Full Bushing set S2 ... part numbers?

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, GeoffSmith

Re: Full Bushing set S2 ... part numbers?

Postby roy666 » Wed 30.12.2020, 21:59

Hi Chaps – further blah I’m afraid. I’m in the process of inserting my new suspension bushes into the various arms/struts of the front OS suspension. Part 57 on the DeRoure diagram (Strut assembly-TCA) requires a bush marked as 61 (E100C6002F-bush lower wishbone), which is obsolete and unavailable; however, good old SJS have an alternative which a is a poly bush (SJ100D0006). I’ve seen mixed reviews about using ‘poly’, but I thought I’d give it a go. The questions is: the poly bush I’ve been sent is made up of 2 end parts with a cylinder insert that goes through the middle; the DeRoure diagram details only one bush inserted from the rear side of the strut,.. but I think I would have to use both parts of the bush and insert one from the front end so they meet in the middle (as is usually required for these things). Have I got this right? Also, the metal top hats are still insitu in the strut (left behind when the rubber element of the bush was pushed out). I’m assuming I’ve got to cut these out because the poly bush(s) will not fit otherwise. Thanks for the assist. Mike
roy666
Enthusiast

Postby dapinky » Thu 31.12.2020, 12:44

Mike,

You are correct with both the way to fit them, and the necessity to remove the metal 'casing' of the old bush.

When I first did mine (when those bushes were still in the 'developmental' stage) there were 2 options - to either retain the metal casing and make the bushes smaller, or fit them into the hole in the arms.

It was decided that option 2 was far better as some people may have degraded bushes where the metal wasn't viable, and it would have no benefit in use (and only marginal on fitting).

I think I still have a set of the smaller diameter bushes which fit inside the metal casings, but haven't seen them for a fair few years - and they were never made into production items.

The easiest way to remove the old bushes is to burn the rubber away (but not environmentally appropriate without a proper oven/furnace) - and then use a hacksaw blade to cut through the outer bush casing from the inside. A single cut and use of a suitable chisel will soon have them out!

New bushes are a push fit, and I find it easier to lube the polybush, insert it, then push the metal tube in..... but sometimes it is easier to fit the tube first...... I would suggest using proper silicone lube, but washing up liquid will work for installation (but will lead to squeaky suspension after a while as it washes away in use!!).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby theelanman » Thu 31.12.2020, 13:39

SWL have the polybushes for the rear
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby roy666 » Thu 31.12.2020, 14:08

Dave - got it and much appreciated, I will use the inserts. On the last stretch now... but project creep is a bummer; looking at taking off the heat shields now that I have easy access (well, what's left of them) and getting them refurbed. These things don't exist anywhere/anymore..I suppose?! ta M.
roy666
Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Suspension and Brakes