Pre-Cat Eliminator SHIPPED APRIL-18-2008

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Pre-Cat Eliminator SHIPPED APRIL-18-2008

Postby nitroman » Thu 13.12.2007, 19:14

19/Dec/2007 reply I got from Stan:

To offset the cost of a fixture and a pattern, we would need a prepaid 10 units and the price would be $125.00 each, plus shipping by United Parcel.
Stan Fuller
Owner
Stan's Headers

That is about half the price of a Bill Sun unit. You can't beat that for value! Come on & sign up before he looses interest. Your Peco system is just begging you for this. Don't let the opportunity pass you by.

I refer you to this quote from the old site:
http://www.lotuselancentral.com/lec/Pre ... inator.pdf
"It has been my experience that removing the Pre-cat from the Lotus Elan M100 yielded the greatest amount of power increase of any previous exhaust modification."
===============================================
General Information:
Paypal fees requiring currency exchange are 4.1% of the transaction PLUS $0.30 USD / .15 GBP
To keep things simple I'll add that to your tally (when I know it). So, the final amount I state will be the total amount you owe me.
===============================================
19/Dec/2007 - This is now a BUY list
Please state your interest, NOT commitment, until we have a price (it's $125.00 each) to buy a pre-cat eliminator. The price will be dependent to a HUGE degree on the size of our order, as the vendor, Stan's Headers, can only economically make this part in a production-run and not piecemeal. He is also not interested in keeping parts on hand for us, like the top & bottom flange. His statement was "I make parts for Ford, etc., and they continually order in bulk, but it's not worth it for an occasional order." That is why he did not keep the information to make this piece.

He needs to actually see the piece before giving us an estimate. I'll be shipping him my spare PCE this week. There will be an up front charge for "development" work, which will be the same regardless of how many he makes. The more we order the more that set cost can be amortized across each PCE, so the unit price will drop with every person who joins this list.

My name will not be on this list, as I already own two. I am only facilitating this because I am a proven sucker.

Now we get to the details. Yes, this piece replaces your existing cast iron pre-cat. The is known as "the rusty trash can" and the casting is identical whether it is an SE (no paladium inside) or an S2. The flange at the terminus of the PCE will bolt to your stock exhaust or any 2.25" or 2.5" pipe. If your exhaust is larger than 2.5" it won't bolt to the PCE. The PCE mates to pipes in this size range because it continues to use the same bolt pattern as the original Lotus downpipe. The actual sealing surface becomes the flat of the flange instead of the original O-ring gasket. I have purchased gaskets from my local NAPA and will dig one out shortly. It is just a 3-bolt triangle gasket with a 2.5" ID. You'll have no trouble finding one just by taking the PCE to a parts counter.

You'll need three 3/8-16 x 1.25" bolts, three 3/8-16 nuts, and six 3/8" washers for the bottom of the PCE. These are easily found in America and I can buy them for the group if you want. The top continues to use the same bolts/studs as before.

We are only trying to provide the "missing-link" here, not some complicated solution which will only serve to exclude those who just want to buy a PCE. No matter how big the diameter of your exhaust is you still have a 2" restriction in it if you've not replaced/upgraded this part. This part is nigh-on impossible for most exhaust shops to fabricate. Comparing this to the Bill Sun PCE (I've held one in each hand at the same time!), this one has laser-cut flanges with perfectly smooth cuts whereas the BS-PCE has hand-cut flanges with cuts that waver back-and-forth; into & impeding the exhaust-stream. The body (funnel) of Stan's PCE is made from a single piece of pipe, and is made on a pipe spinning machine. Just try & find someone who owns a pipe-spinner!

I'm sure there will be issues I've not addressed, so feel free to ask.

Also, if someone is a member of the IsuzuZone board please make an entry there also, but I am not willing to front money for Isuzu members I've never heard of. Please ask their moderator to police the reliability of their own list, and let them know that once we commit their money will need to be paid by all before I'm gonna pay Stan out of my pocket.

