GT2560R Upgrade

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: GT2560R Upgrade

Postby Elanlover » Wed 25.11.2009, 18:55

tigerdog wrote:EBC would be fun but I think you'd have more fun if you could get your car on a rolling road with Alan/ESM present. From what we've seen with others, the stock chip overfuels most of the time with 550cc injectors. I can also confirm the overfueling, since my car barely passes California emissions testing and has fuel economy significantly lower than what others report. Plus, the finer control of onset of boost afforded by Alan's chips should make driving the beast easier.

I'd buy one, too, if Alan had such a chip available. Heck, I'd take my car to Alan except I'd get really damp driving it there. :wink:

I agree. I like the idea of an ungraded turbo and injectors but not without a properly mapped ECU. Otherwise its all guesswork as to whether the engine is running at peak efficiency, power output and not exceeding any safety margins. If Alan was able and inclined to create a chip for this upgrade then I'd definitely do it.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby Monty » Wed 25.11.2009, 22:11

Yep, in an ideal world it would be best to have a Chip design for this upgrade but this isn`t available and i don`t know if Alan has even looked in to this. The other option is to replace the ECU but thats a costly affair and something that Dico and I will look in to if a chip is never developed, But for now i think it`s been proven that 550 injectors, 3 bar map, and EBC works well, but obviously won`t be running at it`s peak performance compared to an programable ECU.

Anyways it`ll be Dico`s that`ll go pop 1st LMAO :-D
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby tigerdog » Thu 26.11.2009, 20:07

Monty wrote:Yep, in an ideal world it would be best to have a Chip design for this upgrade but this isn`t available and i don`t know if Alan has even looked in to this. The other option is to replace the ECU but thats a costly affair and something that Dico and I will look in to if a chip is never developed, But for now i think it`s been proven that 550 injectors, 3 bar map, and EBC works well, but obviously won`t be running at it`s peak performance compared to an programable ECU.

Anyways it`ll be Dico`s that`ll go pop 1st LMAO :-D

I'm reasonably sure Alan has looked into it - we've exchanged several PMs on the subject. His biggest constraints are time (like all of us) and especially not having a car from which to pull useful data.
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby Monty » Fri 27.11.2009, 01:00

tigerdog wrote:I'm reasonably sure Alan has looked into it - we've exchanged several PMs on the subject. His biggest constraints are time (like all of us) and especially not having a car from which to pull useful data.

I emailed Alan about the update stock chip for Dico and did ask him a quick question about the Chip for the Garrett upgrade.

His reply
For the garrett turbo version the thing I really need to figure out is how the fueling code works. It's not easy (understatement) but it's not a hopeless cause either. Be patient, I'll spend some time on it over Christmas.

So there is still hope there :-D so for now anyone thinking of going to an aftermarlet ECU should hold on.
I`m just thinking maybe Dico should just use a bleed valve for now and a decent boost gauge rather than waste money on a EBC when the money might be better of going to Alan if he can do a custom chip :?
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby RichardK » Fri 27.11.2009, 09:28

I'd definately be in for this - a single switchable chip would be the neatest solution.

I guess I'm going to have to change the boost gauge too!
CAPETOWN - RED 92 SE: V5 and LGM Turbo Installed
NEW ORLEANS - YELLOW 91 FED. Stock.
RichardK
Fanatic

Postby CRAMBURY RS » Tue 01.12.2009, 02:55

i assume that by EBC you mean electronic boost controller?

that being the case, let me inform you about the unfortunate effects of installing a 3 bar map with larger injectors. the voltage range from the sensor is the same, but the amount of pressure (boost or vacuum) is not the same as OEM at equal voltage readings, which leads the ECU to think that boost is lower and timing gets highly advanced causing detonation, leading to cracked blocked and chipped pistons under larger loads.

if you are going to run more boost, you need to be able to control timing. please be careful! the stock ECU is plenty capable of supporting 12 or 13 psi within a safe margin and moderate level of performance. don't blow up your car over a 3-5 psi. drive it like you stole with 12psi and when your ready, upgrade all your fuel system and ECM together. that gives you time to let others develop a properly tuned mapped which i am sure they will gladly share :wink:

in fact, i have recently purchased a Haltech and expect to run 22psi on a dual stage EBC. i should have it installed this spring and tuned by end of summer. i will gladly share that a/f fuel map with anyone interested.
CRAMBURY RS
Enthusiast

Postby CRAMBURY RS » Tue 30.03.2010, 22:02

i'm starting to get bored of the 12psi and refuse to run an A/F controller without timing abilities, i've only got a SAFCII laying around. i got my haltech, 450cc injectors and a 3 bar map for later.

i'm also installing cams:

intake 218/.350" @ .050 lift
exhaust 225/.350" @ .050 lift

i'll be installing them before the haltech upgrade. is anyone interested in the results of the cams? maybe some video?

for the price, i figured it would yield the greatest power increase than say nitrous or a larger GT series turbo.
CRAMBURY RS
Enthusiast

Postby Monty » Tue 30.03.2010, 22:36

CRAMBURY RS wrote:
i'll be installing them before the haltech upgrade. is anyone interested in the results of the cams? maybe some video?

