pedal pushing back

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

pedal pushing back

Postby The Ref » Sun 06.07.2008, 17:17

I have recently had new front pads and disks alone with new rear pads fitted I changed the brake fluid at the same time. The car also passed its mot and has covered 40 miles. This weekend I took her to Scotland and covered over 500 miles. During the weekend when I was pressing the brake pedal, it is pushing back against my foot. Has anyone come across this and if so how do i fix this problem.

Billy
There are 3 types of people in the world. Those that can add up and those that can't
User avatar
The Ref
Fanatic
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun 30.09.2007, 21:21
Location: The "pools" HUFC must win a game some day soon

Postby Foo » Sun 06.07.2008, 17:34

You mean like pulsing against your foot under braking?
User avatar
Foo
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri 09.05.2008, 20:43

Postby The Ref » Sun 06.07.2008, 17:58

Foo wrote:You mean like pulsing against your foot under braking?


yes Foo that is what I mean. I think it may be air in the system.

Billy
There are 3 types of people in the world. Those that can add up and those that can't
User avatar
The Ref
Fanatic
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun 30.09.2007, 21:21
Location: The "pools" HUFC must win a game some day soon

Postby Monty » Sun 06.07.2008, 22:47

The Ref wrote:
Foo wrote:You mean like pulsing against your foot under braking?


yes Foo that is what I mean. I think it may be air in the system.

Billy


If it`s Pulsing then that sounds like warped disc to me :?
User avatar
Monty
Chunder King!
 
Posts: 7977
Joined: Sun 11.01.2004, 22:32
Location: Leeds

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Mon 07.07.2008, 19:27

:agree:
Must....................Go...............Faster
User avatar
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu 14.07.2005, 07:35
Location: Earth or there abouts

Postby firebobby » Mon 07.07.2008, 20:21

I concur :wink: Does it do it all the time, or after a heavy braking session?
It could possibly be that whoever fitted the discs hasn't cleaned the hub face, and therefore the disc is not sitting true! just a possibility and an easy one to remedy.
regards
dave
User avatar
firebobby
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri 13.06.2008, 20:36
Location: Lancashire.

Postby The Ref » Tue 08.07.2008, 20:49

Monty wrote:
The Ref wrote:
Foo wrote:You mean like pulsing against your foot under braking?


yes Foo that is what I mean. I think it may be air in the system.

Billy


If it's Pulsing then that sounds like warped disc to me :?


only 700 miles on a new set of discs/pads the n/s one was warped on the inside edge. had it skimmed so ok for now. I will keep a eye on the mileage to see if it happens again. if so they will be going back. thanks for your help one and all.


Billy
There are 3 types of people in the world. Those that can add up and those that can't
User avatar
The Ref
Fanatic
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun 30.09.2007, 21:21
Location: The "pools" HUFC must win a game some day soon

Postby Monty » Tue 08.07.2008, 21:29

The Ref wrote:
Monty wrote:
The Ref wrote:
Foo wrote:You mean like pulsing against your foot under braking?


yes Foo that is what I mean. I think it may be air in the system.

Billy


If it's Pulsing then that sounds like warped disc to me :?


only 700 miles on a new set of discs/pads the n/s one was warped on the inside edge. had it skimmed so ok for now. I will keep a eye on the mileage to see if it happens again. if so they will be going back. thanks for your help one and all.


Billy


If ony one disc was warped then you must have a brake caliper problem ie sticking sliding pins. So more than likely this will happen again :?
User avatar
Monty
Chunder King!
 
Posts: 7977
Joined: Sun 11.01.2004, 22:32
Location: Leeds

Postby The Ref » Wed 09.07.2008, 07:58

Monty wrote:
The Ref wrote:
Monty wrote:
The Ref wrote:
Foo wrote:You mean like pulsing against your foot under braking?


yes Foo that is what I mean. I think it may be air in the system.

Billy


If it's Pulsing then that sounds like warped disc to me :?


only 700 miles on a new set of discs/pads the n/s one was warped on the inside edge. had it skimmed so ok for now. I will keep a eye on the mileage to see if it happens again. if so they will be going back. thanks for your help one and all.


Billy


If ony one disc was warped then you must have a brake caliper problem ie sticking sliding pins. So more than likely this will happen again :?


can I get new pins and if so were can I gat them from ?

Billy
There are 3 types of people in the world. Those that can add up and those that can't
User avatar
The Ref
Fanatic
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun 30.09.2007, 21:21
Location: The "pools" HUFC must win a game some day soon

Postby dermotbell » Thu 10.07.2008, 16:08

You can take the pins out, clean them and re-grease them and replace. You may find the rubber boots need replacing (19£ a set from SJ).

Also there is a thread here that Bob Brown is running to put in anodised pins. If he gets enough interest I think he said he would do a second run.
Dermot Bell
User avatar
dermotbell
Fanatic
 
Posts: 487
Joined: Sun 11.06.2006, 21:04
Location: Dubai

Postby Elanlover » Thu 10.07.2008, 19:03

Monty wrote:If it's Pulsing then that sounds like warped disc to me :?


No such thing as a "warped disc" unless you're racing under extreme conditions and generating heat in excess of what the iron can tolerate. Not likely in our cars under any circumstances. What you would have though (if pulsing is what you're experiencing) is cementide buildup.

Brakes use two differenttypes of "friction" to stop. Ablative and abbrasive. The abbrasive part comes from the pads on the rotor and the ablative part is the rotor shedding surface metal. The pads deposit some of their material onto the rotor surface. Over time you can get an uneven buildup or distribution of this material which can then lead to the "pulsing" feeling from the brakes that people often call "rotor warping".

