Front Axel Hub nut

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Front Axel Hub nut

Postby lotusrepair » Thu 02.03.2017, 02:50

Search is not working and I can't find the info. I know many times this has been discussed but is there an aftermarket hub nut? part #?

I try to search for hub and get nothing on the site. 3 letter words do not see to work with the search. So hub or nut will not work.

The front suspension is off for repairs and I need new axle nuts.
lotusrepair
Enthusiast

Re: Front Axel Hub nut

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 02.03.2017, 05:00

First, to search for a 3 letter word or portion, add an * as the 4th character and the search will work.

The OEM nuts (A100R6002F) are still available for £10.74 from Lotus UK and dealers like SJ's.

I found the nuts for a Subaru driveshaft to hub are the same thread and similar size and heft. Try Dorman 615-160

Rock Auto has them as do several sellers on eBay.

In a pinch, you could re-use the existing nuts but need to swap them to the opposite sides so the odds of the flattened area to line up again is unlikely - so you can peen a fresh area.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby dapinky » Thu 02.03.2017, 10:25

They are the same as an Elise, Citroen, Peugeot, some VW, and a fair few Vauxhalls (GM).

In the UK they cost about £2-£3 each (delivered) so I would expect you to be able to get them in USA quite easily.

It possibly wouldn't be worth the postage costs, but if you get stuck, I'll post you one (or more!) over. (or if there is no immediate need, I can get one to USA on 20th April - but it will be the long way round the world - via Cairo, Bangkok, Cambodia, Japan, LA :D )
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 02.03.2017, 11:52

Unfortunately, none of those cars are common over here. GM cars uses different sizes on their axles/hubs for some strange reason but the Subaru nuts are a good substitute and easy enough to find for under $10.00 each. Shipping across the country is still a nightmare with minimum delays and slow transport. Getting the same part from a DIY store locally is quite expensive - if they even have them. That is why RockAuto is so popular - if you can wait 5+ days.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby dapinky » Thu 02.03.2017, 13:35

J & R driveshafts will post worldwide from UK......

I have just put it in to get a rough price, and they want £1.99 for the nut, with £2.49 postage to USA.

They are the ones I used on my car, and haven't gone wrong, so I can recommend them!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOTUS-ELISE-1 ... 27cf655c7d
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Simon_P » Fri 03.03.2017, 20:49

It's a common thread but only the land-rover nut has the wide flange.
Simon_P
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Fri 03.03.2017, 21:18

Simon_P wrote:It's a common thread but only the land-rover nut has the wide flange.

er .. No. Got couple on my shelf and can't tell if they are from Elan or Subaru as they are exactly the same... I'm quite happy to reuse them as long as when correctly torqued there's a bit of fresh metal to stake, if not I'll try another...
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby dapinky » Fri 03.03.2017, 23:46

Mine are listed for the Elise, but identical to the OE Elan ones....... also X-ref to Citroen/Peugeot and a few others...... (all with the same part numbers).
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby lotusrepair » Sat 04.03.2017, 01:15

Simon_P wrote:It's a common thread but only the land-rover nut has the wide flange.

What land rover nut?
lotusrepair
Enthusiast

Postby Simon_P » Sat 04.03.2017, 15:29

Sorry my mistake the Landrover ones are bigger diameter 24mm thread.

The correct nut has a flange that is wider than the points of the hex - The generic ones have a flange the same diameter as the points of the hex.

Generic
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOTUS-ELISE-1 ... XQbBVRCmWr

Correct
https://www.sjsportscars.co.uk/index.php?mod=10
Simon_P
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 04.03.2017, 21:07

The Dorman nut picture is more like the OEM:

Dorman Nut2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 04.03.2017, 23:02

Simon_P wrote:The correct nut has a flange that is wider than the points of the hex - The generic ones have a flange the same diameter as the points of the hex.

Useful info' Simon. :clap:

subaru hubnut.jpg

Subaru OE is same as Elan with wide flange but a lot on ebay say "Fit Subaru" but flange is again no wider than the points..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby dapinky » Sun 05.03.2017, 13:47

I wonder if they are just using a 'generic' photo for some listings, as the ones I got from J & R have the slightly-wider diameter flange, as per the OE ones I removed.....
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Return to Suspension and Brakes