be done. But if you attempt to drive it on the road, you’ll be committing an offence as described, aggravated by the “no MoT” aspect, with fines from £400 up to an unlimited amount - and points on your licence.
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Postby John_W » Wed 13.06.2018, 22:26

My reading of the OP is that the garage are going to replace the front hoses and Coupeboy will replace the rest at his earliest opportunity.
Coupeboy - it might be an initial MOT fail, but that's probably the best place for a brake hose to burst! A timely warning to anybody still on the original brake hoses.
:-D
John_W
Philistine

Postby Coupeboy » Thu 14.06.2018, 08:49

All correct John. Couldn't have said it better except they are only replacing the burst one as they are busy. Might get it back today/maybe tomorrow - hopefully they can undo the brake pipe union without twisting the pipe. I provided them with my new hose spare. I wait to see what the MoT says. Hours of amusement available here: cardatachecks.co.uk
1992 Elan Pacific Blue SE
2007 325se Coupe
Coupeboy
Enthusiast

Return to Suspension and Brakes