How much extra power from an everest chip

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, Dave Eds, Nige, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover

Re: How much extra power from an everest chip

Postby Rambo » Thu 30.05.2019, 15:53

John_W wrote:You won’t be able to stick an Everest chip into a car that has 80bhp and end up with 200bhp

No good for your Reliant Robin then John :twisted:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby johnj » Thu 30.05.2019, 20:20

Thanks for the help. I have used the boost figure you have given me and now have insurance. Going for car on Saturday
johnj

Postby John_W » Fri 31.05.2019, 00:29

Good for you! You won’t regret it.
Who did you go for with insurance?
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby lotusles » Fri 31.05.2019, 19:31

I would question if or how an Insurance Assessor would even consider a chipped vehicle. Don't forget most accidents happen in rural areas so having a chip makes absolutely no difference.

When I worked for Lotus and GM as an engineer, physically looking at warranty claims, the first thing we did was to remove the ECU and send it off for testing, i'm not convinced that happens anymore unless you are claiming for mechanical failure insurance.

Even bald tyres in the modern world have no real reason unless the insurer can prove it was a contributory factor, it might however reduce your total loss value
lotusles
Enthusiast

Postby dapinky » Fri 31.05.2019, 20:32

I admit that the above post may have some merit......but.....

First, it is an offence (criminal) to deliberately lie to obtain Insurance. Okay, you probably won't ever be prosecuted for it, but it's still there.

Then *if* the chip is later discovered, your insurance will become void - ie, it will reduce to minimum legal cover (personal injury to anyone other than the driver). As such, not only will you get no payout for your own car, but you will be personally liable for damage to other vehicles/property...... and then your insurance company will come after you for anything they have to pay out for 3rd party injuries......

....and if you get injured, you get nowt (you could then lose work/house etc).

99.99% of the time you will get away with it, but if you are involved in a serious (not just fatal) accident where the vehicle is forensically examined (as oposed to just an assessor looking at the crunched fibreglass to ascertain condition), then it will be discovered and there will be lots of grief.

As most insurers do not charge much (if anything) for declaring modifications, I can see no good reason to not tell them about a chip..... even if you 'disguise' the output capacity and simply state that the chip improves engine efficiency and adds approximately 15% more economy.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby GeoffSmith » Fri 31.05.2019, 21:40

I just provided the link to the website.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby johnj » Sun 02.06.2019, 15:53

Sorry John_W only just come to back to this thread, I'm with Admiral
johnj

Postby John_W » Sun 02.06.2019, 19:07

Thanks for the response. Sounds like a bog-standard insurer, so is it your only car? I think most owners will probably have a “classic” insurance policy, where it’s not your main car. (Awaits multiple replies saying that’s cobblers! :lol: )
John
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby Kipperozzy » Sun 02.06.2019, 22:03

I’m insured with classic line , declared chip/ exhaust and brakes, cheaper to insure than my camper van :D
Kipperozzy
Tinkerer

Previous

Return to Upgrades