I'm just trying to provide a service here, not be a businessman with an unpleasant Accounts Receivable. -Matthew Welsh-

Interest to buy:
1)
2)
3)
Last edited by nitroman on Fri 18.04.2008, 23:54, edited 23 times in total.
nitroman

Re: Pre-cat eliminator interest list

Postby Elanlover » Thu 13.12.2007, 19:53

Interest to buy:

1) Elanlover
2)
3)
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby Doug » Thu 13.12.2007, 20:32

Matt, would this be a piece to swap into a stock set-up I assume? Just wanting people to understand what part it will be -- i.e. remove pre-cat cast iron piece and put this one in instead??
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby Elanlover » Thu 13.12.2007, 21:02

Might also need to specify the bottom end dimensions. As in, is it to fit the stock , 2.25, 2.5, etc. exhaust setup. I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to have an exhaust shop weld up a downpipe and reducer to mate though. Gaskets perhaps as well???
Elanlover

Postby nitroman » Thu 13.12.2007, 22:20

Interest to buy:

1) Elanlover
2) Woody
3)

Gentlemen, continue asking questions & I will incorporate all answers into the original post at the top of the thread so that information can be found concisely.
Strive for perfection in everything. (given time)
Take the best that exists & make it better. (given inclination)
If it doesn't exist, create it. (God did)
Ignore what I say. (good advice)
nitroman

Postby Elanlover » Thu 13.12.2007, 22:28

nitroman wrote:Gentlemen, continue asking questions & I will incorporate all answers into the original post at the top of the thread so that information can be found concisely.

Ok..........

Hypothetically speaking, does it make any sense at all to also include in this production run a downpipe section? What I'm thinking is that the first "half" of the downpipe could be made in a way that attaches to the PCE in a 2.5" diameter. Your local exhaust shop could then mate a reducer and flex section (if desired) to fit your specific needs based upon the size of your exhaust system. In fact, the PCE could be one piece including the curved part of the downpipe if you wanted.

Don't know if this makes any sense or is worth the effort but we'll have to accomodate the various exhaust sizes out there some how. I'm not at all familiar with what the bottom end of the pre-cat looks like or what size its opening is. So, this could be a moot discussion point :roll:
Elanlover

Postby DeanG » Sun 16.12.2007, 22:56

I'm interested.
DeanG
God

Postby Doug » Mon 17.12.2007, 05:57

DeanG wrote:I'm interested.

Interest to buy:

1) Elanlover
2) Woody
3) DeanG
4)
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby dunnlor » Mon 17.12.2007, 13:52

Interest to buy:

1) Elanlover
2) Woody
3) DeanG
4) Dunnlor
dunnlor
Enthusiast

Postby nitroman » Wed 19.12.2007, 23:13

Here's the reply I got from Stan today:

To offset the cost of a fixture and a pattern, we would need a prepaid 10 units and the price would be $125.00 each, plus shipping by United Parcel.
Stan Fuller
Owner
Stan's Headers

That is about half the price of a Bill Sun unit. You can't beat that for value! Come on & sign up before he looses interest. Your Peco system is just begging you for this. Don't let this opportunity pass you by.

I refer you to this quote from the old site:
http://www.lotuselancentral.com/lec/PreCatEliminator.pdf
"It has been my experience that removing the Pre-cat from the Lotus Elan M100 yielded the greatest amount of power increase of any previous exhaust modification."

Compare the cut of the flanges to the flange cuts on the Bill Sun unit in the link. Also note the perfectly cylindrical nature of the cone, and that it's formed as a single piece without a weld in the center.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by nitroman on Thu 20.12.2007, 23:58, edited 3 times in total.
nitroman

Postby nitroman » Thu 20.12.2007, 01:01

Intent to buy:

1) Elanlover
2) Woody
3) DeanG
4) Dunnlor

I've changed interest to intent. Once we reach 10 people I'll pay Stan and start bugging you for cash.
nitroman

Postby Enright » Thu 20.12.2007, 01:34

That is a nice looking piece of kit. Mated to a flexible downpipe without a squish it would remove a hell of a restriction from the system.
For anyone who's going over 1bar boost with the standard turbo I'd say it's highly recommended, especially with the exchange rate as it is at the moment.
The only reason I haven't signed up is that I've got a spare pre-cat that I can have machined out at work, and my car has got over 100k on it anyway so I'm not going to be throwing big power upgrades at it.
Striking fear into the hearts of duplicate posts everywhere...! :P