Yeah, why not :-D

How come you went for the 450 injectors?
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby CRAMBURY RS » Wed 31.03.2010, 03:57

Monty wrote:
CRAMBURY RS wrote:

Yeah, why not :-D

How come you went for the 450 injectors?

they were free! :D also, the stock 322cc have handled the 12psi well, even ran pig rich with ratio's as high as 10:1 under WOT. so i fugure nearly 50% more fuel and the adjustable fuel pressure regulator should be able to compensate for the next 8-10 psi of boost. next step will be to upgrade the fuel pump.
CRAMBURY RS
Enthusiast

Postby CRAMBURY RS » Tue 06.04.2010, 08:13

update, getting a Gtech Pro to test the upgrade. i'll post results later of the cam upgrade and then after the custom intake manifold.
CRAMBURY RS
Enthusiast

Postby CRAMBURY RS » Tue 27.04.2010, 22:33

goods are in, will wait to install after i get my gtech. results and video soon to come.

CRAMBURY RS
Enthusiast

Postby CRAMBURY RS » Tue 20.07.2010, 22:09

CAMS going in before august 13th b/c Robie the Robot is coming to help tune the HALTECH. also in the works:

BOSCH 255lph fuel pump
450cc injectors
3 Bar Map
Custom upper plenum built off secondaries
Rodeo Throttle Body (0.200" larger throttle plate and sensor interchange)
CRAMBURY RS
Enthusiast

Postby knoxmotorsports » Thu 22.07.2010, 15:57

very nice plenum.

you may want to look into the way air distributes itself through an opening on the front of a manifold. I have a feeling 1 and 2 will be running richer than 3 and 4 with the throttle on the end like that. most plenums of that style employ either a diffuser plenum, a tapered plenum roof, or a throttle body that is 90* from the direction of airflow into the inlet ports. food for thought. but that ought to be better midrange and at the top end than the standard piece
-Billy

Knox Motorsports
Richmond, VA
USA
www.knoxmotorsports.us
knoxmotorsports
Enthusiast

Postby CRAMBURY RS » Thu 22.07.2010, 21:29

knoxmotorsports wrote:very nice plenum.

you may want to look into the way air distributes itself through an opening on the front of a manifold. I have a feeling 1 and 2 will be running richer than 3 and 4 with the throttle on the end like that. most plenums of that style employ either a diffuser plenum, a tapered plenum roof, or a throttle body that is 90* from the direction of airflow into the inlet ports. food for thought. but that ought to be better midrange and at the top end than the standard piece

thanks! :D

i assumed that under boost it won't make a significant difference since the intake system will be pressurized. it's more a project of mine to make something else unique about my setup and hopefully it pays off. otherwise, i'm moving to a 1.8L manifold without secondaries and the RODEO TB.

looking at the edlebrock designs for like honda B-series, the plenum expands past the TB with the air flow in line with the plenum and perpendicular to the runners. in my case, it will expand a lot past the throttle plate then transition down the plenum. we'll have to wait and see :p
CRAMBURY RS
Enthusiast

Postby racerstev » Mon 26.07.2010, 01:11

I hated the 1.8 intake, lost a bunch of power between 3500 and 5000. Nice looking manifold BTW.
racerstev
Fanatic

Postby CRAMBURY RS » Mon 26.07.2010, 07:08

racerstev wrote:I hated the 1.8 intake, lost a bunch of power between 3500 and 5000. Nice looking manifold BTW.

really? wow, figured the power loss would have been lower, since the secondaries were removed. i'll have to run a itouch dyno and see. no access to a real AWD dyno in my area less than a 2 hour drive.

anyway, on a side note...i only got a partial run in, but the itouch/iphone dynolicious app read me a 222whp @ 12psi. the car weighs in at 2900lbs even with me in it and a full tank of fuel. i'll try and get a complete run in before the end of the week, because that's when i do cams :banana:
CRAMBURY RS
Enthusiast

Postby racerstev » Mon 26.07.2010, 13:38

It's velocity, it does the same thing if you just leave the seconderay's open, huge hole between 3500 and 5000. Now the funny thing, on a 1.8 the 1.6 intake dosn't
give any advantage. Never could figure that one out.

Steve
racerstev
Fanatic

Postby CRAMBURY RS » Mon 02.08.2010, 17:27

lol...this upgrade thread has basically become my project thread :oops:

got the cams in and they feel awesome. haven't done another dynolicious run off the iphone/itouch yet. i did notice a noticeable difference in the tome of the exhaust. video link below. overall, the engine seems to breath better AND the rear end of the car squats noticeably under acceleration.

the timing belt gave me a workout! i COULD NOT get the crank pulley off :evil: thank goodness i had the center timing cover removed when i rebuilt the engine, i was able to see the timing marks on the pump and crank gear :D

i ended up creating a boost leak somewhere during my enthusiastic test drive(s). i'll find that leak and do another HP run. the first run gave me an estimated 222whp on the current setup.

enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73LrEQzNPuA
CRAMBURY RS
Enthusiast

Postby CRAMBURY RS » Wed 19.10.2011, 23:36

figured i would post this here and not hijack LGM's group buy thread:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lotus-Elan-M100 ... 2a14f8cbc0

it's my LAST T25 adapter and LGM's old 2.25" SS downpipe elbow.
CRAMBURY RS
Enthusiast

Postby pmsmotosports » Wed 16.09.2015, 21:46

hello I have a 1991 elan and I want to do the same upgrade you did is there any way you can tell me all the parts needed and all photos of your work please
thank you
pmsmotosports
Welcome to LEC - please introduce yourself

PreviousNext

Return to Upgrades