Fitting new front springs.......

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Fitting new front springs.......

Postby simonbuk » Tue 11.07.2017, 19:28

I've purchased some new front springs as i believe mine have sagged over time.

How easy is it to fit them ?

Can i remove the spring without completely removing the damper ? Meaning if i have disconnected the top can i slide the spring off the top and the new one back on ? Is there enough space inside the wheel arch to do this ?

I've purchased the rubber seats that go at the top of the springs - is there anything else i'm going to find i should have purchased before i start ?!

The last spring compressors i bought were downright dangerous and s**t so i need to buy another pair. Taking this into account shall i just pay somebody to do it ?!
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, currently River Thames........

Re: Fitting new front springs.......

Postby Steve_P » Tue 11.07.2017, 19:50

It's quite a while since I changed mine, but I think you will need to remove the complete damper and spring assembly. Seem to remember that the upper wishbone
bolts at the hub end also need to be removed (?) Hopefully someone with a better memory than me can offer some advice, I'd also consult the workshop manual :D
Don't remember it being too difficult a task, certainly not in cambelt change territory :shock:

If you are on original springs they will have sagged a lot! I changed front and rear to Lotus replacements at the same time and the car looked like it was on stilts when
they were first fitted :lol: Good luck.
Steve_P
Fanatic

Postby alan e » Tue 11.07.2017, 20:32

Its all on you tube how to change the springs.
[color=#FFBFFF]Black 1992 M100
2010 black evora
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
MG ZS EV
alan e
God

Postby simonbuk » Tue 11.07.2017, 20:35

I couldn't see a video on just changing the springs ? It was all muddled up in taking the whole front suspension assembly ?

Off to look again......

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Postby alan e » Tue 11.07.2017, 20:42

You have to take the damper and spring off complete but it also shows you how to mark the spring holder top and bottom to refit the new spring,
2010 black evora
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
MG ZS EV
alan e
God

Postby simonbuk » Tue 11.07.2017, 20:54

Ok cheers. Out of interest why do you have to mark it ? Surely the spring can turn slightly when the car gets bounced a up and down ?

simonbuk
God

Postby alan e » Tue 11.07.2017, 20:57

Check 10 mins into removing the front suspension and drive shaft
2010 black evora
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
MG ZS EV
alan e
God

Postby simonbuk » Tue 11.07.2017, 21:09

Brilliant thanks. So you have to remove the upper wishbone from the ball joint first and then undo the jokes.

It all sounds so, so, easy........!!

simonbuk
God

Postby Rambo » Tue 11.07.2017, 21:10

Just make sure you haven't got the Fed. springs otherwise you will be on stilts :lol:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Fredjohn » Tue 11.07.2017, 21:43

simonbuk wrote:Brilliant thanks. So you have to remove the upper wishbone from the ball joint first and then undo the jokes.

It all sounds so, so, easy........!!

I'd remove the yokes if I were you!! You'll probably need a sense of humour by the time you've finished! You won't be able to get at the yoke bolts with the wishbones in situ.

Just be careful to count the fitment of the 8 castor shims either side of the upper ball joint and put them back in the same quantity: eg 4/4 or 5/3 or 3/5 or 6/2 or 2/6 etc etc. ALSO note the position of the 2 thick camber shims on the inward bolt on the wish-bones/upper ball joint: there is a notch on the edge which will either be inwards or outwards as required. Again replace them in the same orientation: both shims will be the same direction.

Getting at the top nuts to remove the damper is also quite awkward: you'll need a slim socket, or maybe just open up the grommetted holes slightly.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
MB E250 CDi coupe 2013
Boardman Endurance SLR 9.4 disc 2018
Rapido 746 2010
Lotus Evija Danish edition
Fredjohn
God

Postby simonbuk » Tue 11.07.2017, 21:49

Thanks for all this.

I'm slowly getting put off this.......and it's pissing down outside !

I'll see what tomorrow brings !!

simonbuk
God

Postby dapinky » Tue 11.07.2017, 22:01

Simon,

Don't be put off - it's actually a straightforward job.... but with a few things to make it difficult if you do things in the wrong order - hence all the above advice :D

Personally, I like to loosen the top 3 bolts first, whilst the car is still on the ground - a 13mm socket from a 3/8" set on a short extension do the job nicely. Remember to keep the rubber grommits safe, and when you finally remove the suspension unit, retain the washers and nuts from the top mounting - otherwise they can fall down between the clamshell and other bits and get lost.

Then jack up the car, remove the road wheel and check that the ball joint bolts will loosen (if you decide to take that bit apart - not totally necessary, but can make life easier).

If you just remove the bottom bolt (through the shock) it is possible to wiggle the unit inboard at the bottom and drop it down enough to clear the rest of the stuff in the way and manoevre it out - but it is far easier to remove the 2 yokes as the driveshaft can get in the way otherwise.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby simonbuk » Sun 16.07.2017, 16:15

Well I failed miserably - but kept my cool/sanity.

It was quite apparent that bolt heads were going to change shape and couldn't get an Allen key into one of the bolt heads so I knew things were only going to get worse !!

Going to give my mechanic some money instead...........

simonbuk
God

Return to Suspension and Brakes