engine conversion, ideas and advice.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: engine conversion, ideas and advice.

Postby MattDon » Thu 25.10.2012, 19:35

fair enough, was hoping youd be able to tell me if you thought the smaller turbo wasnt upto the job, but seems like your hungrier for more than i am. im still hoping to avoid replacing my turbo and just getting mine hybridised, if it doesnt cost too much.
please use email for contact
MattDon
God

Postby abmunro » Thu 25.10.2012, 19:58

I would say 270 BHP is more than enough!!

But as I have so much already I was thinking I may as well carry on...
91 Elan SE 24k miles, 270 BHP @ 1.25 barg. Roll hoops + fairings+ speed humps Elise lights. S2 alloys. Nitrons& Eibachs,AP's front & Hi Spec rear brakes
abmunro
God

Postby MattDon » Thu 25.10.2012, 20:15

ha like philosophy, so i guess your the man to ask, how does the car handle the power? as i said before i head it said 220hp was about as much as one should put through front wheels, have you found this to be true? or has the equal driveshaft setup worked well enough to cope?
MattDon
God

Postby abmunro » Thu 25.10.2012, 22:06

MattDon wrote:ha like philosophy, so i guess your the man to ask, how does the car handle the power? as i said before i head it said 220hp was about as much as one should put through front wheels, have you found this to be true? or has the equal driveshaft setup worked well enough to cope?

Hi Matt

I also have Quaiffe LSD fitted too.

I tend not to put full power down and make severe turns at the same time

I think 220bhp with Quaiffe is no probs

Tony
91 Elan SE 24k miles, 270 BHP @ 1.25 barg. Roll hoops + fairings+ speed humps Elise lights. S2 alloys. Nitrons& Eibachs,AP's front & Hi Spec rear brakes
abmunro
God

Postby nyssa7 » Sat 27.10.2012, 23:51

MattDon wrote:ha like philosophy, so i guess your the man to ask, how does the car handle the power? as i said before i head it said 220hp was about as much as one should put through front wheels, have you found this to be true? or has the equal driveshaft setup worked well enough to cope?

Funny how the value quoted as being "the most you can put through the front wheels" changes regularly, there are prodction cars getting close to 300bhp now, my Lancia race car never had any torque steer issues with 587bhp and fwd
nyssa7
Tinkerer

Postby norman lovie » Sun 28.10.2012, 11:55

and my old saab had no issue with 370hp - and plenty folks are pushing 500 with them
had a big issue with 390ft/lbs torque though - you need to think about going down the route of an after-market mappable ECU linked to an boost control valve- ideally one that lets you map for different gears - then you can dial in the torque curve to suit your needs.
norman lovie
Enthusiast

Postby PhilD » Fri 01.02.2013, 21:56

I just wish someone would actually do a conversion. It would do us all a favour to see if its possble and how it works out. None of our engines are getting any younger!
PhilD

Postby MattDon » Sun 03.02.2013, 02:51

Problem is mate, there's not an engine that's good enough to be worth the cost, our little engine are pretty bloody good and can be tuned very cheaply, only down side to them is that they sound about plain. And for me at least I'd rather put the money towards something else, say an evora. :-)
MattDon
God

Previous

Return to Upgrades