SW Lotus Poly suspension bushes experience

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

SW Lotus Poly suspension bushes experience

Postby chrisP » Thu 07.01.2016, 13:20

Hi as the title suggests, has anyone used the Southwest Lotus suspension bushes and if so what were their opinions. I'm looking to do a front suspension rebuild and they look like a good option.

Thanks
Chris
chrisP
Fanatic

Re: SW Lotus Poly suspension bushes experience

Postby Artaban » Thu 07.01.2016, 17:17

Chris,
I don't know if SW Lotus poly bushes differ from others but I did my front suspension rebuild at the end of last year and used whatever rubber bushes were still available (purchased from Oakmere Motors/ Christopher Neil) and the rest they supplied were poly bushes. I haven't experienced any issues at all. All I know is that the car feels so much better with a similar compliant ride but with much less wallowing in the corners. Its worth getting all the angles professionally set up once you have done the rebuild; makes a world of difference as well. Mine was done by Blink Motorsport in Winsford http://www.blinkmotorsport.com but you may find someone closer with the same equipment which is the Hunter Hawkeye Wheel Alignment. It has the M100 on its database so can set up the geometry exactly as it left the factory (providing your chassis is still straight).
Knowing SWL I can't imagine they would supply something that wasn't the best they could find. They drive M100's themselves.
Andy

P.S. Whilst I don't want to encourage project creep if you are going to do the front suspension consider putting new boots on the driveshafts and with the prongeron removed you can remove the sump and clean out the oil pickup which, if it hasn't been done, will probably have a lot of *rap in it by now. Makes the engine quieten down much quicker from cold start up.
My wife's just divorced me because I wouldn't open the car door for her!
To be fair I panicked and swam straight for the surface.
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby Artaban » Thu 07.01.2016, 17:25

This link might help when it comes to finding someone with the Hunter Hawkeye equipment; http://www.alignmycar.co.uk
Post some pics of the rebuild. All the best.
Andy
My wife's just divorced me because I wouldn't open the car door for her!
To be fair I panicked and swam straight for the surface.
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby chrisP » Thu 07.01.2016, 18:54

Brilliant thanks for the reply Andy, I was going to source the original raft bushes and then use the poly bushes for the wishbones and then once everything is back together and MOT obtained get it properly aligned (I have a local garage with all the kit that I use). With regard to project creep it has already happened an the front suspension was the last thing to do before I get a respray - I have done pretty much everything else :shock:

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chrisP
Fanatic

Postby epipete » Thu 07.01.2016, 20:38

Artaban wrote:
Its worth getting all the angles professionally set up once you have done the rebuild; makes a world of difference as well. Mine was done by Blink Motorsport in Winsford http://www.blinkmotorsport.com but you may find someone closer with the same equipment which is the Hunter Hawkeye Wheel Alignment. It has the M100 on its database so can set up the geometry exactly as it left the factory (providing your chassis is still straight).

I think that, whilst I have no reason to suspect anything untoward with my car, this is always a concern for those of us who have a missing or incomplete history! I suppose it is possible to measure all the correct lengths and angles, as published in the manuals, to get some reassurance!
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby Sport Paolo » Mon 01.02.2016, 22:37

I've just ordered a full set of these plus ball joints. I'll be getting Gav at Unit 4 in Burton to fit them. Not sure yet on Geo set up but I'll update on how it goes.
Sport Paolo

Postby Sport Paolo » Tue 01.03.2016, 21:11

Dropped her off at Gavs today. Also changing ball joints , radiator, intercooler rad and fitting 2 new revotec fans. :clap:
Sport Paolo

Postby Sport Paolo » Wed 09.03.2016, 22:21

Update:-
The 'full set' of poly bushes supplied by SW Lotus did not include the upper front wishbone ones. Instead they sent 4 rubber ones. However, these were the wrong size. Called them and was told that they don't supply poly upper front wishbone bushes. Sourced some poly ones from SJ. Gav is in the process of fitting. A bit disappointing given the cost of the full set from SW Lotus. More to follow.
Sport Paolo

Postby Sport Paolo » Sun 17.04.2016, 19:26

Looks like I've totally hijacked this thread, sorry.
One thing lead to another and turned into a total suspension rebuild. AVO shocks fitted and standard springs retained.
Car is totally transformed. Everyone should do this.
Sport Paolo

Postby tigerdog » Tue 26.04.2016, 00:32

Hi! A few questions for Paolo:
Did SWLC say why they didn't send poly bushings for the upper front wishbones?
Since the rubber ones were wrong, what did you use to replace the upper front bushings?
Did you replace the raft bushings at the same time?

