Rear Calipers.. a superioR solution..

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, Nige, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, Sy V, Specky, clemo, Dave Eds

Rear Calipers.. a superioR solution..

Postby Jamie N » Fri 03.08.2018, 19:48

Well it had to happen, out with the notoriously poor OEM rear calipers and in
with a (fairly) modern pair of Honda Type R rears.

Again not a straight fit, in fact a hundred miles from a straight fit!, and requiring
so much thought and working stuff out I am not even going to do a 'how to', so
why bother showing us them you ask!, well this shows that provided you have the will,
some access to tools and machinery, and the determination, you can replace the rear
calipers without having to spend several hundred pounds, because during the research
I did with these I actually found a few others that would also work without a doubt.

But I really wanted these ones as I was always so impressed with the calipers on
my own Honda, I knew if I could work out a way of fitting them I would probably
have the best handbrake any Elan could ever have, well I wasn't wrong, after fitting
and final bleeding / then setting up the cable adjustment I started the car, into 1st
gear and lifted the clutch slowly.... the back end just squatted right down and not
even a creak from the discs, held completely solid and that was without even bedding in the
Pagid pads.

After taking it a good run I parked it on the steepest incline I could find, even after
jumping up and down in the seat like a demented escapee it wouldn't move.

Next job.... the fronts ;-) .

Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Re: Rear Calipers.. a superioR solution..

Postby Rambo » Fri 03.08.2018, 20:11

Well done Jamie :bowdown:

Another 1st from the depths o' Fifeshire
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby clemo » Sat 04.08.2018, 20:29

:agree:
indeed the lotus honda M100 is born
Jim Clark S2 - 1/13. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby Steve A » Sat 04.08.2018, 23:36

:clap: clever sod (again)
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby Jamie N » Thu 09.08.2018, 12:55

Quick update on the Type R caliper conversion.... My relative with the silver Elan had an MOT 2 weeks ago and failed on the handbrake
efficiency (shock horror!), so I decided to do the conversion on that as well, and the modern handbrake mechanism.

Along with H/B efficiency it also had a slight imbalance on the front service brakes which was a result of a sticky slider, remedied that
and done a full brake fluid change with the ever faithful clear piece of washer jet hose plugged with a screw in the bottom and a
10mm slit just above it, was actually surprised how good the footbrake was after that, with the engine running the pedal feel was
excellent, no sinking or sponginess and a good sharp bite, probably even better than McWhitey :D .

Caliper and handbrake conversions done and off it went for an MOT yesterday morning, parking brake locked on both rollers and recorded
25% (minimum 16), and that was without the setup even being bedded in properly as the MOT had expired and I couldn't take it for
a good run, Tester was made aware of the conversion and had a good inspection of it with a subsequent nod of approval, and more
importantly...a new MOT, happy days ;-) .
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby clemo » Thu 09.08.2018, 20:12

:clap: good to hear .
Jim Clark S2 - 1/13. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Return to Suspension and Brakes