Now, this can happen even with new pads and rotors if the pads have not been bedded in properly - a surprisingly critical step for new pads and rotors as I learned. There is a recommended process for bedding in rotors and pads and, since many rorots come from the factory with a coating on them to prevent rust, you really need to follow this if you can. It involves (can't remember exactly the steps but this will be pretty close) a set of progressively faster stops starting at about 20 mph, then 30mph, 40mph, 50mph, 60mph and 70mph (if you find the space to do this without getting a ticket :wink: ). These stops would be easy stops without really leaning on the pedal. Do this again for a total of 10 times with each stop becoming progressively more aggressive so that the last set of stops involves leaning on the brakes pretty hard. Allow time between each run for the rorots andf pads to cool. When done, drrive the car around for a bit with noremal braing/driving and DO NOT apply the parking brake until the rotors/pads have completely cooled.

Solution To Problem: have the rotors lightly skimmed or machined to remove the uneven cementide buildup IF that's what the problem really is.

(not trying to be a smart ass here since I used to call it "warping" too but this is a little factoid I learned last year that i thought I'd share :D )
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
User avatar
Elanlover
Moderator
 
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
Location: The Great White North

Postby GeoffSmith » Fri 11.07.2008, 07:00

Elanlover wrote:I used to call it "warping" too but this is a little factoid I learned last year

Me too! :D
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Postby dermotbell » Fri 11.07.2008, 19:30

That's a good read
Dermot Bell
User avatar
dermotbell
Fanatic
 
Posts: 487
Joined: Sun 11.06.2006, 21:04
Location: Dubai

Postby bobbrown » Sat 12.07.2008, 09:12

I agree with Elanlover!

Most people forget to bed in the brakes and do not check the disc when fitted for run out
In our case max run out is 0.1mm (0.004") when fitted and is checked with a clock gauge.

The subject of brake pad break-in can be a very controversial topic. Almost every tech has their own opinion!
It also depends on the type of brakes pads fitted as some require higher temperatures to reach operating range.
Heat should be put into the system gradually - increasingly hard stops with cool off time in between. Part of the idea is to avoid prolonged contact between pad and disc.
Article http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_wa ... disk.shtml


Bob
User avatar
bobbrown
God
 
Posts: 2804
Joined: Wed 10.05.2006, 12:51
Location: North Essex

Re: pedal pushing back

Postby The Ref » Sun 19.10.2008, 13:17

I had the discs skimmed as the left one had warped slightly. After doing less than 200 miles the pulsating returned so this time I ordered two new discs and today I stipped down both callipers which are moving freely. After reasembling the callipers with the new discs I had a close inspection of the old disc and noticed that one has a crack in it (see photo's). Do you have any idea how the disc got cracked as both callipers where moving freely on the sliders.

Billy

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg15 ... C_5348.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg15 ... C_5323.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg15 ... C_5333.jpg
There are 3 types of people in the world. Those that can add up and those that can't
User avatar
The Ref
Fanatic
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun 30.09.2007, 21:21
Location: The "pools" HUFC must win a game some day soon

Re: pedal pushing back

Postby Elanlover » Sun 19.10.2008, 13:50

My personal opinion is that's not normal. The only way you're going to crack a disc is extreme overheating. The calipers would have to be seized on the disc (which you'd obviously notice in more ways than one) or you've been doing some very, very heavy track runs that involve a awful lot of braking. I'm not the expert here but I'd take it back and get a refund. If you've only done 700 miles on the car then this is a defect, plain and simple s I can't imagine anyone being able to crack a disc after 700 miles (only one side too mind you) of normal driving including some track outings (which you haven't done).
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
User avatar
Elanlover
Moderator
 
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
Location: The Great White North

Re: pedal pushing back

Postby Specky » Sun 19.10.2008, 14:06

I wonder if it's a manufacture flaw with the disk...

What brake pads are you running ?

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
User avatar
Specky
Moderator
 
Posts: 5982
Joined: Sun 07.09.2003, 23:19
Location: Swindon

Re: pedal pushing back

Postby bobbrown » Sun 19.10.2008, 14:48

That looks more like a material flaw than any thing else.
If the crack was heat related I would expect to see a lot of hair line cracks as per pic
DiscCracked.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pacific Blue N/A
" When you’re up to your arse in alligators, it’s difficult to remember that the object of the exercise is to drain the swamp"
please use email for correspondence
User avatar
bobbrown
God
 
Posts: 2804
Joined: Wed 10.05.2006, 12:51
Location: North Essex

Re: pedal pushing back

Postby Elanlover » Sun 19.10.2008, 15:08

bobbrown wrote:That looks more like a material flaw than any thing else.
If the crack was heat related I would expect to see a lot of hair line cracks as per pic
DiscCracked.jpg


Good point Bob. There'd have to be more than one crack in one location if it was due to overheating. The jaggedness of your crack looks more and more like a defect. Go get a refund and don't take no for an answer. Be brave, act angry, spout terms to make them think you know what you're talking about and tell them you've had it looked at by a few brake experts (ok only one - Bob - but we all THINK we're experts :wink: ).
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
User avatar
Elanlover
Moderator
 
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri 05.08.2005, 19:11
Location: The Great White North

Re: pedal pushing back

Postby The Ref » Sun 19.10.2008, 16:45

the Front disc pads are pec pad428.
There are 3 types of people in the world. Those that can add up and those that can't
User avatar
The Ref
Fanatic
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun 30.09.2007, 21:21
Location: The "pools" HUFC must win a game some day soon

Next

Return to Suspension and Brakes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests