Which disks

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Re: Which disks

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 20.12.2017, 17:52

texas2201 wrote: Found some in the UK for a Triumph Stag

Have they got a sidelight bulb in them?
I've only been able to find LHD with Pilot Light (sidelight) that we don't need - not a big issue, I'll just shove a grommet in it but would prefer them without it. Can find plenty of RHD units available without Pilot Lights.... :smt017
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Giniw » Wed 20.12.2017, 18:32

Aren't the Durite available for LHD cars? (I have not bought them, I only needed the main beams)
(I was not that happy about the build quality as the bulb holder is not precisely located at the reflector focal point but the holder can be adjusted with a little vice — once adjusted they are good :-D)
Giniw
God

Postby texas2201 » Thu 21.12.2017, 13:59

lotusflasherman wrote:
texas2201 wrote: Found some in the UK for a Triumph Stag

Have they got a sidelight bulb in them?
I've only been able to find LHD with Pilot Light (sidelight) that we don't need - not a big issue, I'll just shove a grommet in it but would prefer them without it. Can find plenty of RHD units available without Pilot Lights.... :smt017

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayIS ... 000&ver=06 yes they have but looks like they come with a gromet
http://www.extremepetrolhead.blogspot.com/

"brakes are no good - they just slow you down" Fangio :-)
texas2201
God

Postby clemo » Tue 09.01.2018, 09:57

Is this only for the cars that have had converted rears ?

Looking to do my standard ones which are £57 + vat + delivery from SJ sportscar .
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Postby dapinky » Tue 09.01.2018, 11:49

Clemo, assuming that you are back on topic, and not talking about headlights......

.... Front disks at SJs are listed at £19.95 each, but the picture shows it to be a 'standard' Apec DSK518, and nowt sexy.

You can get a pair on your doorstep via fleabay for half the price (or as they are quite heavy, a local motor factor could be worth a visit).

And in answer to your question about 'uprated rears' - the front discs are 256mm diameter, vented, and the rears for the hub conversion are the Apec DSK117 solid, 236mm diameter - if using OE calipers......

Not sure where your SJ price is coming from, as the OE rears are ridiculously expensive new, and the 'alternative' is an old hub which has been cleaned up on a lathe.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby John_W » Tue 09.01.2018, 13:08

Clemo,

I'm just off the 'phone to PNM about my leaky rear PNM caliper (see other thread). In the course of conversation the guy mentioned that they can skim old discs for £25 each + VAT + carriage, and this could be done multiple times over the car's life as their kit allows for brake disc thickness down to 8mm (the Elan's rear disc is 12mm). I don't know what rear set-up you have, but if it is PNM calipers then a disc skim might be all you need.

John
John_W
Philistine

Postby clemo » Tue 09.01.2018, 13:45

Thank you for the replies.

I am running standard rears and have just had my brakes overhauled ( about to fit new pads on a new topic) and was just as a matter of course going to put new rear discs on as i have already done the fronts ..

would a skim just suffice or as the lot is being done change for new and know that its future proofed .

I was thinking of the PNM set up but it doesn't seem to get a good write .

If i stick to my standard set up overhauled would i feel any benefit over a new or refurbished rear disc?
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Postby Fredjohn » Tue 09.01.2018, 14:36

Measure them at first.

There is often a lip on the edge where the pad was not making contact ( and on inside as well sometimes) on both sides of the disc. If this lip is small, and the overall (non-lipped) thickness is more than 11.5mm, then a skim should be OK. You will not notice the difference to new discs.

If it is less then 11.5mm and the lip is severe, fit new discs.

Note see page JE15 of the WSM. New thickness 12.7mm, minimum thickness for regrind 11.5mm, minimum wear thickness 10.9mm
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Elite SLR Endurance 9.8 carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Previous

Return to Suspension and Brakes