Master cylinder

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Master cylinder

Postby cellaway » Sat 19.08.2017, 13:46

I've just changed the standard rear calipers and discs for PNM. The front have hispec 4 pots and bigger discs. Bleeding the traditional way doesn't appear to give me enough pressure. The brakes work fine but do feel "soft" , I'm going to bleed the system yet again but if the pressure doesn't improve I feel I should be looking at the master cylinder. So the question is should I go for a standard or the brake "upgrade" one ?
From reading the "cheapest way to upgrade brakes" thread, I'm concerned about the amount of pedal travel and fluid that the upgrade cylinder will require.
cellaway
Tinkerer

Re: Master cylinder

Postby simonbuk » Sat 19.08.2017, 18:14

Isn't the upgrade cylinder slightly small in diameter ? So would require less fluid ?

I recently drove one with the Hispecs on the front and wouldn't have thought that you need any extea help by uograding the cylinder - lucky i didn't have dentures in or wearing glasses !! It quite surprised me when i stomped on the brakes !! :shock:
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, currently River Thames........

Postby dapinky » Sat 19.08.2017, 19:34

simonbuk wrote:Isn't the upgrade cylinder slightly small in diameter ? So would require less fluid ?

Wrong way round, Simon.....

The diameter is smaller, so to shift the same volume of fluid, needs to travel further.

The maths is all in the original thread, but the question is whether the narrower master cylinder will have enough travel to shift the 'extra' fluid for the Hi-Specs.

IIRC, the numbers showed that it *should* be okay, as the total moved fluid is minimal difference - but I have never tried it myself, so can't give the definative answer asked for.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby cellaway » Sat 19.08.2017, 20:21

I suppose the buy one and try it might be the best solution. The seals in the original are 25 years old so might be on their way out. As an aside I've got a couple of vented slotted front discs, standard size and the original rear callipers and discs, does any body want them ?
cellaway
Tinkerer

Postby alan e » Sat 19.08.2017, 21:24

Buy a easy bleed it makes bleeding the brakes easy works off the tyre pressure and makes it a one man or woman job, I have the same brake set up as you and have no problem but it did take a lot of bleeding before it was right.
[color=#FFBFFF]Black 1992 M100
2010 black evora
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
MG ZS EV
alan e
God

Postby simonbuk » Sat 19.08.2017, 21:28

Update your profile with you location - there are many scavengers around these parts.......... :smt098 !!
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, currently River Thames........

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 19.08.2017, 21:56

His email address suggests France...
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby cellaway » Sun 20.08.2017, 22:38

Yes France it is south west near Royan. 8 hours sailing from La Rochelle. I'm starting to wonder if we could enter a Lotus Crew for one of the local regattas. I've got a Sunrise 34. Oldie but a goodie and quick enough to win on handicap. How many sailors have we got ?
cellaway
Tinkerer

Postby Fredjohn » Sun 20.08.2017, 23:19

cellaway wrote:Yes France it is south west near Royan. 8 hours sailing from La Rochelle. I'm starting to wonder if we could enter a Lotus Crew for one of the local regattas. I've got a Sunrise 34. Oldie but a goodie and quick enough to win on handicap. How many sailors have we got ?

Yep I'm up for that. Done several flotillas and several deliveries for Neilson, with RYA dayskipper too. Mostly on 34-38 footers. Nice location though..... Rochefort is close by and was there in 2012 for the launch of L'Hermione. :D
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
MB E250 CDi coupe 2013
Boardman Endurance SLR 9.4 disc 2018
Rapido 746 2010
Lotus Evija Danish edition
Fredjohn
God

Return to Suspension and Brakes