alternative OE rear brake calipers with correct casting

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

alternative OE rear brake calipers with correct casting

Postby lotustonybassplayer » Thu 13.07.2017, 19:30

I recently purchased these with the front calipers that i found on rockauto. they cost $55 each plus posting and vat roughly £155 for both delivered to blighty. They have the correct casting unlike the dorman version and have a completely different sliding pin system that actually glides. I have only dry fitted them as per pics (hopefully) Thoughts comments :?: The reason I have not fully fitted them is i have just freed off the original calipers and my friendly mot man is going to let use the rollers to get some figures and make sure the proportion valves are working.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lotustonybassplayer
Fanatic

Re: alternative OE rear brake calipers with correct casting

Postby simonbuk » Thu 13.07.2017, 20:30

Sounds interesting - good work !!
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, currently River Thames........

Postby dapinky » Thu 13.07.2017, 23:53

Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, or something else???
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 14.07.2017, 02:37

88-90 Buick Regal, 88 Cutlass Supreme and 88 Pontiac Grand Prix all with the small engine.

According to the pictures, they even have the correct hand brake levers on both calipers. They are identified by the added "Brake Stop" included notation.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby lotustonybassplayer » Fri 14.07.2017, 06:34

Buick regal 1989 3.1 v6 When i was looking these calipers were listed with emergency stop on the RA site. They did not have many left, but they were not a close out item so they maybe restocking them ?. But they seemed to be available from other suppliers in the states. I'm sure John will be able to find out :)
lotustonybassplayer
Fanatic

Postby muley » Fri 14.07.2017, 08:43

Extremely interesting post.

Curiously, the Cardone remanufactured or new version appears a lot on UK eBay. If they are as pictured with the cast in stop we're away laughing.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/A1-Cardone-18-4 ... Ciid%253A4

Jim
LEC Turbo Nutter
1995 Palacio S2 no 507 : 1991 Aqua Blue SE Honda Jazz 1.3 2006 Ford Focus 2.0 Duratech
muley

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 14.07.2017, 13:55

I think that although not listed as a close out, they are at their "end of life". Most parts from that era are now showing up as low stock or close out and at reduced prices to clear. RA used to send me notices of "vehicle parts" closeouts, but I don't get them any more, I just find the parts have very low prices compared to others.

The listings on RA are not consistent and each manufacturer is prone to use a generic picture.

Some of the Buick listings just say rear caliper while others say with 4 wheel disc brakes. I doubt Buick used drum brakes on the front and disc on the rears...

Ironically, some show the same calipers for the 2.8L and the 3.1L while other rebuilders don't.

The ones Tony ordered were already sold out, so I ordered a set of the cheap ones even though the picture has different sliders. There were a few of those available and they also included the brake stop in the description.

Actually, the 141.62529 shows 1 available. I believe on the US cars they were all "rear mounted" calipers so their left is our right, so when ordering one caliper, make sure you are ordering the one you want.

I will let everyone know if the calipers I ordered will work.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Fri 14.07.2017, 14:51

lotustonybassplayer wrote:... have a completely different sliding pin system that actually glides. .

Never had a problem with OE calipers not sliding but was interested to see what the difference was ... looking at my spare OE caliper (same as shown on Jim's link to Cardone on ebay) I see the OE sliding tube boot is a big bellows that keeps the tubes covered whilst the Centric appears to have a seal to the caliper body that leaves the tube exposed. I don't see that as an improvement as it will probably need more frequent cleaning up and re-greasing than the OE version. Just a thought...
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 14.07.2017, 15:48

I believe Jim stated that the calipers have a different sliding pin system that now looks like they use a plastic sleeve (Teflon/Nylon or similar) and a low-rust or no-rust pin.

Remember, GM had the same issues with caliper seizing like we do, but GM eventually changed the sliders to end that problem.

The ones I ordered also have the different pin/bushing design. More important is the fact that the casting is the same so reverting to original pins and seals should be possible. Those pin kits are as low as $1.57 per side up to $10.22.
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Fri 14.07.2017, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby lotustonybassplayer » Fri 14.07.2017, 15:54

mine were seized solid all the boots were intact. I had to drift them out. Anyway for $2.00 :shock: i bought this anti seize kit ( PIC BELOW) from RA which includes the 4 sliders plus inserts the boots, and the tool to drift them into the caliper body and the silicon grease :-D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lotustonybassplayer
Fanatic

Postby lotustonybassplayer » Fri 14.07.2017, 15:56

You beat me to it John :-D
Last edited by lotustonybassplayer on Fri 14.07.2017, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
lotustonybassplayer
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 14.07.2017, 15:59

Tony: Check closely. The sleeve kit you show is designed to press a brass bushing into the ears of the caliper and includes a thinner (OD) pin to allow for the now smaller ID. I don't believe they expect anyone to rebore the caliper ears to accept the bushings.

