Pre-Cat Eliminator SHIPPED APRIL-18-2008

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Postby nitroman » Wed 07.05.2008, 19:30

Hi Dean,

I've not heard from you regarding your wishes vis-à-vis the disposition of your PCE. Everyone else paid me a week or two ago.

If you still desire to own this PCE, please give me a shout by May 15th. I'd like to clean up loose ends on this project.

In case you've been out of country or some such thing, know at any time you can order a PCE directly from Stan's headers for $160 + $8s/h. It won't be ceramic-coated nor come with the gasket & stainless fasteners, but the PCE itself is not synthesized unobtainium!

Failing to hear from you by May 15th, I'll sell on the one I've been holding for you.

Faithfully in your service, Matt
=============================================
Others: Please don't contact me concerning THIS PCE; it is already promised to someone should Dean not buy it.
Strive for perfection in everything. (given time)
Take the best that exists & make it better. (given inclination)
If it doesn't exist, create it. (God did)
Ignore what I say. (good advice)
nitroman

Postby Enright » Wed 07.05.2008, 20:27

Um, I've decided to post this here because it's directly related to my installing the 2 1/2" flexi downpipe which I bought on this thread, so bear with me:

I've got a couple of spare pre-cats, so I plan to open out the lower orifice on one of them as much as I dare, then bolt my luvverly new downpipe to it.

The major issue is the opposite end, where I've got to find a way of joining 2 1/2" to 2 1/4". Does anyone know offhand where I could buy such an adaptor piece?
Striking fear into the hearts of duplicate posts everywhere...! :P

BCingU,
Neil ;-)
Enright
Modificator

Postby Elanlover » Wed 07.05.2008, 20:49

Enright, I can't say what stores you might have where you live but any general automotive aftermarket parts store should have pieces like this. Even a muffler shop could supply them. You might want to consider buying one from a shop and have them stainless steel weld one end to your pipe so you will only have to clamp one side.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Pre cat

Postby woody » Wed 07.05.2008, 21:24

Neil,
If you find an adaptor buy two please, and I will collect and pay you.
I have the same problem with the 2 1/2" down pipe & sport cat I received from Matt which I have got to connect to my 2 1/4" Peco system.
Cheers,
Woody
woody
Fanatic

Postby Enright » Wed 07.05.2008, 21:32

Elanlover wrote:Enright, I can't say what stores you might have where you live but any general automotive aftermarket parts store should have pieces like this. Even a muffler shop could supply them.

I'll try a few local ones.

Elanlover wrote:You might want to consider buying one from a shop and have them stainless steel weld one end to your pipe so you will only have to clamp one side.

Thanks, good thinking! I like that one. :D

Yep Woody, will do.
Striking fear into the hearts of duplicate posts everywhere...! :P

BCingU,
Neil ;-)
Enright
Modificator

Postby nitroman » Thu 08.05.2008, 06:31

Gentlemen, you need no adapters. They should just flare the accepting-end of your existing pipe large enough so the new 2.5" pipe barely slides into it. It would be a snap to flare 2.25" pipe thus. That's always the way a flare is done, for if a preceding piece of pipe slid OVER a following piece, it would encourage a leak (think about it). However the opposite way, the correct way, slides it in, abuts it against the farthest-end of the flared-section, and makes it as hard as possible for the gasses to find a low-pressure space & reverse direction 180-degrees.

The "pipe-head" has spoken. Nah, just kidding. I don't use a pipe. :smt028
nitroman

Postby GeoffSmith » Sat 10.05.2008, 22:36

Matt, PCE delivered yesterday by Welsh Fargo (Ailwyn). :D

As expected, it is very well made and much to pretty to hide away under the engine - take a bow young man. :clap:

Geoff
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Pre-Cat Eliminator

Postby algirdas » Sun 01.06.2008, 21:09

Dear Dean:

I have your PCE. Please PM me your mailing address and I will have it ready to ship to you as soon as Matt gives me the green light. Is that okay with you?

Sincerely,

Algirdas
Last edited by algirdas on Sat 07.06.2008, 05:43, edited 1 time in total.
Noli illegitemi carborundum.
algirdas

Postby nitroman » Mon 02.06.2008, 03:31

That's fine by me.

The support bracket to the precat is to be removed upon installing the PCE. I removed mine. Perhaps there is room to leave it in, maybe not; my orderly mind just can't stomach useless parts.
nitroman

Pre-Cat Eliminator

Postby algirdas » Mon 02.06.2008, 06:25

Dear Matt:

My only question is that from looking at the heft associated with that support bracket, I can't help but wonder if it does not contribute to supporting the turbo, exhaust manifold and sundry other bits. I realize that the PCE weighs less than the part it replaces, but will we be able to get by with the exhaust studs being strong enough to support all of the weight?

Also, where did you source the gasket between the PCE and the wastegate housing? Dave Bean?

