Seat Heaters - Fitting

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Seat Heaters - Fitting

Postby Saltire » Fri 25.03.2022, 16:11

Those who’ve fitted seat heaters to their Elans: how did you do it exactly?

I have the seats stripped down, and a pair of carbon fibre pads to fit to each seat. The backrests are fine, but I have a problem with the bases. The leather seat material is fixed round the edges (which I was expecting) but is also fixed across the middle of the seat by two transverse metal bars embedded in the foam. The underside of the leather has loops sewn in which are fixed to the transverse bar with hog rings.

I wasn’t expecting that :shock:

So, given that I can’t start cutting holes in the heat pad, and I need to fix the leather back to the seat foam somehow, I’m stuck.

Can anybody point me in the direction of a seat pad with holes or gaps in the wiring for the loops and hog rings? Or can you suggest an alternative way of fixing the leather to the heat pad and seat foam?

All ideas welcome please :D
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
2016 BMW 440i MSport
2022 Mini Countryman Cooper S
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Re: Seat Heaters - Fitting

Postby Simon_P » Fri 25.03.2022, 18:19

From memory you need to undo all of the hog rings and I think that the bar can slide out.

Have you read the write-up?

Having just re-read it I don't remember cutting any wires but I do remember them being hard to get out.
Simon_P
God

Postby dapinky » Fri 25.03.2022, 19:23

I fitted mine to Honda seats, but the process may work the same.... remove the metal hog rings and after fitting the heating pads, refit the cover using cable ties (avoiding the metal heating elements)???
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Saltire » Sat 26.03.2022, 19:51

Thanks both
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
2016 BMW 440i MSport
2022 Mini Countryman Cooper S
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Return to Upgrades