Thanks in advance!
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby Sport Paolo » Tue 26.04.2016, 21:59

Hi Tigerdog, SW said they don't supply the front uppers in poly. Got some from SJs no problem. All my bushes are now poly.
Nice and tight down there!
Sport Paolo

Postby chrisP » Wed 27.04.2016, 12:02

Glad to hear the good reviews, I had to get the poly top wishbone bushes from SJ's and have left the lower ones standard (Whilst replacing the various raft bushes) I can't wait to have it on the road this year.

Chris
chrisP
Fanatic

Postby chrisP » Thu 17.08.2017, 12:08

In answer to my own question, I have come across a problem with the SJ front upper wishbone poly bushes - the nearside ones are creaking in a big way - I will be disassembling the suspension this weekend to find out why.

Chris
chrisP
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Thu 17.08.2017, 13:50

Chris,

did you use the proper grease when you fitted them? It is an inherrent 'problem' with poly bushes to 'creak'. If left ungreased, it can cause them to start to break up a bit as they try to rotate in the housing but cant (hence the noise).

It has always been a "problem" with these things, and many people just treat it as a service schedule to clean and regrease them. (certainly on our competition cars they were done very regularly).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby chrisP » Mon 21.08.2017, 11:22

Hi Dave, yes all greased up with the supplied copper-ease, they have only been on for about 1500 miles and I was hoping for a more fit and forget solution.

I believe the problem is down to the machining of the PU part of the kit. The stainless insert is the same length as the inner metal part of the original bush, but the PU bush is too thick, so when the suspension bolts are done up all the pressure is 'spent' trying to compress the PU and the stainless insert is probably not in contact with the mating surfaces. See the attached picture - the bush is proud on both sides, what do you think?

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chrisP
Fanatic

Postby Fredjohn » Mon 21.08.2017, 12:23

Is the new inner metal sleeve longer than the wishbone housing?

If so you could machine the bush down so the bolt does tighten onto the sleeve. Or does this defeat the object of the bush? I assume the metal sleeve is bonded to the bush.

Either way the bush should rotate inside the housing, hence the grease I guess.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
MB E250 CDi coupe 2013
Boardman Endurance SLR 9.4 disc 2018
Rapido 746 2010
Lotus Evija Danish edition
Fredjohn
God

Postby dapinky » Mon 21.08.2017, 12:38

Chris,

I assume that the grease supplied would be the correct part - and although it looks like copper grease, *should* be lithium-based, not petrol based.

Have a look at this (nice and short!) article.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby chrisP » Mon 21.08.2017, 13:51

Hi Dave, yes I used the correct grease - the one supplied with the kit. But as FredJohn says the loading is on the poly part as the stainless insert (which is not bonded) is the correct length but is shielded by the bush. I believe that they need to be turned down on a lathe. Here is the page from SJ's
bush

P.S thanks for the link
Chris
chrisP
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 21.08.2017, 20:42

It might be less aggravation to get new inserts made since the bushes fit in the allotted space. Is there any chance the inner cores are too long and the bushes are hitting each other in the middle? If the inner bushes fit snuggled against the upper raft and the outer bush is snug into the upper wishbone, I would get new spacers made that are slightly longer than the distance from one bushing outside to the other.

Have you considered contacting Steve and asking him how the problem could exist in the first place? He might have new spacers available that resolve the problem.
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Tue 22.08.2017, 14:24, edited 2 times in total.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby chrisP » Tue 22.08.2017, 13:59

The problem as far as I can see is that the outside faces of the PU inserts have not been machined correctly, they are all different thicknesses (differing by approximately 1.5 mm) I guess I should contact SJ's but the parts have been on the car for a year now, so I don't think there is much recourse. I may try machining the pu inserts, in a lathe, to the correct thickness
chrisP
Fanatic

Next

Return to Suspension and Brakes