BCingU,
Neil ;-)
Enright
Modificator

Postby Elanlover » Thu 20.12.2007, 02:27

Matt, just to confirm, I'm in for "intent" to buy and would be happy to pay you as soon as we reach 10 and you place the order. Anyone with a Fed car should really consider this. Possibly anyone with a non-Fed car that has a pre-cat as well. $125 is really cheap!
Elanlover

Postby F1 LOTUS » Thu 20.12.2007, 05:30

nitroman wrote:Intent to buy:

1) Elanlover
2) Woody
3) DeanG
4) Dunnlor
5) F1 LOTUS-CERAMIC

Well played Niters!

I've changed interest to intent. Once we reach 10 people I'll pay Stan and start bugging you for cash.
Last edited by F1 LOTUS on Thu 20.12.2007, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
F1 LOTUS
God

Postby ailwyn » Thu 20.12.2007, 09:25

So what are you all doing about a main cat then?

I have been after, for a while, a sportcat setup for my S2. I presume that the reason a lot of US cars still have a pre-cat is that the main cat has been removed (to get rid of the restriction)?

In order to keep Nitro's thread on-topic, best if any replies to this are posted here:
http://www.lotuselancentral.com/forum/v ... 8&start=22

Ailwyn
ailwyn
Forum Member

Postby Paul.P » Thu 20.12.2007, 10:46

Matt, will these be jet-hot coated, as we obviously won't be able to use the lower heat shields.
JPS M100 was built from bare chassis up to create one off M100 in the mould of JPS Team Lotus
Paul.P
God

Postby Elanlover » Thu 20.12.2007, 14:02

ailwyn wrote:So what are you all doing about a main cat then?

I hesitate to speak for others but I would suspect that a lot of people still have the main and pre-cat installed. I do. I've been looking for a pre-cat eliminator for a little while. I didn't want to take the route of hollowing out the pre-cat as I wanted to keep that part intact. I have a free flowing main cat installed as part of my new exhaust.

By the way, when I corresponded with Bill Sun (the guy who started the original pre-cat eliminator craze so I'm told) he confirmed that he car passes emissions testing every year with flying colours with just the main cat. And he's in California.
Elanlover

Postby nitroman » Thu 20.12.2007, 16:48

Paul.P wrote:Matt, will these be jet-hot coated, as we obviously won't be able to use the lower heat shields.

Hi Paul. Anyone who wants a ceramic coating will be accommodated. This will be extra of course. I've a local source for this via a powder-coating shop who also sprays/bakes on an excellent looking polished ceramic coating. His price will fluctuate with the job size. I'll also get an actual JH quote to see which is less. Whoever does it I'll make sure it's plated & polished both inside & out to maximize heat retention..

If anyone wants ceramic coating please add CERAMIC after your name. I'm guessing this will be $25 to $35 extra. If I go with the local place turn-around time is 5 days. Jet-Hot will take several weeks. With JH the color/coating is individually selectable by you & the price won't change due to their 'constant' setup stations. With the local shop it is time consuming for them to setup a coating... so we'll just go with the shiny one. Stan also does ceramic coating but I've never seen an example of his work. I'm hessitant to explore that route as then I'd be unsure of the product I'm promising.
Last edited by nitroman on Thu 20.12.2007, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.
nitroman

Postby Elanlover » Thu 20.12.2007, 16:58

Intent to buy:

1) Elanlover - CERAMIC (JH perferably - inside and out)
2) Woody
3) DeanG
4) Dunnlor
5) F1 LOTUS
Elanlover

Postby Paul.P » Thu 20.12.2007, 17:55

Thanks for that info Matt, shiney will do me, especially as it won't be seen, as long as it contains the heat.
Intent to buy:

1) Elanlover - CERAMIC (JH perferably - inside and out)
2) Woody
3) DeanG
4) Dunnlor
5) F1 LOTUS
6) Paul.P - CERAMIC
JPS M100 was built from bare chassis up to create one off M100 in the mould of JPS Team Lotus
Paul.P
God

Next

Return to Upgrades