Rear Top Link Sleeve

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Rear Top Link Sleeve

Postby par » Wed 25.01.2017, 22:32

Have I lost a sleeve from one of the rear top link mounting bushes? I have removed both rear top links and on one of the links there is a sleeve at the inboard end which reduces the bush diameter down to suit the M12 fixing bolt but on the other link this sleeve appears to be missing:-

I can only assume that I have lost it during removal but dont recall ever noticing the sleeve on the missing side when removed, I have checked all the possible places it could have dropped and rolled to but it must have went to the same place all those dropped parts seem to hide :banghead: . Does anyone know if you can buy these individually anywhere?
par
Fanatic

Re: Rear Top Link Sleeve

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 25.01.2017, 23:07

Part number B100D0049F - Spigot Sleeve-Top Link Bush.

Available from any Lotus dealer as well as SJ Sports Cars. £12.96
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby par » Thu 26.01.2017, 00:00

Thanks BCN :smt023

I did have a search on the SJ site but couldnt find anything that looked like it listed in the rear suspension section for the M100 but now I can search on the part number I can get a return. Annoying as I have only just had a few parts from SJ's this week.
par
Fanatic

Postby Scott J » Thu 26.01.2017, 19:08

newer shinier one that is missing? Kenny Brown fitted the first top wishbone. The newer one 2 years later was fitted by my local who I've lost faith in. So possibly it was never there :shock:
Some people beat Rambo from A to B.
Scott J
The prodigal son

Postby lotusflasherman » Thu 26.01.2017, 21:50

I think it very unlikely it's been run without that sleeve in situ. I reckon that under cornering the top link would move making a noise, it would allow the wheel to move which you'd feel (I hope), and the bolt would impact on the rubber bush steel inner sleeve leaving marks ... can't see any. Being a tube it can roll a long way ... got any drains near where you dismantled it?
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby par » Fri 27.01.2017, 01:22

Scott J wrote:newer shinier one that is missing? Kenny Brown fitted the first top wishbone. The newer one 2 years later was fitted by my local who I've lost faith in. So possibly it was never there :shock:

I am convinced it must have been fitted as I am sure there would have been a knocking noise as Lotusflasherman says and some noticeable movement, it is just such a large part to not notice dropping out at the time and I havent been able to find it. Saying that I still havent found the locking wheel nut key I misplaced after using in the garage 10 years ago either :oops:
par
Fanatic

Postby Tuga2112 » Fri 03.12.2021, 17:40

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:Part number B100D0049F - Spigot Sleeve-Top Link Bush.

Available from any Lotus dealer as well as SJ Sports Cars. £12.96

just an update for anyone looking for this part in the future,
Ive called SJs asking for this part since its no longer in the website and they no longer have it. aparently has not been available since 2018.

and... yes im actually in the exact position par was... hoping the sleeve rolled underneath something in the garage

If Anyone can think of other places to check (checked SJS, kelvedon, paul matty, PMN, Brit Car Nut's webpage and ebay ) please let me know. Buying the replacement part A100D0081F may be an option, but i am pretty sure the other sleeve in the rear hub assembly is seized in place, which would in turn cause me further aggravation trying to put the car back together.
Still learning
Youtube Channel @Tuga2112 M100 repair videos
Tuga2112
God

Postby M100-NC » Sat 04.12.2021, 13:26

Part number A100D0081F is the sleeeve for the "outer end" of the link.

The ID and OD are the same as B100D0049F - the sleeve for the "inner end" of the link.

It too is obsolete (NLS), but SJs is showing stock.

If you grab one of those, you should be able to get someone to cut it to the correct length and use it to solve your problem.

JC
I am in the US and have a LARGE collection of M100 parts available for sale, both new and used.
M100-NC
Tinkerer

Postby M100-NC » Sat 04.12.2021, 20:26

Tuga,

The inner sleeve A100D0081F has the same ID and OD as B100D0049F however, it is 80mm long instead of 37mm.

100D0081 is also discontinued but SJs still has it listed on their web site.

If you can get one of those, you can get it cut to the correct length and all should be good.

If SJs doesn't have any, my inventory list says I have 3 on the shelf. It would be a lot cheaper and faster if you can get one in the UK.

JC
I am in the US and have a LARGE collection of M100 parts available for sale, both new and used.
M100-NC
Tinkerer

Postby dapinky » Sat 04.12.2021, 21:11

Whilst getting the one John mentions and cutting it down to make 2 of the ones you need is a simple idea, I can't help but think that the "bush" "Sleeve" or whatever it should be called is simply a steel tube at the end of the day.

Without taking mine apart I don't know the sizes we're talking about, but getting a length of 12mm I/D steel tube of a suitable wall thickness isn't a difficult thing, and I would suspect that Lotus used a 'standard' sort of size tubing.....

.... for example, a wall thickness of 1.5mm (giving an O/D of 15mm) will cost a tenner for 200mm on ebay - in stainless steel.... with plenty of alternative sizes and steel types available if you want to look.

So a bit of time to measure the diameters of the 'other' end sleeve will tell you what you need to look for.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Return to Suspension and Brakes