GAZ or Protech shocks

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

GAZ or Protech shocks

Postby Drake » Sat 18.04.2020, 22:39

Hey guys! This is my first post here and my first question would be GAZ or protech shocks? What do you guys think? I’m thinking of swapping out my shocks soon.
Drake

Re: GAZ or Protech shocks

Postby Saltire » Sun 19.04.2020, 07:31

Welcome to the forum!

It's Avo dampers for me, but this has been discussed several times on the forum, notably here and here.

By the way, letting us know where you are is useful, because there are often subtle differences between Federal and ROW cars. For example, I think I’m right in saying that spring rates are different in the US.
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2 no 512, BRG/magnolia, last of 4 UK S2 to this spec - SORN
2019 VW Golf R - “The Flying Tomato”
2020 Volvo XC40 T4 AWD
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby Rambo » Sun 19.04.2020, 08:50

Yeah, don't fit Fed. springs on a UK car unless you want it to look like it's on stilts :lol:

I've seen a few and they look really odd, particularly at the rear where you can get a fist and a half between the wheel arch and top of the tyre :shock:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby dapinky » Sun 19.04.2020, 10:06

Although I would also go for AVO shocks, that only applies for a UK/EU/ROW car......

.... for a FED car, the OE stuff is still available, so I'd fit a new set of Lotus shocks.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 19.04.2020, 13:32

He is in Singapore...
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Lotus Manuals
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby dapinky » Sun 19.04.2020, 14:23

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:He is in Singapore...

Whilst the IP address used for registering on LEC resolves to Singapore (but then, my IP resolves to wherever i want it to), the email could be anywhere (hotmail.com)....... so in the absence of definative information I posted as above.....

But, if we assume that it is a ROW RHD car in Singapore, then TBH, unless it's going on a track, there isn't anywhere to use it on the roads that'll make too much difference to whatever is fitted, so I'd still recommend AVOs - but it may well be that something rebuildable locally will be more suitable......
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 19.04.2020, 14:32

Dave,

He ordered a set of shift cables yesterday, so I know he is in Singapore because that is where the cables are going.
He asked me about shocks and I referred him to LEC, thus his query.
His email to me said he has a lotus elan m100 se.
Since the cables are not model specific, I never asked which variant M100 he has...
I did explain that the FED car has different springs and shocks.
Lotus Manuals
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Drake » Sun 19.04.2020, 17:54

I’m honestly not sure what type my elan is. I only know it’s a elan SE made in 1990 haha
Drake

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 19.04.2020, 18:04

Is it Left Hand Drive or Right Hand?

Does it have 15 inch wheels or 16 inch?

Does it have a 4 position heater control knob (No A/C) or a 6 position control?

What is your VIN #? The VIN Decoder will help identify what you have:

VIN Decoder.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lotus Manuals
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby dapinky » Sun 19.04.2020, 21:13

Drake,

I would suspect that it is a RHD ROW car - if you can put up a photo from a rear 3/4 view we can tell you instantly what it is (the bodyshell is different between European/Fed LHD cars, and UK/ROW RHD cars......)
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby Drake » Mon 20.04.2020, 11:35

Assuming its a RHD ROW Car. What is best for my shocks if i want it to go from street to occasional track applications? Durability too. Lets include AVO shocks here too.
Drake

Postby dapinky » Mon 20.04.2020, 12:26

In that case, I would change the springs for new ones - but keep them at the OE length and rate (not 'uprated'), and fit AVO shocks - I click up from minimum for street use, and front 3 clicks, rear 2 clicks for track use.

(that is how I run mine - with an ocassional fiddle with the settings for track).

I have no direct knowledge of the settings on either GAZ or Protech shocks - but I wouldn't buy them anyway, so I'll leave those who have done to comment on their 'best' settings.
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby Steve A » Thu 11.06.2020, 11:23

I've had an expensive morning :roll: new shocks, springs and exhaust :bananasex: and it only cost me a new kitchen :(
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby dapinky » Thu 11.06.2020, 13:14

Yeah, but think how much you've saved by being stuck at home for the last 3 months......
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby Steve A » Thu 11.06.2020, 16:08

dapinky wrote:Yeah, but think how much you've saved by being stuck at home for the last 3 months......

I wouldn't mind a few more weeks when it all gets delivered :wink:
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby Rocklobster » Fri 12.06.2020, 20:14

Avo's from PNM Engineering.
Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Rocklobster

Postby Rambo » Fri 12.06.2020, 23:11

Steve A wrote:I've had an expensive morning :roll: new shocks, springs and exhaust :bananasex: and it only cost me a new kitchen :(

Must've been a cheap kitchen Steve :shock: Did you go to B and Q :lol:

PS it has an upside though. Just think if those nice shiny "old" units fitted in your garage/mancave :wink:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Rusty Wishbone » Mon 27.07.2020, 19:36

A bit of a diversion: I'm installing Pro-Tech shocks, simply because that is what SJ's sell, and I concluded that they know more than me about what works well. My question is, are gaiters needed to protect the damper rod from dirt? The dampers are supplied with a rubber tube,but these don't seem to be a substitute for gaiters.
Rusty Wishbone
Fanatic

Return to Suspension and Brakes