Torque for rear suspension

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Torque for rear suspension

Postby Bern » Sun 09.07.2017, 14:51

Hi All,

Can anybody let me know the torque settings for the top of the rear strut, both the small nuts that join it to the car and the larger nut that's on the top of the strut?

And also the anti-roll bar ball joint (top and bottom) and drop links.

Many thanks :-)

Cheers,

Bern.
'90 Elan SE
'95 MGF
'16 Renault Zoe
'03 VW Transporter
'72 Land Rover 88
'80ish Kubota B5100E
Bern
Fanatic

Re: Torque for rear suspension

Postby dapinky » Sun 09.07.2017, 16:23

Bern,

All the numbers are as per the WM (but for convenience for me - and anyone who finds it useful) I have taken snippets from the relevant books/chapters and created the below document.

The figures in red boxes are for if you use stainless steel bolts, as they have different 'stretch' characteristics to HT steel bolts {but if you use them, make sure that they have the right tensile rating, ie, A4~80, NOT ~70 rating - - this corresponds to an HT 8.8 strength}

suspension settings.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Bern » Sun 09.07.2017, 20:54

That's brilliant, many thanks Dave.

Also answers my next question about the ride height.

And, what's more, I weigh 74kg and there's 1/2 tank of fuel in it. The only problem is going to be measuring it while I am sat in it!

I've replaced the top arm bushes (and the arm itself), springs, shocks, ARB balljoints and drop links - and what a huge difference it's made, I knew it should drive better than it did. Even more surprising is that I had no seized bolts and so did it all really quite quickly.

I'm a happy camper :-)
'90 Elan SE
'95 MGF
'16 Renault Zoe
'03 VW Transporter
'72 Land Rover 88
'80ish Kubota B5100E
Bern
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Sun 09.07.2017, 21:01

Bern wrote:The only problem is going to be measuring it while I am sat in it!

I replicated 75Kg with 3 bags of sand. (and then added another bag as it seems pointless setting it up for 75Kg when I'm never likely to ever get down to that weight).

I just cut 4 lengths of 2"x1" wood to the correct length, placed them under the car at the right points, and wound the shocks down until they just touched all 4... I suppose you could sit in and use a mirror, but unless you have very long tripple-jointed arms you won't be able to adjust anything :D
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Return to Suspension and Brakes