Sincerely,

Algirdas
algirdas

Re: Pre-Cat Eliminator

Postby nitroman » Mon 02.06.2008, 15:58

algirdas wrote:Dear Matt:

My only question is that from looking at the heft associated with that support bracket, I can't help but wonder if it does not contribute to supporting the turbo, exhaust manifold and sundry other bits. I realize that the PCE weighs less than the part it replaces, but will we be able to get by with the exhaust studs being strong enough to support all of the weight?

Also, where did you source the gasket between the PCE and the wastegate housing? Dave Bean?

Sincerely,

Algirdas

Herr Liepas,

1) The 6 bolts/studs at the top of the PCE are plenty strong. I've used non-ARP (ARP doesn't do metric) stainless on one car or another for six years now, and they are substantially less-strong than the factory bolts.

2) The gasket is all-metal & is a proprietary Lotus/Isuzu part.

Auf wiedersehen, Matt
nitroman

I should be paid up now

Postby DeanG » Mon 09.06.2008, 20:47

I posted a payment via paypal and haven't heard anything. If something is amiss please let me know.
DeanG
God

Pre-Cat Eliminator

Postby algirdas » Mon 09.06.2008, 21:11

Dear Dean:

It is going to be boxed up tonight and shipped off to you tomorrow.

Sincerely,

Algirdas
algirdas

Thanks Dude

Postby DeanG » Tue 10.06.2008, 00:15

Thanks dude!

I still need to get it firing on all 4 cylinders. Then I have to get the:
o mountain chip
o intake
o pre-cat eliminator
installed
DeanG
God

Postby Elanlover » Wed 18.06.2008, 20:57

I am having the PCE and a JetHot coated wastegate manifold (as Lotus calls it - the J shaped pipe that comes directly off the turbo's back end and is sometimes referred to as the "Stiffy") installed tomorrow. The engine's in fine tune right now so I'll be very curious as to the performance improvement/reduction in turbo lag when its done.

When the V5 switcher arrives I'll probably dyno the car too.
Elanlover

Postby Elanlover » Fri 20.06.2008, 01:05

Ok, now that the PCE is installed I can defintely say that there is a noticeable improvement (decrease) in turbo lag. The boost gauge hits the max in probably half the amount of time it did before the PCE was installed. I can't really comment on power increases as yet but it didn't feel like a huge boost. But then again, I already had a larger bore exhaust installed and I noticed big improvements there.

Perhaps others can post their findings here too?
Elanlover

Postby nitroman » Fri 20.06.2008, 19:02

Elanlover wrote:Ok, now that the PCE is installed I can defintely say that there is a noticeable improvement (decrease) in turbo lag. The boost gauge hits the max in probably half the amount of time it did before the PCE was installed. I can't really comment on power increases as yet but it didn't feel like a huge boost. But then again, I already had a larger bore exhaust installed and I noticed big improvements there.

Perhaps others can post their findings here too?

Brian, I would tend to agree with you for 2 reasons:
1. That's been my general experience.
2. If you think about how gasses move in a closed-pressure gradient system it matches my expectations. The precat moves the point at which exhaust gasses must be compressed (for any duration). It provides a volume of area in which the turbo's exhaust gasses can expand, then reduces that area relatively smoothly, and into a statistically much larger area than before.

However, let's say you still have the OE exhaust on your car; those volumetric reductions cannot be overcome, and the overall flow of the system will be constrained accordingly.

In the final analysis though, the throttle-responsiveness is no longer that of a turbo-charged-car, for me. At all but the lowest RPMs my M100 responds with the sudden fury of my old Triumph TR8 4-barrel... or a Maser BiTurbo in proper tune (a rare happenstance!). It beats the heck out of sitting there waiting on the car to gradually build-up to boost cut. I get my boost-cut NOW! :roll: (In the yella car anyway. Fix forthcoming.)
nitroman

Postby MattDon » Mon 30.06.2008, 22:17

i fitted an everest chip straight after my pce, so i cant comment on power, but the pickup does seem improved, and i have to say with a peco installed it makes a noticeable difference to the sound. its louder more throaty and i can hear all the pops and crackles much more clearly. check out some of my videos, the more recent ones are with the pce and the older videos are without, there is no direct comparison yet but i will do a third exhaust only video which should make comparison easier. im very happy with this product and would recommend it to anyone. nice work Matt :-D
please use email for contact
MattDon
God

Re: Pre-Cat Eliminator SHIPPED APRIL-18-2008

Postby Gazza » Thu 09.10.2014, 18:50

Selling mine on eBay as no longer needed

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 84&alt=web
S2 Midnight Blue #660
Hayward & Scott 2.5" exhaust.
Red AP brakes & Nitron adjustable suspension.
SOLD

TVR Tamora in Montreal Blue
Gazza
God

Previous

Return to Upgrades