This isn't a problem when first done, but getting replacement pins later on will be a pain as the original ones are hard and can't be turned on a lathe - they would have to be ground to size.

I have a few of those kits and was always too lazy to measure the pins to verify it was a DIY patch and didn't require enlarging the bore of the caliper ears. I will get around to that soon and update this post (I need to dig them out of a huge box of brake parts).
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby lotustonybassplayer » Fri 14.07.2017, 16:08

Hi John to be honest now i freed mine off i'm not sure if i will do the conversion, and having sourced the other calipers .its just for the price of the kit i was curious to see what it was like + it was cheaper than just buying some silicon grease anyway :-D
lotustonybassplayer
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 14.07.2017, 16:14

It would be good if the pins were the stock OD, then you would have a spare set. I will measure...
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby texas2201 » Tue 08.05.2018, 12:25

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:I think that although not listed as a close out, they are at their "end of life". Most parts from that era are now showing up as low stock or close out and at reduced prices to clear. RA used to send me notices of "vehicle parts" closeouts, but I don't get them any more, I just find the parts have very low prices compared to others.

The listings on RA are not consistent and each manufacturer is prone to use a generic picture.

Some of the Buick listings just say rear caliper while others say with 4 wheel disc brakes. I doubt Buick used drum brakes on the front and disc on the rears...

Ironically, some show the same calipers for the 2.8L and the 3.1L while other rebuilders don't.

The ones Tony ordered were already sold out, so I ordered a set of the cheap ones even though the picture has different sliders. There were a few of those available and they also included the brake stop in the description.

Actually, the 141.62529 shows 1 available. I believe on the US cars they were all "rear mounted" calipers so their left is our right, so when ordering one caliper, make sure you are ordering the one you want.

I will let everyone know if the calipers I ordered will work.

did they work? I am about to order one
"brakes are no good - they just slow you down" Fangio :-)
texas2201
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Tue 08.05.2018, 13:19

Are you talking about a caliper or the slider kit?
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby texas2201 » Tue 08.05.2018, 14:39

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:Are you talking about a caliper or the slider kit?

caliper
texas2201
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Tue 08.05.2018, 15:37

I got the equivalent of the 14162527/14162529 type calipers and they look(ed) to be a good solution. They are currently taking space on my spare parts shelves.

14162527/14162529 are the only ones with the "emergency brake stop" still available and they are marked as LEFT SIDE and RIGHT SIDE. I am fairly certain that the '89 Buick Regal had the calipers mounted at the REAR (trailing side) of the brake disc. The M100 has them mounted on the FRONT (leading side) so the ones marked LEFT would be the M100's RIGHT and vice/versa.

Buying them in pairs, this doesn't create a problem, you just install them correctly but if you are looking to buy just one side, then look carefully to make sure you are getting the M100 side vs the Buick side. (I hope this makes sense)

The 14162529/14162529 calipers use a 35mm piston which is 1 3/8inches
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby texas2201 » Tue 08.05.2018, 16:00

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:I got the equivalent of the 14162527/14162529 type calipers and they look(ed) to be a good solution. They are currently taking space on my spare parts shelves.

14162527/14162529 are the only ones with the "emergency brake stop" still available and they are marked as LEFT SIDE and RIGHT SIDE. I am fairly certain that the '89 Buick Regal had the calipers mounted at the REAR (trailing side) of the brake disc. The M100 has them mounted on the FRONT (leading side) so the ones marked LEFT would be the M100's RIGHT and vice/versa.

Buying them in pairs, this doesn't create a problem, you just install them correctly but if you are looking to buy just one side, then look carefully to make sure you are getting the M100 side vs the Buick side. (I hope this makes sense)

The 14162529/14162529 calipers use a 35mm piston which is 1 3/8inches

Thanks John - it makes perfect sense - I will order a left one for my right side cheers Martin
texas2201
God

Postby dolmerob » Fri 18.05.2018, 08:48

Hey OP, are you done installing those calipers? How's their quality and performance?
dolmerob

Return to Suspension and Brakes