Lower Wishbone Inner Bush E100C6002F

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Lower Wishbone Inner Bush E100C6002F

Postby basher » Sat 14.01.2023, 19:29

Did I see somewhere that somewhere someone modified some other bushes to replace these? I know they are effectively obsolete and a group buy is at the understanding interest stage?
Or is the SJ option the only available? 8 at £37 is a bit painful....
basher
Enthusiast

Re: Lower Wishbone Inner Bush E100C6002F

Postby basher » Sat 21.01.2023, 14:57

Silence probably tells me all I need to know....
Ok another question. I have my drivers side suspension all apart at the moment on the bench. The end pivot joint Lower Ball Joint TCA - A100C6020F concerns me.
It looks to be in reasonable condition and moves freely, however the boot (which appears to be in good condition) on top does not seem to be linked to the TCA at all. Normally, you have a metal tie around a raised ridge or something similar which anchors the boot to the TCA and stops the muck and rubbish getting in, This seems almost like a little cap that sits on top of the joint but is not sealed at the base.
Obviously at the moment, while it is off the car and unconnected to anything else, it is probably moving through a range of movement that it wouldn't normally have and this might allow the boot to move to a position where it isn't fully over the joint below protecting it. Normally I would imagine it covers the ball most/all of the time.
Is this normal? Im in a position where Im changing whatever needs it because I don't fancy doing this again for a while and I've still got the other side to do. I don't think its that expensive but I don't want to bother if a new ones going to be exactly the same.

Any ideas?
basher
Enthusiast

Postby dapinky » Sat 21.01.2023, 15:57

Well, I have been looking at all this sort of stuff this week (and spending £££s at various suppliers for the new project!) so I can make a few observations on both current stuff available, and how I have done stuff previously.

First, as far as the inner bushes for the lower wishbone are concerned - Lotus list a different part for the frontmost inner bush and the rearmost inner bush - this is because one is slightly more pliable than the other in it's original manufacture.....

..... I don't know if that is still the case with the 'currently available' poly bushes, but I suspect that it is a slightly different shore rating on the bush - who knows? Either way, it is the only option that I know of (or can find) anyway, so if yours need changing, this is the only way to do it, short of getting some bespoke ones made, or chancing across some NOS ones.

The lower balljoint on the front TCAs is one of those parts which I have never needed to replace - they seem to go on forever, unless they suddenly don't!

It is one of the very few parts which I examine to see if it is bad, and only consider replacing if needed - otherwise, I just re-grease it (the boot has already gone in the bin by this point to examine the actual ball & socket with all grease removed), fit a new boot, and use a new nylock when assembling it all. I never use any chemical degreasant when cleaning them up as I don't want any residue to 'dilute' the new grease - just wipe it off with a clean rag.

It sounds like you have an issue with your boot, as it certainly should be attached both top (to shaft) and bottom (to TCA) with either spring clips, cable ties or locking wire (I favour stainless locking wire).

As boots are cheap as chips and generally get damaged when dismantling the suspension anyway, I always have a bag full in the garage - I cant remember the exact dimensions, or the cross-reference (some tractor, IIRC), but a 'universal' item does the job fine - something like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304193755192 will have what you need, or you can just measure a good one and buy that particular size (the only measurements you need are top diameter, bottom diameter and height).

As the boot has (presumably) only been detached since the last MOT (otherwise it should have been noted), the actual balljoint is unlikely to have picked up enough crap to have worn, but give it a good check over, as a new balljoint is only £15 at SJs.... but worth adding a few other bits to the order to cope with the minimum postage! (I started off with 2 raft bushes in my basket and the final basket ended up at £250ish - postage only went up 40p :? )
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby basher » Sun 22.01.2023, 18:10

Thanks for the advice.
I guess that's where my thinking was going, change it as its cheap although a pain to push in/out. Just wondering if the next one would be the same and again I would have nothing to attach the base to.

I don't know what you mean regarding the different wishbone inner bush, as far as I can tell the Parts Manual only shows the one bush being used?
basher
Enthusiast

Postby dapinky » Sun 22.01.2023, 18:39

basher wrote:I don't know what you mean regarding the different wishbone inner bush, as far as I can tell the Parts Manual only shows the one bush being used?

If you look at page 31.03A of the parts book, it lists #65 & #66 as different part numbers for the front and rear bushes - both part numbers feature on SJs parts list, but if they are actually any different to each other is anyone's guess????
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby basher » Sun 22.01.2023, 20:18

Ah, I am working on the front end wishbones, I haven't got to the rear yet!! Although Ive got no reason to think the rears are any better.
Like you say, they appear to be interchangeable with the front apart from that back one.
basher
Enthusiast

Postby chrism » Sun 22.01.2023, 20:40

Bell + Colvill w/site gives exploded diagrams and part numbers; that'll tell you if they're interchangeable?
chrism
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Sun 22.01.2023, 20:42

I understand your confusion..... if (when?) you look at SJ's website it lists the E100C6002F bushes under the front suspension section, but they are for the inner wishbone (lower) at the rear......

.... not at all clear, really.

What you actually need for the front is SJ100C0008 & SJ100C0009.... which are actually the exact same part ..... each part number is a pair of bushes, so 1 of each will do both sides.... the rubber ones have not been available for quite some time.

Then you need the outer bush (listed as the damper yolk link bush) # D100C6005F x 2 .... alternatively, if you wish to keep it all as polybushes, then Steve may have them on the shelf, but Phil (SW Lotus) definitely lists them (or at least, he did last week!).

As for the top wishbone bushes, then I usually change them just for the hell of it - but I can't say I've ever seen any OE rubber ones which have degraded to the point of failure.
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby basher » Mon 06.02.2023, 22:41

Quick question that probably won’t be quick.
Could you replace those two bushes with one instead? What does having two (one each side) give you that you don’t get with one tubular bush running the length of the TCA mount. The two bushes do actually touch in the middle and push against each other but you probably still get independent movement from each.

There are bushes out there that could potentially be adapted so that’s why I ask.
basher
Enthusiast

Return to Suspension and Brakes