Rear Brake Calipers

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Rear Brake Calipers

Postby hocombewood » Fri 17.03.2017, 17:51

Hi All !
I havent been on this forum for several years. about 5 years ago I was following a thread on some alternate brake calipers and there was a bracket too which one of the members had made up for the handbrake. I bought the caliupers, to fit myself, but managed to free off the brakes, but finally now after the last two MOt I have to accept that I need new rear calipers. Id like to use these ones I bought in 2011 or so, but I cant find the thread now on here ? can anyone please point me to it. I seem to remember a meembers name like Aldrigas ? had designed the conversion, but I could be wrong, thanks for all help.
hocombewood

Re: Rear Brake Calipers

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 17.03.2017, 18:19

Lotus offers a corrected cable for the caliper with the odd lever: A100J6114S

They are £15.70 and you would have to replace the whole cable and re-adjust your hand brake lever, but probably easier than getting your lever(s) cut apart and the welding the old end on the new stub.

Algirdas no longer has any levers available.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Saltire » Fri 17.03.2017, 18:29

The member might have been Algirdas.

And this could be the thread in question.

However, I believe the preferred option these days is the PNM Engineering one.

Hope this helps.
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
Mrs Saltire’s 2022 Mini Countryman Cooper S
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby hocombewood » Sun 19.03.2017, 17:44

Yes thats, it, thanks, does anyone have any drawings of the modified levers, I could get some made up at work.

here's hoping.

rgds
hocombewood

Postby hocombewood » Sun 19.03.2017, 19:33

Hi, I think I have had a memory wipe, I now recall I bought the dormal calipers and handbrake levers from algridas. but now on opening the boxes 8 years later, I need some other parts on the dorman calipers.

I have the bots in the photos and the bit I dont have i've highlighted in yellow from the dorman datasheet. does anyone know if I could still get these bits highlighted ?

thanks in advance to all who view this reply.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hocombewood

Postby hocombewood » Sun 19.03.2017, 19:46

I see the PNMkit is only £400 for new rear calipers, I think I have my solution. I'll call them tomorrow.
hocombewood

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 19.03.2017, 20:05

What you have highlighted are the brake pads and some retaining bits. That is a generic picture and you don't even use most of them. You should have all of the parts you need still on the car. Calipers rarely arrive with brake pads, but you can get them from your local DIY store or maybe someone can suggest an affordable source for you.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby dapinky » Sun 19.03.2017, 21:48

There are enough bits in your photo above - you just need brake pads (which are the same as the OE callipers).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Return to Suspension and Brakes