aaaargh job creep

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

aaaargh job creep

Postby andy b » Wed 26.10.2016, 17:54

Been using the élan a fair bit on some long runs 200mile plus and noticed a front wheel bearing getting noisy so i have a spare hub and hub casting no problem just change it for the spare.
I restored the rear suspension last year so i thought just pop the wishbones off clean and paint blimey what a job and i am surprised how scabby it all was and the fixing bolts on the top ball joint i have to drill out i will leave the other side for a later date i want the car as a runner but it will have to be done this winter.
still love the thing though
andy b
If you can't fix it with a hammer it's electrical.
élan back on the road
andy b
Enthusiast

Re: aaaargh job creep

Postby Elanlover » Wed 26.10.2016, 18:50

That's nothing. Wait till it expands to a new stereo and led headlights then get back to us. :-D
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby andy b » Wed 26.10.2016, 19:10

Elanlover wrote:That's nothing. Wait till it expands to a new stereo and led headlights then get back to us. :-D

DONE already yeah right
andy
:clap:
élan back on the road
andy b
Enthusiast

Postby andy b » Fri 28.10.2016, 18:44

DSCN1687.jpg
Putting it all back together after painting the wishbones i noticed this on a spare pair of top bones you don't realy notice the way it all goes together when you strip it with 25 years worth of road crud on it i just thought i would mention this the top ball joint bolt fixing holes to keep the steering all as factory set i suspect it has been mentioned befroe but i though it would be good to share. Just striped the other side another day tomorrow to blast it all that black stuff lotus put on where it is not lifted of its a bug!!!!!er to remove any one know a quick way to remove it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
élan back on the road
andy b
Enthusiast

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 29.10.2016, 00:31

Just read this post and am a little worried ... particularly the "so i have a spare hub and hub casting no problem just change it for the spare".

What you are showing in the photo is the Camber Adjustment Plate. Four different plates were available with offset holes that gave a possibility of seven positions and a variation of just under 1/2° each so the range was 3°in total.
The Castor Adjustment is achieved by 8 x 1 mm shims that sit between the upper ball joint and the wishbones and castor is adjusted by moving them from one side to the other. 1 mm shim going from front to back reduces the castor by about 1/2° as the upright becomes closer to vertical.

If you've stripped the front suspension without realizing what these adjustments are for, or changed the hub carrier, I suggest you need to get the castor and camber checked or it won't handle like a Lotus should...
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby andy b » Sat 29.10.2016, 10:20

lotusflasherman wrote:Just read this post and am a little worried ... particularly the "so i have a spare hub and hub casting no problem just change it for the spare".

What you are showing in the photo is the Camber Adjustment Plate. Four different plates were available with offset holes that gave a possibility of seven positions and a variation of just under 1/2° each so the range was 3°in total.
The Castor Adjustment is achieved by 8 x 1 mm shims that sit between the upper ball joint and the wishbones and castor is adjusted by moving them from one side to the other. 1 mm shim going from front to back reduces the castor by about 1/2° as the upright becomes closer to vertical.

If you've stripped the front suspension without realizing what these adjustments are for, or changed the hub carrier, I suggest you need to get the castor and camber checked or it won't handle like a Lotus should...

Brilliant thank you for the heads up when i noticed these yes i understand caster camber but it has surprised me how lotus have made the élan so adjustable by the smallest amount thats all this is the first time i have had to work on the front end never had any trouble worth talking about its been a great car and i love it but i will admit the manual does not get read of an evening LOL PS I POSTED THIS AS NOT EVERYONE WILL NOTICE THESE AND IT IS EASY TO PUT THEM ON BACKWARDS we all have differing levels of experience and i am no expert on M100's myself the forum is brilliant source of knowledge so thank you.
every day is a learning day i have dunlop caster camber gauges here i will get the dust off them.
andy b
élan back on the road
andy b
Enthusiast

Postby andy b » Sat 29.10.2016, 16:12

just blasted the track control arm and it has a hole under where the tubular one bolts on got to blast another one and fit it thank god for spare parts in the shed spares for these things are a little expensive and you have to travel a good distance normally it is strange to me that the car is still very cheep for what it is but the spares are horrendous i suppose we are suffering for lotus not having any available for us. still all part of the challenge LOL.
andy b
élan back on the road
andy b
Enthusiast

Postby andy b » Sun 30.10.2016, 12:01

andy b wrote:
lotusflasherman wrote:Just read this post and am a little worried ... particularly the "so i have a spare hub and hub casting no problem just change it for the spare".

All back together now checked and all is good with the world the hub carrier is a forging i suspect and jig drilled so i would assume it is a fairly safe thing to change the adjustment would be for all the fabricated bits inc the chassis pick up points just a thought but i could be wrong just having a discussion about it not criticising your comments. they were most welcome and acted upon
andy b
élan back on the road
andy b
Enthusiast

Return to Suspension and Brakes