Lowering the M100

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Lowering the M100

Postby gtr_gtti » Thu 03.08.2017, 21:42

Hi,

This might sound weird or awkward but are there any lowering springs available in the market for the M100? I've been searching high and low but only gotten to either the Nitrons or the GAZ kit and that's without the springs! Please lead me the correct direction? Thanks
gtr_gtti

Re: Lowering the M100

Postby Artaban » Fri 04.08.2017, 20:02

My wife's just divorced me because I wouldn't open the car door for her!
To be fair I panicked and swam straight for the surface.
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby Steve A » Fri 04.08.2017, 20:59

:? It depends on how much you value your sump :lol:
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby muley » Sat 05.08.2017, 00:09

...and/or exhaust..
LEC Turbo Nutter
1995 Palacio S2 no 507 : 1991 Aqua Blue SE Honda Jazz 1.3 2006 Ford Focus 2.0 Duratech
muley

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 05.08.2017, 01:51

Sounds very weird ... can't think why you'd want to restrict the performance of your car by doing that but I know somebody who might sell you some 'lowering springs' ... :lol:
springs.jpg

He's just fitted new springs to get his ride height back to spec', like mine, so he can 'lean on the outside wheel' at speed without hitting the bump stops and 'skittering' across the road ...
I'm sure he'd be happy to sell them to you, if he hasn't already thrown them out. .. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby simonbuk » Sat 05.08.2017, 07:51

I'll have some front lowering springs available soon like the ones above :wink:

Value my sump/exhaust/splitter too much !!
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, currently River Thames........

Postby gtr_gtti » Sun 06.08.2017, 08:58

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies. I am in Singapore, where there are no race tracks, no windy mountain roads, and no bumpy roads. What we have is traffic jams, loads of speed cam and hidden cam, traffic lights, and road monitoring cams. So since the car is going to be posing for so many cams, I think the priority would be to look good since I cant go good anyway.

So for the issue of oil pan and front lip, actually my plan is to fit up slightly oversized tires, 215/45R17, thus the car would be sitting even taller. Would be good to have a set of lowering springs to bring the height down a little, to slightly lower than stock. My plans is to go for a little "stance" look but not the dumb type of stance. The car will only be driven very occasionally (once a month?) to attend meetups and to be a display car for shows. So my intent is to build a show car (at least looking good from the outside that is)

I drove the car yesterday at 3am for a "spirited" drive and totally lost confidence with the suspension. its too soft, rolls so much, squats and dips as much too. a far cry from my other cars in handling department. I suspect non original springs were used (I could fit my fist between the wheel arch and tires). So its a definite call for change. I heard SJS offers a 20% uprated springs, any idea if they have any lowering effect for the car?

Thanks
gtr_gtti

Postby simonbuk » Sun 06.08.2017, 09:13

I think the only way would be to buy a set of fully adjustable dampers and then alter them to lower the car. Not sure what it does to the spring when it is squashed up a bit though ?

You can buy a set of Protech and Gaz fully adjustable dampers - maybe AVO's too ?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Sun 06.08.2017, 11:57

Simon, it's only the weight of the car that squashes the spring. Ride height is adjusted by moving the bottom spring seat on the lower part of the damper so car sits higher or lower w.r.t. ground.

gtr_gtti, I run on 205/40ZR17 Toyo Proxes on 7" wide BBS wheels. There is no significant change in ride height as diameter only increases by 1.6% according to information I used ... tyre info , but I think they look much better.
Peter Stevens, the designer, has commented that he designed the M100 for bigger wheels than Lotus fitted and disliked the 15" wheels on the UK cars.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby simonbuk » Sun 06.08.2017, 13:17

Yes but if you wind the platform up surely you must squash the spring at the same time ? It can't stay the same length ?

simonbuk
God

Postby dapinky » Sun 06.08.2017, 15:19

simonbuk wrote:Yes but if you wind the platform up surely you must squash the spring at the same time ? It can't stay the same length ?

Only if the shock absorber is at full stretch..... if that is the case, then you will have a rubbish ride as there will be no movement (rebound) in the suspension.

Under normal conditions (car on it's wheels, no cornering load) the shock will be compressed to some extent and the weight acting on the shock will settle at whatever height the spring length/rate dictates - by moving the bottom mount of the spring up or down it will move the car height accordingly.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby gtr_gtti » Sun 06.08.2017, 18:47

Thanks for the inputs guys. Adjustable coilovers generally extends or contracts the shock absorber to vay the height of the car whilst keeping the springs sufficiently compressed. There are of course instances where the springs are too short and mismatched, and this is where the helper springs would come into play. which is meant to keep the shorter springs in position.

I browsed thru AVO's website and found they sell a variety of springs in accordance to internal diameter, spring rate in lbs, and the lengths. We in fact could experiment by playing around with a 30% increased rate, while having 4" shorter springs fitted up to our original absorbers, in theory this could lower the car by approx. 2" but could also help in terms of less body roll in corners.
http://www.avouk.com/Downloads/AVO%20PR ... 202017.pdf

Does any one have the specs and dimensions of the stock elan se springs?

Lovin this forum
gtr_gtti

Postby dapinky » Sun 06.08.2017, 18:55

I don't have the specs of the springs (but I seem to remember a few years ago this was looked into by someone looking to get them remade - it never happened though!).

However, I am running AVOs with Standard lotus springs (new a few years ago). The car is set to OE ride height, and there is enough 'spare' thread on the shocks to drop it by about 40mm, or raise it by 100mm.

As such, if you were thinking of pure looks over performance, a spring which is 50mm shorter, but the same rate, should give more than enough adjustment for your needs without changing the handling (obviously, a higher spring rate may be better if you find the ride too 'soft' - but I'd use standard rate springs, and then turn the shocks up a click or 2 if you need to).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby gtr_gtti » Sun 06.08.2017, 20:34

Hi Dave

I might be too demanding in terms of the suspension stiffness, probably the lotus came about to me as the most comfortable sports car I ever owned? LOL... well, let me explain, I used to own an exige which is the last word for comfort but the best car I ever owned. I currently own a classic mini with spax adjustable suspension, Betone X1/9 with vickauto adjustable coilover kit, and I also have accord euro R with koni/eibach setup.

So with the stock car being so wobbly and rolling so badly (maybe it was acceptable in 1990-1995), even if its not for looks, I would still need the car to handle properly to attack any corners thrown at it.

I guess I might commit to a set of GAZ adjustables instead of trying to hunt for springs.... any idea how much a full set would set me back for?
gtr_gtti

Postby dapinky » Sun 06.08.2017, 20:55

Unfortunately I have no idea of current pricing..... I got my AVOS from a forum member who had upgraded to Nitrons, and then I got them rebuilt at the factory.

Fo GAZ, I'd try South West Lotus - they advertise them and are experienced at sending international, so know their way round the VAT exemption.
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby chrisP » Thu 24.08.2017, 11:43

Or you could go for the NItrons with uprated spring rates, which would mean you might be able to lower the car slightly and still give the sump, splitter and exhaust a fighting chance. I got bored with the front of my car grounding out on the standard suspension, so went for this option with standard ride height.
Chris

If only Lotus had communicated with the company making the body moulds - the body would have been smaller and the gaps in the wheel arches less!!! :bonk:
chrisP
Fanatic

Return to Suspension and Brakes