Alignment Settings

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Alignment Settings

Postby lotusrepair » Sat 01.12.2018, 02:18

I am getting ready to do an alignment on the Elan. My alignment machine has Esprits but not Elans in the database. I was filling in the database for a Elan entry when I came across info that I did not have in the factory book. I need cross camber and cross caster in degrees. The front toe is given in degrees in the book but the rear is given in mm. Can't mix measurements on the machine. What is the degree setting for the rear toe?

Chris
lotusrepair
Enthusiast

Re: Alignment Settings

Postby lotusrepair » Mon 03.12.2018, 06:06

Tonight I did the alignment on the Elan. I used the Esprit settings in the machine as a reference for what I did not have on the Elan. The right rear camber adjustment could not get better than .8 deg. I was looking for .5 with a .25 allowance. So .8 compared to .75 deg. All the bushings are new.

The front camber on the right was also off. The shim plate needed to be turned around. The shop that painted and rebushed the suspension did the assembly. I know that they made notes and put the shims back the way they were. So it might have been off when I bought the car.

I set the front toe but had to go back and reset it after adjusting the camber. Still need to test drive. So much rain in the area.

While it is on the lift I will change out the 12v coolant pump. Tap the motor and it works for a time.

Chris
lotusrepair
Enthusiast

Postby Simon_P » Mon 03.12.2018, 08:10

The coolant pump issue is often just muck in the commutator.
The motor and pump are separate units so it isn't much different from any other electric motor rebuild.
Simon_P
God

Postby steve matthews » Mon 03.12.2018, 17:30

Chris I show Front castor +1deg. - 0. camber -1/4 deg. +-1/4. Toe out 0 to 1/4 deg.
rear camber -0.5 deg +- 0.25 deg. toe in +1.5 to 2.0 mm

Steve
steve matthews
God

Return to Suspension and Brakes