bigg red brake seals

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

bigg red brake seals

Postby peter123 » Wed 31.05.2017, 19:19

I have just purchased a front brake caliper repair kit from Bigg Red, good service and good quality seals,very impressed.
http://www.biggred.co.uk/brakecaliperre ... _brk204812
peter123
Tinkerer

Re: bigg red brake seals

Postby dapinky » Wed 31.05.2017, 21:09

Peter,

The kit you link to is for a 48mm piston.....

.... I have always found that the Elan has a 52mm piston???? (Astra F GTE 2.0)

When I have just put my elan registration into Bigg Red it does say this is the correct one, but if you look on the piston page it offers a 52mm one for the same reg number.

Please ensure that you measure yours before having it off the road waiting for any parts which may be wrong.

It's a bit of a shame as that kit has all the bits for the sliders as well, wheras the Astra F ones only have the seals (and slider pins which are different to the elan).

SJ sportscars offer the correct seals for about £12 a set (both calipers) but don't include the slider rubbers.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

i

Postby peter123 » Wed 31.05.2017, 21:32

I will have to have another look at them,i didn't put my reg in i used the manual input option and it only listed the one set,how did you find the piston size? it doesn't give any details when i view that kit? :?
peter123
Tinkerer

Postby dapinky » Wed 31.05.2017, 22:04

On the spec page for the seals it says that it fits a 48mm piston, but on the piston spec page it states that it is a 52mm piston....

..... I know that I was confused a few years ago when i did my first set, but when I measured the piston it was 52mm (I got the seals from a local motor factor, and since then, from SJ's)
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby peter123 » Wed 31.05.2017, 22:16

Thanks for that,my pistons are 52mm,i have e mailed bigg red to confirm the size of the piston seals in the kit,hopefully if they are 48mm they can swap them for the 52mm as the seals seem to be good quality compared to some of the cheaper ones i have seen.
peter123
Tinkerer

Postby dapinky » Wed 31.05.2017, 22:31

If you look at their ebay listing for the paert, it is on there that they are for the 48mm piston http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Astr ... 1390067528 ......

..... I can only presume that the "4812" bit of the part number is a reference to the 48mm size (12mm thick???), but I have nowt to back up that summission.
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby peter123 » Thu 01.06.2017, 13:11

I have contacted bigg red,and you are right Dave it is the wrong kit,the correct kit is brk205201,they are going to exchange them for the kit they sent me,they admitted the website doesn't always give the correct part number,which isn't great. :shock:
peter123
Tinkerer

Return to Suspension and Brakes