Rear Brake callipers

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Rear Brake callipers

Postby cellaway » Tue 03.01.2017, 17:39

Hi All
A while ago I bought most of Bob Browns brake upgrade, complete front end plus the rear hubs. Now I need to source the rear wheel bearings and the rear callipers. "Hi Spec" say the callipers that Bob specified are no longer available. So I need to know the source or specification of both the bearings and an alternative calliper.

Chris
cellaway
Tinkerer

Re: Rear Brake callipers

Postby Rice crispy » Tue 03.01.2017, 19:15

Pnm do a rear conversion which is based on vw golf calipers. I assume your fronts have hi-specs otherwise you may find the balance is poor. Bearings are available from lots of places have a search on here for the common part number
Rice crispy
God

Postby cellaway » Tue 03.01.2017, 19:58

Hi Rice
Who are Pnm ?
cellaway
Tinkerer

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 03.01.2017, 19:59

I've got the HiSpec 'Ultralite 2' rear calipers that I believe were part of Bob's conversion. Nice 2 pot caliper but the hydraulic handbrake is a nightmare and I believe is the reason they discontinued it. If you see some secondhand ... AVOID.

Use the footbrake and handbrake together and a hydraulic lock occurs in the handbrake module and won't release until the inner bleed nipple and banjo is loosened to release the pressure. I know that but sometimes I get the timing slightly wrong and catch the handbrake partly on when I stop the car rolling off the drive on the footbrake. I then set off with the handbrake partly on by fluid lock and rubbing - after a couple of miles the car starts slowing down as the disc has got hot enough (can be cherry red) to expand and start locking the rear wheel. Always the OSR caliper so have to find somewhere safe to pull up to deal with it and sometimes leave a skidmark down the road! Now done it so often that I'm like a F1 pitstop - as long as I've got the tools on board. :lol:

A lot of people have the PNM rear calipers. They convert a currently available VW single pot sliding pin caliper as a direct replacement for the OE caliper. I believe PNM can supply different brackets to suit whatever discs you put on the hub. They are numerous threads on here somewhere... I'm sure you're get some sound advice from the PNM users before too long...

Meanwhile here's the link to PNM www.pnmengineering.com/lotus-elanm100-brakes.html

By the way... Bob's conversion used Billet 4 front calipers if you ever need parts from HiSpec.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Rambo » Tue 03.01.2017, 20:21

cellaway wrote:Hi Rice
Who are Pnm ?

PNM = PNM Engineering = Pete Musgroves's company based in the Wirral, Merseyside

Do a Google search and you will come up with their website
Last edited by Rambo on Tue 03.01.2017, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Rambo » Tue 03.01.2017, 20:23

Or even click on Phil's link above :oops: :oops:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby cellaway » Wed 04.01.2017, 21:52

Cheers Guys
Thanks for the help

Chris
cellaway
Tinkerer

Postby cellaway » Mon 09.01.2017, 17:24

I bought upgraded discs for the front (Maxpower, I think) before I bought Bob's upgrade and he suggested that I use these on the rear when I bought the rest. The discs are the same size as the originals, just ventilated and drilled. Has anyone else gone this route ?
cellaway
Tinkerer

Return to Suspension and Brakes