Brake servo

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Brake servo

Postby permol » Tue 13.09.2022, 16:39

My 1996 S2 failed at MOT due to a lack in the brake servo. Unfortunately I can not find this part (C100J6019F) for sale. But is this part a Lotus-part, or is it taken from another manufacturer? Or does somebody in here have one that I could buy to get the car back on the road?

Regards from Norway!
permol

Re: Brake servo

Postby Rusty Wishbone » Tue 13.09.2022, 19:37

You want to be pretty sure that the servo is faulty before you replace it because the work involved in doing the swap is extensive:

Centre console out
steering wheel & column out
dash facia out
pedal box out
wheel arch liner out

The service manual is very good, although you do jump from section to section.

Assuming that the servo on the S2 cars is the same as on the SE, use the servo from a Corsa B part number 03495028.
Rusty Wishbone
Fanatic

Postby permol » Tue 13.09.2022, 20:15

Rusty Wishbone wrote:You want to be pretty sure that the servo is faulty before you replace it because the work involved in doing the swap is extensive:

Centre console out
steering wheel & column out
dash facia out
pedal box out
wheel arch liner out

The service manual is very good, although you do jump from section to section.

Assuming that the servo on the S2 cars is the same as on the SE, use the servo from a Corsa B part number 03495028.

Unfortunately two workshops have concluded it’s the brake servo… :(
As far as I can read in the parts list, there’s no differences between S2 and SE, only LHD and RHD. Mine is LHD.
permol

Postby Tuga2112 » Tue 13.09.2022, 22:03

permol wrote:Unfortunately two workshops have concluded it’s the brake servo… :(

are these workshops familiar with Elans specifically ?

The elan front brakes are very different to any other period car i have tried while i never heard of a broken servo usually a good overall refurbishment can make wonders to how they act while still feeling very underwelming for a car this nippy
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Postby Rusty Wishbone » Tue 13.09.2022, 22:13

Tuga2112 wrote:are these workshops familiar with Elans specifically ?

The elan front brakes are very different to any other period car i have tried while i never heard of a broken servo usually a good overall refurbishment can make wonders to how they act while still feeling very underwelming for a car this nippy

I suppose that the way to test it is to drive the car with the vacuum hose attached, and then with it disconnected, and to see if braking is diminished. But that is what I would expect the workshop to have done already.
Rusty Wishbone
Fanatic

Return to Suspension and Brakes