Hi Spec caliper pins

Hi Spec caliper pins

Postby PIT-STOP » Mon 17.09.2018, 13:49

Hi, I have Hi Spec billet 4 calipers on the front of my car , and they work brilliantly. Pad change time has come and try as I might I simply can't manage to shift any of the pins. I have lubed them continuously, hammered them etc but no go. The aluminium of the caliper seems to have welded the stainless pins into place. Anyone any similar problems and tips to get them out please? Thanks.
PIT-STOP

Re: Hi Spec caliper pins

Postby Steve A » Mon 17.09.2018, 16:37

PIT-STOP wrote:Hi, I have Hi Spec billet 4 calipers on the front of my car , and they work brilliantly. Pad change time has come and try as I might I simply can't manage to shift any of the pins. I have lubed them continuously, hammered them etc but no go. The aluminium of the caliper seems to have welded the stainless pins into place. Anyone any similar problems and tips to get them out please? Thanks.

I know a man who had the same problem Roy666 :poke:
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby Jamie N » Mon 17.09.2018, 17:29

Come across this problem virtually every week at some point, Peugeot slider pins are particularly prone to seizing in the carriers, the method
that usually works for me is to vice grip the head of the pin and try rotating it back and forward, if that doesn't present any movement unbolt the
carrier and steep it in a bucket of oil overnight with the pin heads uppermost, if that doesn't work its usually another carrier time.

If you do get them out make sure you clean the corrosion in the carrier as well as the sliders.
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby Fredjohn » Mon 17.09.2018, 17:40

Hi-spec calipers don't have slider pins, they are a 4 pot configuration.

I think PIT-STOP is referring to the pins that hold the pads in place.

Unfortunately this doesn't help and I don't have any suggestions other than wondering if the pins (or the holes) have a very slight taper on them and should be knocked out from the other end??
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Elite SLR Endurance 9.8 carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby roy666 » Mon 17.09.2018, 18:00

Yep - Steve is absolutley right.. I had the same problem. take a look at the "Those Running Uprated Front Brakes",.. the whole sorry saga is on there. I had to dremel off the pins (carefully).. then punch through th remaining spiggot (carefully). Hi Spec took no responsibility about the 2 different metals touching one another.. they said repaint the holes!.... they did send me a set of new pins, £25 quid I recall,... no frrebies or free postage. Such business men! M
roy666
Enthusiast

Postby HJ2 » Tue 18.09.2018, 07:29

So this iss the future of all hi-spec owners then? :roll:
Remind me to take them out and lube them up twice a year then :!:
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 18.09.2018, 17:05

Yup, seems to be a problem in aluminium calipers. I used my SE all year including snow and salty roads so thought it was due to that..

On the other thread ("Those Running Uprated Front Brakes") I wrote :

Had a problem trying to shift the pins to get the pads out. The R clips were superfluous as pins were seized in the inner caliper body and trying to drift them out was 'mushrooming' the end.
Only solution was caliper off and split it so I could grip the pin in the vice and rotate the caliper and work it off the pin. I have spare pins and rubber O ring seals but reused everything with some silicone grease.
Had to clean up the hole through the caliper body so may be due to winter salt but seems even HiSpec calipers need a bit of maintenance.. :lol:
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Elan+"S.... and now a Collapso SE
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Rambo » Tue 18.09.2018, 18:23

It doesn't surprise me :?

I have bemoaned in the past that the Hi Specs on the Yellow Peril (my daily user) aren't nearly as good as the ones on the Black Beastie (garage queen). I suspect my pins and o rings also need some attention/replacement

Where did you source yours Phil ? Was it HiSpec direct ?
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 19.09.2018, 14:27

Rambo wrote:It doesn't surprise me :?

I have bemoaned in the past that the Hi Specs on the Yellow Peril (my daily user) aren't nearly as good as the ones on the Black Beastie (garage queen). I suspect my pins and o rings also need some attention/replacement

Where did you source yours Phil ? Was it HiSpec direct ?

Yes. Alex is the man.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Elan+"S.... and now a Collapso SE
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby HJ2 » Fri 21.09.2018, 08:35

This must lead to some sort of group buy :lol:
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby PIT-STOP » Sat 22.09.2018, 11:58

Thanks all. After considerable hammering, banging and oil.......still no movement. it is going to be a caliper off job for the winter. I intend to get new pins and ream out the holes just a tad, followed by copious HT grease. Another job for the list.

Ta.
PIT-STOP

Return to Suspension and Brakes