H6 JWL.....Front wheel arch and oil pipe chaffing

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

H6 JWL.....Front wheel arch and oil pipe chaffing

Postby Majicjohn » Mon 31.10.2016, 16:05

Hi bought H6 JWL in the summer, generally giving her TLC and intend to respray over winter. As it appears that a few members have knowledge of this car I would be happy for any comments or history Got to bottom of cooling issue and will be replacing rad.

As part of paint prep I removed o/s/f wheel arch liner to find fairly large area of chaffing with the tyre and also damage to the oil cooler pipe. It's running standard wheels and tyres. Measuring from the floor to the top of the wheel arch I have a dimension of 620 mm.

Would welcome any comment also would love to know more on how to attach photos.
Majicjohn
Sadly departed but never forgotten

Re: H6 JWL.....Front wheel arch and oil pipe chaffing

Postby Steve A » Mon 31.10.2016, 17:43

Majicjohn wrote:Hi bought H6 JWL in the summer, generally giving her TLC and intend to respray over winter. As it appears that a few members have knowledge of this car I would be happy for any comments or history Got to bottom of cooling issue and will be replacing rad.

As part of paint prep I removed o/s/f wheel arch liner to find fairly large area of chaffing with the tyre and also damage to the oil cooler pipe. It's running standard wheels and tyres. Measuring from the floor to the top of the wheel arch I have a dimension of 620 mm.

Would welcome any comment also would love to know more on how to attach photos.

First things first get your photo's on photo bucket then we'll go from there.
Either the wheel isn't where it should be :? or the pipe's are routed where there not suppose to be, maybe :wink:
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 31.10.2016, 18:00

Hi John

Posting photos info' here www.lotuselancentral.com/gallery/attach.htm though I think 1024 x 768 can now go in post as long as it's below 256kb. Phones shoot in 16:9 ratio so I usually resize to 1024 x 576 using Photoshop and reduce the resolution to get the file size down.

bih oct 2.jpg

Oil Cooler Pipe - there was a Service Bulletin Issued 7/12/92 about routing of oil cooler pipes. Seems they are held clear by tightening unions and if somebody slackens them hoses can end up with no clearance...

SB 1992 07 1.JPG

SB 1992 07 2.JPG

Sounds like somebody has not got the hoses right so the liner doesn't sit correctly. I'm running 19" by 7" wide rims and they don't actually rub but keep the dirt off ! I'll know if I get some slack in the bearings :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Majicjohn » Mon 31.10.2016, 23:11

Strangely yours and mine are parked next to each other in that shot. Your ride height is considerably higher than mine. Liner and pipes correctly fitted. I'll post some photos asap
Majicjohn
Sadly departed but never forgotten

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 01.11.2016, 00:45

Majicjohn wrote:Strangely yours and mine are parked next to each other in that shot. Your ride height is considerably higher than mine. Liner and pipes correctly fitted. I'll post some photos asap

That's why I posted it . :lol:
We'll have to compare ride heights next time - think it's an illusion caused by more light going under mine from the car park lighting being further away.

Am I right in thinking I saw Subaru discs on the front of yours ? Just wondering if the wheels are exactly where OE discs would put them. Seem to remember seeing something about using wheel spacers with the Bob Bown conversion, hopefully somebody might enlighten us.... or I can do some measuring tomorrow.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby muley » Tue 01.11.2016, 12:29

Hi

I used to own that car! Did many enjoyable miles in it. It's a sound car - one of the best I've owned..

Can't explain the rubbing, it was all standard and unmolested in my time.

Good luck with it.

Jim
LEC Turbo Nutter
1995 Palacio S2 no 507 : 1991 Aqua Blue SE Honda Jazz 1.3 2006 Ford Focus 2.0 Duratech
muley

Return to Suspension and Brakes